BABIP is Batting Average on Balls In Play.  And they sometimes lie, even if Shakira sang, BABIPs Don’t Lie.  BABIP is a quick way to know how much luck a hitter is having.  There’s more to it, but for the purposes of this, a high BABIP for a hitter and it means the hitter could hit a bloop single just over the pitcher’s head with the infield drawn in.  Below .200 and the hitter could hit a line drive into the Grand Canyon and it would get caught by Alice on the back of a mule.  Then there’s HR/FB%, which is a quick way to know if a hitter is hitting more home runs than what makes sense for that player’s amount of fly balls.  Then there’s LD%, which is the percentage of hits that are line drives.  Line drives are usually a sign of solid contact aka a player is hitting the ball hard.  Finally, K% or the percentage a hitter Ks.  So why all the fancy acronyms?  Is it just gas for your inevitable brain fart?  Nah, we’re going to see if there’s any hitters out there that are being sucky because they’re unlucky or unsucky because they’re lucky.  Anyway, here’s some hitters that have been lucky or unlucky so far for fantasy baseball:

Jorge Posada – His line drive rate is off the charts terrible-slash-everything he hits is a fly ball.  So the BABIP of .081 is egregiously low, it might only get up to .220.  Meaning Posada’s average will come up but it’s not going above .240.

Chone Figgins – His line drive rate isn’t off the charts terrible, he’s hitting a few too many fly balls and his walk rate is similar to a 95-year-old.  Yet!  His BABIP is way too low.  He’s going to get much better.  Say a hundred points better in average.

Brett Gardner – Last year’s BABIP was .340.  In 2009, it was .311.  This year it’s .179.  He’s scuffling badly with strikeouts and lack of walks, but he can’t possibly get worse.

Carl Crawford – His fly ball rate, line drive rate, K-rate and walk rate are near his career averages.  His career BABIP is .329.  Right now, it’s .194.  That’s silly low.  He’s a .300 hitter temporarily hitting .170.

Russell Martin – His HR/FB% right now is 35%.  His career rate is below 10%.  He’s playing just a tad over his head.

Lance Berkman – His HR/FB% is 30%, which is way above his career rate, his fly ball rate is actually lower than his career rate, his infield hit percentage is almost four times higher than his career rate, his BABIP is sixty points above his career rate… I think you get the picture.  At some point, the bottom will fall out hard.

Ian Kinsler – His line drive rate is fine, his ground ball rate is fine, his BUPKIS percentage is in line with his career rates, his BABIP is way too low and there is no BUPKIS percentage.  If Kinsler stays healthy, he’s going to be absolutely fine.

1. Figgy and the constant Gardner have me worried as their calling card is getting on base and running wild. Both players appear to be as allergic to walking as Roger Clemens is to being humble. BABIP becomes less important if you can draw a walk. While I don’t doubt both speeders will rebound, I would feel a lot more confident if they would earn the odd free pass. I would buy low on Gardner, but y’all can get figgy with it sans moi.

2. Dominic says:

Where does Mark Reynolds fall in these categories? Is it time to let him go or what?

3. Smell The Golve says:

10 team Mixed, have Zimmerman in my DL slot and Delmon Young now sucking up a bench slot while he…well…sucks.

Stick with him until Zimmerman comes back and I can throw Young in DL slot until he gets better both physically and in terms of actually hitting the friggin ball or go slumming on the waiver wire.

Legit options out there are Snider, Gardner, Crisp, B. Wallace.

4. Chuckles Tiddlesworth says:

Thanks, Grey. I was feening bad for some Lance bashing.

5. dja says:

lind was dropped in my 12 team h2h. would you put in a claim for him? i already have berkman, bjupton, grady and granderson sharing 2 bench spots so i am not sure if i can handle taking on yet another outfielder… what do you think?

6. shibboleth says:

Can someone refresh my memory as to how these things work… is it batter BABIP regresses to career avg and pitcher BABIP reverts to league avg? Vice versa? Shuttup, shib, you don’t know what you’re talking about?

PS thanks as always Grey.

7. Pedro says:

If you have to drop one turd, is it Carlos Pena or Magglio Ordonez? I know, it would feel great to let both sink to the bottom of the bowl, but I can only choose one…

Roto w/ 6 hitting categories: H RP HR SB BA SLG, I need H, RP, HR (can afford the BA/SLG hit either might bring)

If replacement options are Bourjos, Matsui, B Francisco, Pronk or Trumbo, does that change the equation? (i.e., would you take any of those guys over either Mags or Pena?)

