The trade deadline usually makes a real hash out of bullpens, and this year was no different. Closers become just ordinary relievers. Ordinary relievers become closers on teams punting. Even further down, the holds through the obtuse guys now become a usable commodity. Fantasy baseball with hold leagues, catch the spirit! So like I was just saying, we have seen 5-6 teams rip apart their pecking order for hold-dom, and in some cases muddle up the closer order by trade, attrition, or subtraction. This is a good thing, makes decisions easier. Aim for guys on teams that are still getting you save opportunities. If you can’t find the stat, always fall back on the standings to guide your waiver wire hand. Or even more finite, look at that teams W/L record over the last 10 games. It is no coincidence that the top three teams in save opportunities since the All-Star break have winning records (Dodgers, Mariners, and Blue Jays). Also, if you haven’t been streaming Holds yet this year, there is no better time than the present. The list of holds leaders over the last 15 games is littered with names that weren’t even in print by me for the whole year. So don’t be afraid to roster the unknown rather than a commodity because with the season basically over in six weeks (three if you have playoffs), every one counts and every H2H win counts. Cheers!
Like Fantasy? Wanna try something different but with the same name as football? Try Fantasy Soccer… Razzball style. Join the RCL version of FPL league play with code 188358-66431.
- No Miller time for the next week or so. Gotta hold unfortunately. Joe Smith is the lateral on same team add, if you need to, move on.
- Just like I predicted weeks ago, Tommy Hunter leads the majors in Holds the last fortnight with 5. The Rays are still in the thick of things so he fits into the lede’s chase winner’s not loser’s scenario.
- If the Royals are leading, they like to get all their useful relievers in the game in order. Peter Moylan, Mike Minor, Joakim Soria, then the closer. Team is scrapping together trying to get a Moustakas statue outside the waterfall. Me personally? I would want it under the Waterfall. Cocktail style, with or without Elizabeth Shue.
- Best thing about Kirby Yates is that his name is freaking Kirby Yates. Sounds made up like a character from H.R. Pufnstuf. Has been stellar 15-plus K-rate and 3 holds in 7 appearances.
- Scouring the stats for a great would be closer next year? Carl Edwards Jr. Dude checks every box and Wade davis is a free agent. Has the lowest batting average against among relievers with 30 plus innings at .119 or basically 17 hits against 143 batters faced.
- New entry into the SP/RP regime is Asher Wojciechowski, congrats.
- Sleeper reliever of the week: Emilio Pagan from Seattle.
|Player||Holds/BS||App with Lead||IR Runners/IR Scored|