The damn is breaking on many bullpens, with holes springing in a good amount of others. If you landed a top tier arm consider yourself immensely lucky. The rest of us schmoes will be in the bullpen garbage heaps looking for a few cans to trade for a nickel. The tiers are GIF themed this week, so no one has to think too hard.
- Sean Newcomb has transitioned to the bullpen well. He’s ditched his changeup in favor of his wipeout curveball. If he limits the walks he will get opportunities to close. Especially with groundball pitcher Luke Jackson finally running into so bad luck on balls getting through the infield. Managers usually feel like extreme groundballers are better eighth-inning options.
- The Rockies will have to promote someone with Wade Davis hitting the IL. Scott Ohberg has been pretty good since last season and figures to be the fill in. Remember that logic doesn’t always apply when guessing at manager decisions, though. Bryan Shaw and Carlos Estevez have both closed before. They could be worth a speculative add in deeper leagues.
- All signs were pointing to Jose Leclerc returning to his closing role. Shawn Kelley came off the IL and spit in the face of those hoping for a Leclerc save, closing out two straight. For what it’s worth Leclerc was warming up a few nights ago when Chris Martin got in trouble. Still, if Kelley is getting it done they may see where he takes them.
- The Nationals bullpen has turned into a plague ship ever since signing Trevor Rosenthal. Coincidence?
- Boston is ready to throw in the towel on Ryan Brasier as closer. They can’t seem to find any to replace him. This is obviously because Matt Barnes insulted Alex Cora’s mother. Someone named Marcus Walden blew a save Wednesday. Brandon Workman notched a save Monday but was then used in the middle innings the rest of the week. I added a couple of Workman shares since his 13.3 K/9 is stellar and the BB/9 has been better in May.
- Steve Cishek has done a bang-up job since Pedro Strop hit the IL. Between that and Strop’s history as a setup man, Cishek may be the guy for the foreseeable future. Sorry, what’s that? They still have Brandon Morrow? I can’t hear you over my own roaring laughter.
A great GIF to express all-around excitement.
- Edwin Diaz (Jeurys Familia, Robert Gsellman)
- Kirby Yates (Craig Stammen, Trey Wingenter)
- Felipe Vazquez (Kyle Crick)
- Blake Treinen (Lou Trivino)
- Roberto Osuna (Ryan Pressly, Hector Rondon)
- Kenley Jansen (Pedro Baez)
- Brad Hand (Nick Wittgren, Adam Cimber)
- Josh Hader (Junior Guerra, Jeremy Jeffress)
- Aroldis Chapman (Adam Ottavino, Zach Britton)
Chang Allows It.GIF
Nothing flashy, just a solid everyday GIF.
- Sean Doolittle (Kyle Barraclough)
- Will Smith (Tony Watson, Reyes Moronta)
- Jose Alvarado / Diego Castillo (Emilio Pagan)
- Shane Greene (Joe Jimenez)
- Jordan Hicks (Andrew Miller)
- Scott Oberg (Bryan Shaw, Carlos Estevez, IL: Wade Davis)
- Ken Giles (Joe Biagini)
- Alex Colome (Kelvin Herrera, Nate Jones)
- Blake Parker / Taylor Rogers (Trevor May)
Wynonna Does Math.GIF
I want to convey profuse confusion.
- Hector Neris (Seranthony Dominguez / Pat Neshek)
- Greg Holland (Archie Bradley, Yoshihisa Hirano)
- Hansel Robles / Ty Buttrey (Cody Allen)
- Raisel Iglesias (Jared Hughes, David Hernandez)
- Shawn Kelley / Chris Martin (Jose Leclerc)
- Steve Cishek / Brandon Kintzler / Carl Edwards Jr. (IL: Pedro Strop, Brandon Morrow)
- Luke Jackson / Sean Newcomb
When something is on the level of the contents of a garabage receptacle, except set on fire.
- Ryan Brasier / Matt Barnes / Brandon Workman / Marcus Walden
- Sergio Romo / Adam Conley
- Mychal Givens / Paul Fry / Richard Bleier
- Ian Kennedy / Wily Peralta / Jake Diekman
- Roenis Elias /Brandon Brennan (Corey Gearrin, IL: Hunter Strickland)