8. royce! says:

@shibboleth: I think they both regress to player average, generally, so long as there isn’t something terribly off in their batted ball profile. Such as, for a batter, a really low LD rate combined with a really high IFFB rate might show that they just suck and that their BABIP is justified.

9. Smell The Golve says:

Is it time to be worried about Carlos Santana? Now it appears they are going to start benching him against Lefties. He’s been equally awful against L and R this year but this move seems a vote of no confidence from the Indiana management.

Avila a legit option or just be patient, it’s still too early.

10. Exactly says:

if you had to pick one: d. holland, t. wood, or bedard?

11. SP says:

Hi Grey,

Who do you like better going forward in 5×5 ?

Jed Lowrie or Zobrist?

12. Fletch says:

@Grey: What type of pitcher(s) could I get in return for Dunn or McCutchen?

13. @dja:
    I would take Lind long term over Berkman. He hit another one a few minutes ago…

14. trick dad says:

think Vogelsong is worth holding onto in a 12 team mixed?
    5.2 IP, 2 ER, 8K against the ice cold pirates

15. @Exactly:
    Wood for me in the morning!

16. AL KOHOLIC says:

for the lind questioneer,he just went deep again today,id want to own him

17. herschel says:

@Grey: how would you rank the following 2 start options for next week?

MadBum (@ Was, vs Col)
    Buehrle (vs Bal, @ Sea)
    McDonald (@SD, vs Hou)
    Ross (vs Cle, @KC)

Thanks.

18. dja says:

would you guys keep edwin jackson or jordan zimmermann around at this point?

19. mauledbypandas says:

Kinsler, McCutchen, Alvarez, Tabata (lately), Gardener, Reynolds, Espinosa
    all on my team. yeah… my average sucks a lot

20. trying to acquire gio and make some room, which two of these douchetards is a decent package for him:

Chacin
    DLR
    Beachy
    Kuroda
    Pineda
    Lariano ?
    Cueto

21. Sugar Tits says:

Hey Grey, how do you feel about a Michael Young for Colby Rasmus trade? I’m ignoring the position difference because either one is basically a UTIL play. I own Young, was offered Rasmus, and would hate to miss a breakout campaign if one is in the works for Colby cheese.

Also, I own Kinsler, and I have to say I’m a little concerned about his BUPKIS percentage!

22. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Sugar Tits: i like colby there

23. xopchipili says:

I’d rather Posada keep hittin everything in the air. I’ll gladly trade AVG from my C in exchange for dingers!

24. Chinaski says:

@Smell The Golve:

Almost the same scenario here! My pain is a little deeper as i own Longoria aswell. Longoria is on DL while Zimmerman and Young are put on valuable bench spots. Well i am really playing with the idea to drop Young for a decent arm of the wire.

25. @KR Express:
    Some of those ‘douchetards’ are better than Gio IMO. I would keep the following players from that list over Gio:
    Pineda and Chacin.
    Also, Gio isn’t much of an upgrade over DLR or Beachy. I like Gio, but I think you’re undervaluing some of your other SPs.

26. Chinaski says:

@Exactly:

Wood

27. @dja:
    I’m a (once) proud owner of J-Zimm in a few leagues. I still love his stuff, but his K rate is down and the Nationals aren’t an offensive juggernaut. Jackson, on-the-otherhand, has been lit up his last few starts but has the better underlying stats. Tough call. I also side with NL pitchers when it’s close. So, I say Zimmerman…LOL

28. @Sugar Tits:
    I like me some Colby cheese please!!

29. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Grey: ian steward hitting 429 in minors stint,in case ya care

30. Wilsonian says:

Gordon or Lind?

Which offer for Crawford:

Krispie/Bills
    Krispie/Gio
    Krispie/D. Hudson?

Thanks!

31. Jo says:

i agree 35% is a high flyball rate for martin, but he’s now in the house next to the house that ruth built so there’s reason to believe it’ll be a bit higher then his career avg…

32. Chinaski says:

@Wilsonian:

Lind. Not even close if you ask me

33. OaktownSteve says:

@SP: Nice to be a Zobrist owner as of about 60 seconds ago. He’s a much better play than Lowrie.

34. i feel like the issue with berkman is age / injury a lot more than it is, like, him regressing to his career averages

35. AL KOHOLIC says:

@OaktownSteve: id say,6 hr,s now,steals some bases,and should keep hitting in the middle of the lineup

36. paddytwotimes says:

@ Gray:

Your Gardener blurb is not very uplifting: “he can’t get worse.”

Finally cut bait on Zimm. I feel refreshed and cleansed.

