Trade deadline is fast approaching Wednesday, July 31, at 4 PM ET. There is no waiver deadline this year, so, the next few days could contain a number of closer changes. It’s time to take your shots on potential closer changes and see what happens.
- Some of the closers that have been rumored to be on the move are Edwin Diaz, Will Smith, Mychael Givens, Shane Greene, Ken Giles, Felipe Vazquez, Ian Kennedy, Alex Colome, Ken Giles, Raisel Iglesias, and Roenis Elias. Yes, that’s just about every reliever on a losing team, but those are all the players you’ll see rumored. Go check out the most recent closer column for the depth charts.
- Greg Holland is out as closer. It’s a bit of guessing game as to who gets the role next, but in order, I’d put my money on Yoshihisa Hirano, then Yoan Lopez, and finally Archie Bradley. Archie’s probably the best of the group, but the DBacks have fought the idea of him being closer before as they like him in a multi-inning role.
- Jose Leclerc came on and blew a save opportunity on Sunday. He had gotten a late inning opps 2 out of the last 3 with Chris Martin getting the late inning work in between. This may kick it back into a time share, or maybe toward Chris Martin over Leclerc.
- David Fletcher (70% owned on Fantrax) has 3 stolen bases in the last 14 days. He’s been playing every day and leading off.
- Ditto for Leury Garcia (43% owned) who also has 3 stolen bases in the last 2 weeks and is also leading off every day.
- If you’re looking deeper or at middle infield, it’s a temporary fix until Matt Carpenter returns, but Yairo Munoz is getting playing time and stealing bags while he has playing time.
- Jarrod Dyson may have been dropped after slumping for a few weeks, but is still somebody that can steal some bags if that’s what you need.
- The top 6 teams in stolen bases in July are the Brewers, Nationals, Braves, Rays, Indians, and Rangers.
- The bottom 6 teams in stolen bases in July are the Mets, Marlins, Giants, Twins, Pirates, and Cubs.
Bottom 20 Catchers (min. 10 games started)
Bottom 20 Pitchers (min. 50 IP)