The album Electric Ladyland by the Jimi Hendrix Experience gave us two of the all-time great guitar riffs. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) was decades ahead of its time in 1968. All Along The Watchtower may be a Bob Dylan cover but Jimi owns that song now. It’s opening lyrics are fitting for this column, “There must be some kind of way outta here, said the joker to the thief. There’s too much confusion, I can’t get no relief.” Are you rostering a joker or a thief with your spec add? It’s certainly confusing and there’s little relief in sight. Nevertheless, we press on.
- The Royals always seem to heat up on the base paths as the summer weather heats up. The 1.1 and 1.2 of steals per at-bat leagues, Billy Hamilton and Terrance Gore, got you four apiece last week. Maybe Nicky Lopez can get in on the act if can figure out how to get on base. Maybe lean into, kid.
- Of all the prospects from last months prospectapalooza, Oscar Mercado may be paying the most dividends. He’s up to 4 HRs and 6 SBs with a .310 AVG. Once the Tribe shipped CarGo out of town the kid grabbed hold of his job.
- David Bote stole three bases last week, all against the Mets. That tells you about all you need to know about the Mets emphasis on holding runners. They should consider Kenley Jansen’s intentional balk strategy once a runner gets on just to avoid the distraction. (Sidebar: Kenley shutting down the Cubs BS in that fashion was immensely satisfying).
- Amed Rosario is finally getting some run. He stole three last week to bring his total to nine swipes. Once the Mets were out of it last season the gave Rosario plenty of leash en route to 18 second half steals. He’s an interesting trade target that could be had for cheap if you need a boost.
- For those truly desperate, consider kicking the tires on Eric Sogard. He’s playing enough and gets a series against the Yankees. Gary Sanchez avoids the top ten list below due to low games played. His defense is sub-par.
- Liam Hendricks has ascended to the Oakland closer role via attrition. Blake Treinen is hurt and finally accepted an IL stint. Lou Trivino has a fun name and a 5.00 ERA. Joakim Soria doesn’t even believe he’s still pitching for a team. Hendricks has been one of the few relievers in Oaktown not dropping bay-bombs. He locked down the first save in Treinen’s absence and figures to continue in the role. If you miss out on Hendricks, Yusmeiro Petit has been an efficient reliever with a handful of career saves.
Here are the catchers being run on the most.