Let’s give the ole Closer Rankings a slight reshuffle. There is bound to be much more news coming as summer camps start to ramp up. I’ve pushed the “Don’t pay for saves” mantra plenty. I’m doubling down on that in this 60 game season. If a closer misses any time, COVID related or otherwise, that destroys their value. It’s an enormous risk to take on top of the already rather large risk of paying for a top closer. Give me cheap saves in a high variance window. Tiers are summer camp themed!
Sports Camp: The cool kids go here. It helps if you’re good at the actual sport but walking around with the equipment is all that’s required.
- Kirby Yates (Emilio Pagan / Drew Pomeranz)
- Josh Hader (Corey Knebel)
- Roberto Osuna (Ryan Pressly)
- Liam Hendriks (Joakim Soria)
- Aroldis Chapman (Zach Britton)
Lake Whatever Camp: It’s not the plushest accommodations. You do get to basically do whatever you want while your ‘rents stash you away in the woods, though.
- Hector Neris (Adam Morgan)
- Kenley Jansen (Blake Treinen)
- Edwin Diaz (Dellin Betances)
- Taylor Rogers/RHP To Be Named
- Nick Anderson/Jose Alvarado
- Ken Giles (Anthony Bass)
- Hansel Robles (Ty Buttrey)
- Raisel Iglesias (Michael Lorenzen)
- Sean Doolittle/Daniel Hudson
- Brad Hand (James Karinchak)
Science Camp: Underrated. Sure, it sounds nerdy on the surface but you learn some actually cool stuff. Maybe even lay the foundation to be a future meth cook.
- Joe Jimenez (Buck Farmer)
- Alex Colome (Steve Cishek)
- Archie Bradley (Kevin Ginkel)
- Brandon Workman (Matt Barnes)
- Giovanny Gallegos (Ryan Helsley)
- Jose Leclerc (Rafael Montero)
- Craig Kimbrel (Rowan Wick)
- Ian Kennedy (Tim Hill)
Church Camp: I don’t mean to take a shot at organized religion but your summer camp game is weak.
- Keone Kela (Kyle Crick)
- Mark Melancon (Will Smith)
- Matt Magill (Yoshihisa Hirano)
- Wade Davis (Scott Oberg)
- Brandon Kintzler (Ryne Stanek)
- Tony Watson/Shaun Anderson
- Mychal Givens (Hunter Harvey)