Yours truly caved in and purchased a minivan last week with the arrival of child number two. If you decline to take any further of my baseball advice I will understand. Let me tell you something, though. I love it. It’s roomy. There’s a TV in it. The sound of rain on the giant flat roof is hypnotically melodic. Just like a fantasy season, life goes in stages. Don’t get stuck holding on to something from yesterday that will ruin your tomorrow. You could end up like Matt Foley, thrice divorced, eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van, down by the river. Tiers are of course van themed.
- Don’t throw your Daniel Hudson shares in the river even with Sean Doolittle set to make a rehab appearance. The Nats have shown a desire to have a righty compliment previously and that will only be increased now. Hudson seems their favorite at the moment. Especially with guys like Hunter Strickland doing Hunter Strickland things such as losing fights with inanimate objects.
- The Rockies gave a save chance to Jairo Diaz Monday and he failed to protect the one-run lead. We’re back to square one with this pen. That could mean Diaz has the team’s confidence to close. It could also mean he just lost their confidence. Watch for Carlos Estevez to get the next shot.
- Hard thrower Hunter Harvey has yet to give up an earned run for the Orioles. He had to face some adversity in his last appearance, loading the bases against the heart of the Nationals order. He still managed to come away without letting a run in. Keep an eye on this one.
- Hector Neris has had a bumpy week. These things happen to most relievers. He’ll be fine. Mike Morin has pitched well lately but I don’t seem him being a threat to Neris assuming Hector doesn’t spiral out of control.
- If you drafted Edwin Diaz I feel for you. He was supposed to be the safest closer available. I guess there’s no such thing. Talk of a possible IL stint is just insult to injury.
- Liam Hendriks hold on the A’s closer role gets stronger with every appearance by a reliever that isn’t him. Blake Treinen is broken. Joakim Soria just notched a rocky save. Meanwhile, Henriks has been dominant. He may go down as the best RP pickup of the season.
They turned the least cool automobile you can drive into one of the most iconic vehicles of an ERA.
Harry didn’t spend his life savings turning his van into the Shaggin Wagon for nothing.
- Alex Colome
- Hector Neris
- Taylor Rogers
- Sean Doolittle / Daniel Hudson
- Craig Kimbrel
- Will Smith
- Joe Jimenez
The Mystery Machine
At least the color scheme is cool.
Unmarked White Van
No one has ever owned an unmarked white van that wasn’t guilty of something unsavory.
- Ian Kennedy
- Brandon Workman
- Matt McGill
- Mark Melancon
- Edwin Diaz / Seth Lugo
- Jose Leclerc
- Jairo Diaz / Carlos Estevez
- Ryne Stanek
- Mychal Givens / Miguel Castro / Hunter Harvey