What I particularly like about relievers is versatility. The situation in San Diego is the one in particular I want to discuss. We were all lured into the Carter Capps preseason love, and I was on the wagon driving the horses as well, but his injury and the results that we expected aren’t coming as fast as we hoped. He isn’t bowling over anyone in the minors, sporting a 6-plus ERA, and the obnoxious K-rate hasn’t materialized. Now onto the major league roster which isn’t lighting any fires. They are second from the bottom in bullpen ERA, have only 12 holds on the year, and now their closer has hit the skids. He being Brandon Maurer. Enter who I think should, could be the next man up while we wait (forever) for Capps. Brad Hand offers that former starter turned good. I may just call him the Vigilante of holds and possibly saves very soon. He has the K-rate, the BAA and the moxy to do the job… it is just a matter of if SD is ready to pull the trigger on something because Maurer looks cooked. Regardless of his situation moving forward or your league perimeters, Hand is worthy for a spot because of speculation and the K’s that he will produce. This is the bullpen report for this week, so let’s see what’s happening in the setup game and the hold chase…
- Don’t look now, but the bullpen hipster that is Joe Maddon has been relying on Carl Edwards a lot over Uehara, Rondon and Strop recently in the 8th inning. He hasn’t let you down with 9 K’s in his last five appearances either.
- Love me some Keone Kela. Jumps past Jeffress and is sitting in the bushes waiting for a welcome mat to close.
- Three of the top-20 Holds leaders are now closers. Just saying.
- Darren O’Day should be rostered, in the event that Brach falls off. Which has already started. Just in case you were also wondering, Mychal Givens has more holds then anyone over the last 30 days. They are sick with good relievers.
- The White Sox and Phillies have zero Holds over the past 14 games. Not good for those of you holding Swarzak. Nate Jones can’t get back from the DL soon enough.
- Sneaky set-up guy of the week, Jose Alvarado of the Rays
|Player||Holds/BS||App with Lead||IR Runners/IR Scored|