Raise your hand if the juiced ball isn’t affecting your high priced pitcher yet. Not so fast Blake Snell owners, he’s on the IL with a broken toe via clumsy furniture moving. You’re going to be in the mean streets of relief appearances with the rest of us now. You can throw on some REM and cry in the shower or work at filling some gaps. A well-aimed non-closer can certainly pay dividends. There’s something below for whatever ails you. I don’t include anyone getting regular saves in the ranks.
- At least Arodys Vizcaino did us the favor of being out for the season quickly. That sounds good on the surface for A.J. Minter owners, but I still don’t think the team wants him shouldering that burden alone. Maybe Craig Kimbrell rolls into town for a reunion. Maybe they find a cheap option in trade. Either way, the book on that job is far from finished.
- This week’s middle relief darling has been Nick Anderson of the Marlins. He’s a strikeout buzzsaw at 17.65 K/9, with an occasional home run hiccup at 1.04 HR/9. It’d be more appealing if he got a hold once and a while.
- If you missed out there you can check on Robert Stephenson, the working man’s Nick Anderson. That’s not just because everything from Cincinnati is the working man’s something or other. Stephenson has 12 Ks to just 1 BB. Though he too hasn’t earned a hold to date.
- Ken Giles notched a save Thursday afternoon. It was far from a smooth ride, however. If you’re in a league that requires speculation the recently activated Ryan Tepera could be mixing into the ninth in no time.
- Craig Stammen has been the perfect Gate to Yates (copyright pending). Plenty of teams have checked in with the Padres about his availability. Which is odd since they’re looking to compete now. He’s a top arm in a league using holds.
- Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Baltimore continue to compete for who’s bullpen is the biggest dumpster fire. I get it if you need to employ someone from these teams, just know I feel your pain.
Closers In Waiting
The next men up for saves. One break just needs to go their way.
K It Up
Get a category enhancer from these high K/9 strikeout artists.