37. AL KOHOLIC says:

GREY-someone needs to contact yahoo and have them update the picture of Brian Wilson,just looks weird without the beard

38. OaktownSteve says:

@AL: Seems like he just played though the bad back last year and went out there and produced some poor numbers. Don’t think he’ll bounce back to ’09 levels but I figure he’s a pretty good 20/20 candidate and will probably hit about .240-.250 and is MI eligible.

39. Sugar Tits says:

@AL KOHOLIC: @Dr. Stats: @Grey: Thanks guys, I’m going with Rasmus.

@dja: If your question was choosing between Jackson and Zimm, I’d take Jackson, for what it’s worth.

40. Gavin says:

Dude my 3B situation is dire. I can’t roll with Chase Headley all year. Is there a young guy/unknown you can recommend to take a chance on? Someone like Morel in Chicago? Otherwise the best “names” available are Chris Johnson, Valencia, Sean Rodriguez, Wiggington…..bleh, you get the idea. Cheers.

41. charlie batch says:

Pineda is playing like a Cy Young winner. Knock on wood.

42. Eddy says:

@Grey:

Adam Jones or Johnny Damon?

43. The Good The Vlad The Utley says:

Grey,

One of my leagues (not the Razzball commenter league I’m in) is filled with mostly randos and dumb schmohawks making early drops ‘like its hot’ all over the place, already dropping Carlos Santana, Joe Nathan, and Alexei Ramirez. They actually are giving away the league in April.

My dilemma is, someone just dropped Daniel Hudson and I don’t really have space, but I know he is worth it. Who would you drop out of the following to grab him: Sergio Santos, Brian Fuentes, Jonathan Broxton or Francisco Liriano. I don’t really wanna drop Liriano, even though he has been a total razztastrophe, and the Twins are giving nearly equal razzterful performances AND getting pimp slapped with injuries. I know the jury’s not out yet on Broxton, too. Advice?

44. Kendrys Cart Off Home Run says:

@Grey: Start One, Bench One, Kill One

Jon Rauch
    Frank Francisco
    Aroldis Chapman

45. OaktownSteve says:

@The Good The Vlad: if you’ve got a solid bullpen behind Santos and Broxton, drop Fuentes. Because there are four Fuentes scenarios and three of them are bad: Bailey comes back and stays healthy, Bailey stays hurt but Fuentes is bad enough to lose the closer job, Fuentes keeps the closer job but sucks enough to do more damage than good, Fuentes keeps the closer job and is good.

46. Eddy says:

So glad I burned my 3rd waiver on Zorilla early in the RCL.
    @Grey:

Any intel on Alex White who’s supposed to start this Saturday?

47. Chinaski says:

Man i hate the Twins. They are getting pounded and my opponent owns Zorbist and Upton and both are given the opportunity to look like superstars…

48. Chris says:

Better 2 start option for next week:

McCarthy vs TEX (Holland) & @ KC (Hochevar)

or

Leake vs HOU (Happ) & @ CHC (TBA)

49. Deeeeeeez Nuts says:

Do you like Andrus or Lowrie at SS for the rest of the season? (assuming speed and power are well balanced in the rest of the lineup)

50. Wilsonian says:

@Eddy: so glad that I got my happy ass up at 6:00 a.m. the other day to pick.him back up once he cleared waivers (I was the one who dropped him).

51. Probable Party Starter says:

For a one-start, Stauffer @ LAD (and maybe hang on for the HodgePadre) or Garland @ home vs the horrible SD offense? Also, would you rather step in cat or dog crap?

52. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Wilsonian: slick move,i love the fact so many people want to save thier waiver picks,i do that a lot to.

53. AL KOHOLIC says:

grabbed cuddyer in 1 rcl league today to play a little 1st base until he is 2nd eligible,he hit a hr today thats 2 in a week,if he hits 27520-25 hrs and gets middle of the order rbi,s(80) then thats awesome at 2nd

54. Eddie says:

What’s the word on Aaron Hill? His BABIP seems to have stabilized from last year, but his OBP and his ISO have crashed. Is this guy just done?

55. Eddy says:

@Wilsonian:

Nice! I’ve already done that a couple times in a few leagues. The things we do for this game.

56. @Deeeeez Nuts:
    Andrus all day brother. I don’t think Lowrie will even finish as a top 15 shortstop IMO.

57. OaktownSteve says:

@Eddie: Aaron Hill post-concussion symptoms maybe.

58. GTS says:

Aviles or Raburn at 2B?

59. DiscoD says:

@Grey

Rank these players: Reynolds, Wallace, Freese, Smoak

60. Wilsonian says:

@AL KOHOLIC: @Eddy: yep, so many people hang on to their waivers. I don’t, plus you can’t make a claim on someone you dropped. What’s even worse is that I got up around 4 a.m., but Yahoo hadn’t updated their waivers yet, so he hadn’t cleared yet. I have a serious problem…

@Grey: thanks man. Do you have that much more faith in Bills over Gio, or just that Gio makes it a more fair offer?

61. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Wilsonian: while im laid up with my leg,im doing it alot,Janell gets up at 5 a.m and she just shakes her head,luckily she isnt real talkative in the morning or id be able to put words with the head shaking,now last night we had our 3 year old granson,while we watched IDOL,i let him watch cartoons on my laptop ,so i was without baseball for nearly 2 straight hours,hi,im AL,And i am a baseball junkie,i need help

62. chata says:

wow .
    zobrist went bat-house

63. AL KOHOLIC says:

damn started morrow in all 3 and ogano in 1,thinking id atleast get a win,NOT

64. Dominic says:

Im gonna give you 2 names and tell me which one turns you on for the rest of the season: Bud Norris or Edwin Jackson

65. Wilsonian says:

Zorilla with 8 friggin ribbies…and still another game to go!

66. Eddy says:

@Wilsonian:

Dude leads the AL in RBI after having only 11 on Tuesday.

67. Wilsonian says:

@Eddy: 12 in two games will do that for ya…

68. B.J. says:

McCutchen for Verlander, which side wins? 10 Team H2H daily roster changes

69. dja says:

dunn straight up for greinke in a 12 team h2h (obp) league. which side would youallzz rather be on?

70. AL KOHOLIC says:

this is an rcl question so i dont think we are supposed to ask grey,so any other oppinions are welcome trade nelson cruz and ellsbury for morneau gordon and bay

71. chata says:

@AL KOHOLIC:

soft toss .
    cruz side …. easily

72. Anyone have thoughts on Vogelsong or Alex White?

73. MD says:

good day to have hellickson, pineda, and morrow going…

74. AL KOHOLIC says:

@dja: if you own dunn youd feel like the winner since youve survived without him so far,fair trade,both should be top line at thier positions,im currious to see what grienke does at mil,,if i was really in need of pitching id do it,if i wasnt hurting for pitching id wait for the dunn breakout,it is coming

75. AdamH says:

My team – 12 team 5×5 head-to-head keeper league

C – C. Santana
    1B – Votto
    2B – Aviles (Utley on DL)
    3B – M. Reynolds
    SS – Jeter
    CF – J. Upton
    OF – C. Young
    OF – R. Roberts
    Util – M. Teixeira

Bench – None (Add/drop as needed)

SP – J. Johnson, Scherzer, Chacin, Morrow, Gio, E. Jackson, E. Volquez, Narveson
    RP – Axford, Hanrahan, Farnsworth, Santos

We get to keep 5, and can trade draft picks for next season. So a 1st RD pick is essentially a 6th RD pick starting with the leftovers.

I got offered Zobrist, Lincecum, and a 1st RD pick for Votto. Should I consider this? I’m torn since I’m a Reds fan, so I need outside opinions.

76. xopchipili says:

well I guess I can give up trying to win RBI for the week now…

77. the grate one says:

grey, fair trade to trade fielder for cano in keeper?

78. GTS says:

Do you like Gordon or Frenchy better?

79. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: Didn’t stop you asking about Moreland or Wells ;-)

I’m always watching, AL.

80. chata says:

@AdamH:

while it would be nice to have a big 3 of lincecum / johnson / scherzer .
    you wouldn’t have enough decent bats .

keep votto .
    and don’t feel guilty about it .

81. chata says:

@Steve:

was looking over your roster @ the couch .

man , you really are snake-bit .

82. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: trades are a bit different,besides grey said alot of guys do ,just under different names,

83. VinWins

VinWins says:

Bautista has a brain freeze, breaking for 3rd cause no one was covering. Unfortunately, Patterson was already there. Texas throws it away thow; everyone safe.

84. VinWins

VinWins says:

*thow?? Nice. though.

85. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: It’s a blanket no-no.

@chata: Tell me about it. Thought I’d done a reasonable job drafting pitching and mitigating my AVE risks but that team is currently terrible.

86. Black Beard says:

@VinWins: That was a bizarre situation.

87. Steve says:

WTF? Where is Rauch?

88. MD says:

NEWS:

Indians are going to call up Alex White to start on Saturday in Carrasco’s place… If he can stick in the rotation, what are your thoughts grey?

89. MrHappyTime says:

Streaming advice?

Dice-K against Seattle or Travis Wood against Florida??

90. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: omg

91. VinWins

VinWins says:

@Steve: Rauch was ready to come in. Jays maybe have decided Francisco is ready to take over.

