Join the 2018-19 Razzball Fantasy Premier League for a chance at prizes! Don’t know about Fantasy Soccer? That’s okay, Smokey is here to walk with you throughout this journey of exploration and an absurd amount of accent marks on player names. So probably hide all your snacks. It’ll be a long journey…
Maybe they thought they were safe by bringing Kelvin Herrera as a Linus blanket until Doolittle returned. Maybe they were comfy with the veterans that they had lined up just in case. Well that “just in case” just happened. Herrera is now on the DL and Madson assumes the role of all roles. (Until Sean Doolittle comes back from a stressed out foot.) The Nats had such promise in preseason and even after the acquisition of Kelvin, to be a good bullpen. Former closers, like most men, are there to do their job and file their income tax returns on time like big boys. Well, they disappointed me and definitely the owners of Doolittle. Since July 3rd, or basically the last time Doolittle pitched, they have four saves. Four, fore, for! Only ahead of teams like the Padres, Blue Jays and Angels. By the way, if you are scoring at home the Angels haven’t had a save in 27 games. That is actually more mind-blowing than a team with decent starting pitching to only get four whole damn saves. Makes save-chasing on Madson or the like seem glum. So save your FAAB bucks for another day because Sean should be back within the fortnight, no idea if he mastered his emote dances yet though. Not that it really matters, but a save earned is a save kept. I know that works with pennies, wasn’t sure if that helped with counting stats at all. The season is coming down the stretch, do you have what it takes oh glutens of the SAGNOF? If you feel weary or just on cruise control because of Fantasy Football, than relax take a gander on some useful bullpen stuff, followed by the rankings…
- The brain freezes currently outweigh the board here. Too many situations that are TBD or a committee. And I even was so nice to put two committees in the employed section because it looked wonky.
- I have shaken my fist for too many a time at Gabe Kapler this year. Stupid outsmart everyone BS. Play Dominguez ya tool.
- With Roberto Osuna now in the Astros pen, Rondon is on full alert. Yes, I have him ranked where he is because it is today, not tomorrow. If it were tomorrow, I would severely hungover and chugging Pedialyte.
- Oh boy, get excited for Ken Giles changing teams and maybe being the closer. Womp, 20 ERA in his three appearances. Great start, his ERA in US currency is 32.
- I am falling in love with the Braves bullpen more and more everyday. For dynasty purposes, as you sure know, they are a dreamboat of pitching studs. Minter and Biddle look poised to be back end guys for a long time.
- I honestly think I would prefer owning Adam Conley to Drew Steckenrider.
- Deep-leaguers, keep an eye on the Mets giving Bobby Wahl a look.
- Sleepy Reliever of the Week: Not really a sleeper at all, but Jeurys Familia is either buying into the A’s bullpen goodness or is playing for a contract next year. 3 wins, a save and 11 plus K rate since being traded. Good stuff. Will be more interesting with Fernando Rodney around.
You know that restaurant your girlfriend/wife/what-have-you likes to go to that charges, like, $12 for a salad? Every time you go there, you have a thoroughly solid meal. No complaints, except you just paid $12 for a salad when you could’ve went to McDonald’s and stuffed you and your woman for ten schmools and had $2 in quarters left over to make the hotel bed vibrate. These closers are $12 salads.
Imagine you’re following a donkey, who’s wearing a wool cap, through a desert for 1700 miles. Why are you following a donkey? Because he promises you something wonderful and you just need to trust him. Does the donkey talk? Yes. Yes, he does talk. So when you and the donkey in the wool cap arrive at his destination, he removes the wool cap to reveal a horn. The donkey is a unicorn and his gift to you for your trust is saves. These closers are Donkeycorns.
These guys are the men that make the save market go round. They punch in, punch out. Have the job, no real threat to speak of, and are basically just there to collect great benny’s so they can take care of their crippled brother. Who is only really crippled because he is scared of the sun.
I’m going on a picnic and I’m bringing apples, bananas and Carlos Marmol– Wait, he just gave up 12 earned runs and hit Castro in the head with a pick-off throw. Brain freeze! Make it stop! Use the following closers at your own risk.