A bunch of bullpens have undergone reseeding after a flurry of deadline moves. It’s not a bad time to grab a speculative arm in an uncertain situation. As the ultimate standing climber, Petr Baelish, once said, “Chaos is a ladder.” Just be careful who you trust your ratio’s with…
- The Cubs bullpen is a smoldering dumpster. Not on fire yet, but on notice. Craig Kimbrel needs an IL stint where he’ll join Brandon Kintzler. Steve Cishek gave up two more runs than outs in his last appearance (3-1). Pedro Strop was activated but won’t be used in save situations, apparently. That makes David Phelps the technical favorite?
- Jose Leclerc is getting yet another shot at regaining his closer role with Texas. I’m not holding my breath. Shawn Kelley just came off the IL and will be ready to fill in if/when Leclerc has his usual control issues.
- We’re finally getting Archie Bradley the closer. He’s earned two straight saves after the team designated Greg Holland for assignment. I’d be cautiously optimistic as a Bradley holder while keeping one eye on Yoan Lopez and Yoshi Hirano.
- Nick Anderson seems to be settling in as Tampa’s setup man, to the chagrin of Deigo Castillo owners. It’s the Rays, so we need more of a signal before knowing the hierarchy with better certainty. If you paid for him last week it’s encouraging that he’s in the mix, though.
- The Mets trade of Jarred Kelenic looks worse every day. Edwin Diaz is struggling again. Robinson Cano’s leg fell. Seth Lugo is about to be the interim closer. I’d suggest contracting the Mets if their comedic relief were so enjoyable.
- The Brewers are playing all kinds of musical chairs since adding parts at the deadline. Drew Pomeranz still looks solid as a reliever while Freddy Peralta has stumbled lately. Matt Albers was the only option available Tuesday night and picked up a save. It’s nice to have options but at some point having a role helps a reliever. Let’s see how the Brew Crew define things going forward.
Closers In Waiting
The next men up for saves. One break just needs to go their way.
K It Up
Get a category enhancer from these high K/9 strikeout artists.
- Nick Anderson
- Andres Munoz
- Adam Ottavino
- Matt Barnes
- Giovany Gallegos
- Tayron Guerrero
- Robert Stephenson