92. Wilsonian says:

Would you rather have Lind and Smoak or Lind and Gordon? I picked up Smoak this morning, per your advice, but I also want to add Lind, so I’m wondering if I should drop the newly picked up Smoak or Gordon? Thanks.

93. MD says:

i guess the real question is, who do you waste the pickup on. Pineiro or Alex White.

94. Steve says:

@Grey: What’s the data saying about The Dread Pirate? I see his BABIP is .242, so that’s got to go up, right?

Can’t make head or tail of the rest (emoticon).

And Youk’s .233 BABIP has too go up too, surely?

95. AL KOHOLIC says:

alex whites numbers this year,24 inn, 1.90 era 19 hits 6 walks and 28 k,s

96. Giant JJ says:

Morton or Zito?

97. Black Beard says:

Some news:

Travis Snider demoted…

Blanton to the DL.

98. Kyuss says:

Well this blows…Travis Snider is being sent down.

99. xopchipili says:

Vance Worley up to start for Blanton. Should I care?

100. AL KOHOLIC says:

crawford moved to 8th in the order now

101. Black Beard says:

Francoeur or Smoak in a league where I can likely leave Smoak out there for a while unless he really heats up?

I feel like I need a shower for even asking.

102. Wilsonian says:

Drop Snider for Sands in a 16 Team H2H Keeper?

103. Josh says:

Grey, curious if you would drop any of the following

Hellickson, Daniel Hudson, Shields, Brandon League (Aardsma is on waivers, can’t put him in DL spot though), Mitchell Boggs

for

De La Rosa, Morrow, Ian Kennedy, Beachy, Jurrjens

104. The Spaceman says:

Dearest Grey,

Long time listener (from the get-go, I believe), 1st post. First off; as I’m sure most of us can agree; you are a deity, and I/we thank you. I won’t pester, as I need to go watch Phillip’s antics which I’ve DVRed.

Simple question; (18 team/Non Keeper..blah blah). Top 4 of the following; Gallardo, Scherzer, E Jax, Jordan Zim, Beachy, Morton. (Yovani has made my eyes bleed thusfar. Shout out to fellow Gallardo owners/lovers! What!)

All the best man,
    The Spaceman

105. Higgins says:

My team – 5×5 10 team roto:

C- C. Santana
    1B – M. Cabrera
    2B – D. Pedroia
    3B – Freese (R. Zimmerman, DL)
    SS – J. Rollins
    1/3 – R. Roberts
    2/S – M. Aviles
    OF – H. Pence
    OF- A. Ethier
    OF – C. Quentin
    OF – A. Gordon
    OF – A. Soriano
    Util – J. Francoeur (L. Morrison, DL)

SP – T. Lincecum, C. Carpenter, R. Oswalt, M. Scherzer, C. Billingsley
    RP – M. Rivera, K. Farnsworth, S. Santos, M. Boggs, E. Sanchez, V. Padilla

Worried about my third base, 1/3 situation. Was offered ARod and M. Cain for Lincecum and Pence. Should I consider this, or sit tight until Zimmerman comes back (which could be a while)? Thanks, Grey.

106. K!cks says:

Someone’s willing to trade me Gardner for Gomes. Should I pull the trigger and cross my fingers?

107. chata says:

@Steve:

another free game tonight on mlb.com .
    are you taking advantage of these ?

108. Is it time to trade for Rios and get him on the cheap, or just stay away all together?

109. Steve says:

@chata: Where do I find it?

110. Steve says:

@chata: On second thoughts, I won’t be able to watch it. If it’s not blocked by the firewall at work which I’m 99% sure it will be), I’m having Flash issues with my computer so the stream won’t play anyway.

111. AL KOHOLIC says:

lucckily i got him really late in the draft and he has gifted us 3 hr and 16 rbi,s but brian roberts lack of trying to steal bases is concerning to a degree,do you agree,assuming that sliding puts a lot of stress on the lower back being his excuse

112. AL KOHOLIC says:

roberts steals one right after i bitch,yes

113. chata says:

@Steve:

type in mlb.com

it’s the mothership .

114. AL KOHOLIC says:

grady grady

115. Steve says:

Can someone on my RCL team just f****** hit? 4/25 today and every f****** day. Posada, Espinosa, McCutchen, Youk, Reynolds. You’re all f******g useless.

116. Tony tone says:

I’ve got Aarmstad, Delmon, Aaron hill, and Mauer all eating up my Dl and bench and producing nothing, infuriating. Anyway, should I drop Rauch for Kuo once he’s back? Looks like his chances are limited. Should I keep Aarmstad over both of them?

117. Wake Up says:

Gardner takes the walk and swipes third.

