A strain is a tear and a tear is a strain. The arms that are hurting have torn stuff somewhere in there. Don’t let doctors dress thing up with fancy words. Discomfort, swelling, strain all mean something is not in its original state. If one of your pitcher’s arms is hurting you have trouble. Buy some insurance with a well-placed bullpen add.
- The Jose Leclerc drama has reached a breaking point for manager Chris Woodward. He’s removed Leclerc from the closer’s role and will lean on Shawn Kelley and Chris Martin. Kelley seems to be the preferred add and I would agree slightly. It’s a wide open job, though. These are great spots for cheap darts throws on someone like Jesse Chavez if you have the roster space.
- Neither the Mets nor the Reds bullpen’s wanted to win their game Tuesday night. Jeurys Familia doesn’t seem right and couldn’t handle a six-out save. Raisel Iglesias took the loss, his fourth, in extra innings, though.
- Our Ty Buttrey is the fireman fears are being confirmed. I’m not counting him out of the saves equation entirely yet. He could still earn some when the situation is right for Brad Ausmus’ reliever ouija board.
- Ian Kennedy picked up his second save for the Royals in fairly uneventful fashion. My inkling is still that he’s the preferred route for saves despite an imperfect repertoire for the ninth.
- Sadly, Nick Burdi’s arm exploded last time he pitched. He was having a terrific season. After prior arm trouble, he’s definitely a drop.
- Mychal Givens has notched two straight saves for Baltimore. The ridiculous bullpen experiment Orioles manager Brandon Hyde had been conducting is hopefully at its conclusion.
Closers In Waiting
The next men up for saves. One break just needs to go their way.
K It Up
Get a category enhancer from these high K/9 strikeout artists.