It’s been a busy few days for bullpen shuffling as I try to keep up from my vacation at the shore. Injuries are popping up. Ineffectiveness will also be tolerated far less. Each week of the season is roughly ten percent of it. You’re already running out of time to adjust. Since I’m not into contagious viruses I won’t be partaking in the usual boardwalk indulgences. Therefore, the tier themes will have to do.
- Jose Leclerc was placed on the 45-day IL with an arm strain. It’s a pretty wide open competition between Jesse Chavez, Nick Goody, Edison Volquez, and Jonathan Hernandez. Rafael Montero and Joely Rodriguez are dark horses when they get healthy. So put some names on a dart board I guess. Montero was a preseason interest of mine if he can get healthy.
- Oliver Drake went and blew his first save since people blew FAAB on him. Nick Anderson has been getting the fireman treatment so far. I’ll keep blindly hoping that Anderson gets his proper due after a goofy first week.
- Matt Magill has been a no show so far. He’s in the committee at best. I guess the MASH unit that was the Mariners 2019 bullpen was what elevated him to ninth. Now he’s lost in the shuffle. Yoshihisa Hirano is probably the only one who can consolidate the closer role.
- Brandon Workman had a shaky save this week. He hasn’t earned a ton of leash with only a partial season as a closer. Matt Barnes or Heath Hembree could eat into his opps with any more struggles.
- We’re back where we left off with Brad Hand. He looks good one day and can’t get an out the next. In fairness, it was a back to back appearance and three out of four days. Nevertheless, that could lead to a righty like James Karinchak getting some of the opps.
Ice Cream/Frozen Custard: There’s hardly anything more satisfying than a rich, cold treat on a hot day. The chocolate dipped is my go to.
- Kirby Yates (Emilio Pagan/Drew Pomeranz)
- Josh Hader (David Phelps/Corey Knebel)
- Kenley Jansen (Blake Treinen)
- Roberto Osuna (Ryan Pressly)
- Liam Hendriks (Joakim Soria)
- Zach Britton (Adam Ottavino, IL: Aroldis Chapman)
Salt Water Taffy: It’s always a solid sweet to have around. Brought down slightly by the licorice flavored filler.
- Hector Neris (Tommy Hunter)
- Taylor Rogers/Sergio Romo
- Hansel Robles (Ty Buttrey)
- Raisel Iglesias (Michael Lorenzen)
- Sean Doolittle/Daniel Hudson
- Archie Bradley (Andrew Chafin)
- Joe Jimenez (Buck Farmer)
- Nick Anderson/Oliver Drake/Jose Alvarado
- Anthony Bass (Rafael Dolis, IL: Ken Giles)
Caramel Cooked Popcorn: It’s a volume game here. Housing half a bucket of sugar covered air isn’t half bad.
- Kwang-hyun Kim (Ryan Helsley, IL: Giovanny Gallegos)
- Alex Colome (Aaron Bummer)
- Brad Hand (James Karinchak)
- Wade Davis (Jairo Diaz)
- Brandon Workman (Matt Barnes)
- Edwin Diaz/Seth Lugo/Dellin Betances
- Nick Burdi (Richard Rodriguez, IL: Keone Kela/Kyle Crick)
- Mark Melancon (Luke Jackson, IL: Will Smith)
Snow Cones: If you settle for a cup of ice with a squirt of artificial flavor when there’s a kingdom of treats at your disposal you may be a sociopath.
- Brandon Kintzler (Ryne Stanek)
- Craig Kimbrel (Jeremy Jeffress)
- Greg Holland/Ian Kennedy/Trevor Rosenthal
- Jesse Chavez/Nick Goody/Edinson Volquez/Jonathan Hernandez (IL: Rafael Montero, Jose Leclerc)
- Dan Altavilla/Taylor Williams/Matt Magill (IL: Yoshihisa Hirano)
- Trevor Gott/Tony Watson/Tyler Rogers
- Mychal Givens/Cole Sulser