118. Steve says:

Now E-Jax walks ‘em loaded. F*** this game.

Pity Posada’s not up next. That would get him out of the inning.

119. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: tradem all

120. Moe says:

I’m getting a little antsy with Hellickson. Is he worth dropping for Gio, E. Jackson, or Dempster in a league that counts Ks and K/9?

Should we even expect Hellickson to be pitching in September, anyway? Depends on Rays’ success, I guess?

121. Wake Up says:

@Steve: 1/22 so far here…

122. schlitzy says:

liriano dropped in my 14 team league. i can drop hafner or snider for him- worth it?

123. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: I already have a big bag old used golf balls – because that’s all they’re worth right now.

124. AL KOHOLIC says:

ha,youve hit a bunch of hr,s though,compared to my girls

125. Fletch says:

@Grey: Would you trade Dunn or McCutchen straight up for Gallardo?

126. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: Also hitting .181 in my H2H league this week after going .202 last week.

The incompetence is all-encompassing.

127. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Fletch: why,his whip is terrible and his era is to this year,id aim higher on the sp list myself

128. Trick dad says:

Schlitzy- snider just got optioned to triple-A. Safe to drop him for liriano

129. schlitzy says:

@schlitzy: just saw snider was sent to the minors- guess i know who to drop

130. Fletch says:

@AL KOHOLIC: David Price instead of Gallardo? I know the guy isn’t parting with Cliff Lee for Dunn or McCutchen. Or do I try to deal Fuld for Gallardo hoping he turns it around?

131. Steve says:

Jesus, Zobrist.

132. Eddy says:

Zorilla with a 2-run shot.

Wow.

133. Howard says:

@Grey Should I drop Herrera for Figgins given the correction in BABIP?

134. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Fletch: price,gallardo will still be a usable sp,but your whip will pay,if im trading 1 of those guys i want an everyday pitcher

135. Cbass says:

I got offered Stephen Drew for Zach Britton. I have Theriot currently filling in for Furcal. 16 team rotisserie. My starters are Beckett, Oswalt, Scherzer, Britton, Niese, Carrasco, R. Wells, T. Ross. Yes to the trade? Sell high on Britton? I realize the other owner is probably selling high on Drew.

136. royce! says:

My condolences to anyone who was facing a team featuring Zobrist in h2h this week. You’ll get em next week!

137. Wake Up says:

Gardner!

138. Bill Lumbergh says:

@Grey: 12 team mixed dynasty league. Beckham, Reynolds, & Hill all dropped. Any worth a pickup in hopes of a rebound or have they been reduced to waiver wire fodder? Thanks!

139. chata says:

@Steve:

i’m at .165 for the week

140. Kevin says:

Edwin Jackson is AWFUL!!! I knew he was a rollercoaster when I drafted him but now he is nothing but downhill.

Although, the downhill part of a rollercoaster is the best part, so … I guess he is uphill?

141. Black Beard says:

Zobrist one away from tying the RBI record for an AL double header: 11.

Earl Averill, Boog Powell, and Jim Tabor all tied with that total.

NL record is 13.

142. Steve says:

Here comes Posada with the inning-ending triple play.

143. 3FingersBrown says:

Oh, you were saying? Slam and legs for Brett The Hitman Gardner.

Supernatural’s gotta be on that list. .203 BABIP going into tonight. Hope that jack he hit gets him going…

144. Steve says:

Even with the bases loaded, all he can do is draw a f****** walk.

Sorry Razzballers – I’ve really got my whine on. I’m at work so I have no other outlet. If I was at home I’d be screaming into a pillow right now.

145. nick m. says:

Can you rank the OF’s for the rest of the year: Hamilton, Stubbs, B.J. Upton, Sizemore, and Bruce?

146. Trevor

tggq21 says:

I really hope Reynolds gets hot soon… Grey, does he usually have slow starts like this in the past?

147. Mr2Bits says:

Grey : Death to Jackson, time to cut bait. Do I lose him for Guthrie or Ross(Oakland)?

148. Steve says:

It’s kinda depressing to think that you would have been better off with Bruce Chen on your team that E-Jax.

149. royce! says:

@Steve: We’ll be your pillow, Steve…we’ll be your pillow.

Creepy!

150. 3FingersBrown says:

@tggq21: He hit .198 last year. Cust ‘Kayin

151. Steve says:

@royce!: My H2H pitching is so bad this week, that I started Kennedy and my ERA is still 6.19.

152. royce! says:

For those in deep and perhaps not so deep leagues, two call ups of interest occurred today. TOR promoted David Cooper, their 1B of the future. Stephen said he could be 2011 Ike Davis or something, I can’t quite recall. And CLE called up Alex White, who was killing it in AAA- 1.90/1.01/ 28 K in 23.2 IP.

I tell you this because I care.

153. royce! says:

@Steve: Don’t get me started on h2h- my opponent last week had Dice-K, who came into the week with an ERA over 12, and promptly had two of the best starts he’s had for years. I’m currently sitting in dead last at 9-31-2. This week has been better, but it’s not like it’s been all that encouraging, because I’m facing a team that seems to have already thrown in the towel [their team motto actually is "Throwing in the towel"] and they have Bloomquist starting, showing that they have actually thrown in the towel.

Anyhow, stupid h2h.

154. Steve says:

I’m now a 1 in AVE in the RCL. Awesome.

155. 3FingersBrown says:

@royce!: Still waiting for Lawie… White could be interesting

156. AL KOHOLIC says:

@3FingersBrown: really,you dont get to hot hitting 198

157. 3FingersBrown says:

@AL KOHOLIC: He measures his success in distance…

…and on que a dude just picked up Lawrie in my keeper league. Meh. Didn’t have the roster room.

158. royce! says:

@Steve: Looks like Sam may have Fuld-ed. Ha! Nice that you picked up Lind for free though. Made me bummed that I burned through my waiver priority so quickly.

I’m at .250 in the RCL now, which counts for 5, so I don’t think it’d take you much to make up those numbers. I was at 1 very recently, as I recall.

159. chata says:

@royce!:

yeah , owners like that can really kill a league ,
    especially so early in the season .

160. Steve says:

@royce!: Yeah, just more whining from me.

I’m scared to drop Fuld, cos he’s the only guy stealing for me – and he’ll heat up as soon as I do.

161. Grey

Grey says:

@Black Beard: Smoak

@Wilsonian: Yup

@Josh: Morrow over Hellickson.

@The Spaceman: Thanks for the kind words! Scherzer, Gallardo, E Jax, Beachy…

@Higgins: Hold

@K!cks: Yup

@Craigo: Depends what you’re trading to get him.

@Tony tone: What’s an Aarmstad?

@Moe: Can go with Gio.

@Fletch: Nope

@Trick dad: Sure

@3FingersBrown: That’ll be nice.

@nick m.: You ranked them, flip the last two.

@tggq21: Not especially.

@Mr2Bits: I wouldn’t cut him for those guys.

162. Trevor

tggq21 says:

@3FingersBrown: I know I know! i just didn’t think he could get any worse than that. But he’s proving me wrong!

163. royce! says:

@chata: I’m actually okay with it, at least this week! I needed a breather after getting my ass handed to me all April. When the week ends, and I’ll no longer be facing the guy, I’ll send him a heartfelt email imploring him to not give up. Ha!

164. Steve says:

@Grey: Damon or Gardner for an LF slot?

165. Steve says:

Niemann has a thing going.

166. Steve says:

What the f*** is Dempster doing?

167. Mr2Bits says:

Grey : I remember a post like this for Bautista last year. I know you have been hoping he gets ED and can’t hit it anymore but sometimes people just break out. I have the same feeling about the Puma(Berkman) this year. Losing weight and being surgically repaired, I think he has a few more years of 25HR ball in him.

168. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: with a stern slap to the face,snap out of it ole boy.its 25 games,pour yourself a stiff stiff drink and ,I dropped berkman the day before he started this ted williams impersonation,i drafted vernon well and carlos pena and bedard 2 picks before pineda and im in last in our keeper league where half the guys dont even manage thier teams,but life is good my friend and you with your persistence will overcome these early season obsticles,hope you dont own dempster,he just gave up a grandslam to drew

169. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: Of course I fucking own him. Everywhere.

170. Eng says:

Holy crap Dempster, holy crap.

171. chata says:

zobrist just won’t stop

172. Grey

Grey says:

@Steve: Gardner

@Mr2Bits: Sometimes the numbers lie, but I’d prefer to go with them.

@Eng: Ouch

173. Steve says:

@Steve: Useless prick can’t even get the pitcher out.

174. Howard says:

Fuld was 0-8 today. Is the party over? Talk about ticker tease!

175. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: no shit,these are the nights i think its legal to smoke a big fatty dude,demp is throwing basketballs up there,montero hit a rocket right at pena or its a tad worse

176. Steve says:

@AL KOHOLIC: I own Krispie, but that’s barely a tin lining, let alone a silver one.

Long way back in ERA now.

177. chata says:

@Howard:

7/19 7 0 3 3 10 .368 1.026

fuld’s line for the preceding 7 days

178. Wilsonian says:

Gardner or Tabata?

179. papasmurf says:

Someone posted this at another forum:

Who knows, he does work out like a maniac. Maybe he really has one monster season left… but my guess is that an injury will put a stop to the incredible surge he’s had.

On a side note, here are the starting pitchers in the last week for me: Dempster, Narveson, Harrison, Oswalt, Latos, and Dempster again. A never before stretch of pitching futility for me. If I was in a razzball league, I may have just clinched already.

180. 3FingersBrown says:

…and Dempster hits waivers in 3…2…1…

181. Steve says:

@3FingersBrown: Unless someone can give me a good reason not to…

182. Ryan Dempster ERA for this week now is – 189.00

someone wanted to get him in a trade from me – all of a sudden the trade was taken away – I said this is a bad omen

Razzball Glossary

Ha – an 189.00 era

183. Rabbit says:

Odds that Dempster hits the Disgraceful List before his next start? I say 2:1.

184. Rob says:

The downside is that I own Dempster in all of my ESPN leagues because I felt he was under valued there. The upside is that Dempster has been benched in my ESPN leagues prior to tonite.

185. chata says:

not many saves recorded today

186. Doog says:

Liriano for Morrow in a dynasty points league?

187. donnie baseball says:

Can you please rank Bumgarner, Lilly, and Cahill.

188. Steve says:

And to top it all off, I’m way over the IP pace so had Dempster benched in Fantasy Razzball. Perfect.

189. vinko says:

I am guessing that Tony tone meant Aarmstad = Aardasma

190. Bill Lumbergh says:

@Grey: 12 team dynasty league. Been offered his Uggla and Brett Anderson for my Cano. Accept this deal? Many thanks in advance!

191. jay says:

@grey Drop Reynolds for Pena? 10 team mix.

192. Steve says:

Just dropped Dempster for Baker in the RCL. Anyone disagree with that move?

193. dja says:

i can trade berkman + brandon lyon for chris perez

do it?

194. donnie baseball says:

Bumgarner or Lilly?

195. Steve says:

Jesus Berkman, give it a rest.

196. Wake Up says:

Yeah, I’m totally with you on Gardner and McCutchen, but I don’t know about Berkman. Dude’s been pretty good for a long time(cept last year). Don’t really know if this is that fluky.

197. AnotherFalstaff says:

@Grey – Guy just put Uggla on the block. I got Beckham. Offer Berkman for Uggla? (Raburn’s on the WW as a backup plan). Thanks!

198. Asdrubal Bastardo says:

Does a solid line drive count as a flyball?

199. bogbert says:

Spot start Daisuke tomorrow?
    Oh, and late kudos on the Carl Everett reference, Grey. Being from Boston, that brought back memories.

200. Asdrubal Bastardo says:

@jay: They are basically the same player right about now.

201. Steve says:

@bogbert: @Grey: Is there a little bit of Wee-Bey in Carl Everett? Or am I the only one seeing that?

202. Eddy says:

Ian Kennedy becomes a father= throws a 10 K shutout

Ian Desmond becomes a father= 2 runs and a solo shot

Is this the key to success? Or do you just gotta be named Ian?

203. Wake Up says:

@Eddy: Ian=God is Gracious

204. Steve says:

@Grey: Would you drop E-Jax for Morton or Narveson?

205. Carlos Z has slurpees says:

You gotta feel for that commenter who dropped Zobrist for Raburn the other day. Hope you got him back before today, buddy.

206. Josh says:

Thanks Grey, appreciate it.

207. John says:

@Grey Opinion on starting Romero @ NY? i got a nice lead in whip and era but k’s is close

208. AL KOHOLIC says:

@Steve: i cant see anyone picking him up,really a 1.75 whip,he had 1 good game 5 dontrell games,on his best years he is a 3 or 4 starter,i dont see the loyalty

209. Whiskey Diet says:

Adam Jones
    Markakis

Just got offered his:

Neil Walker / Choo / Cruz

for my

Holliday / Jeter / Pineda

I don’t know Pineda’s value in a 12 team league.

Cool, thanks.

210. Whiskey Diet says:

Forgot to ask, what would you do?

211. Votto-voom says:

Gray,
    I’m off to a good start, smoking the pitching categories in my 16 team 4×4 mixed league. My 3rd and 4th outfielders are a suspect platoon of David Murphy, Ben Francisco and Matt Joyce. Steals appears to be the closest thing I have to a weakness. I have J Johnson, Masterson, Danks, Corriea (drafted him), Lilly and C Morton as my 6 healthy to make 5 starters.

I believe I can trade Zack Grienke for Jacoby Ellsbury, possibly having to throw in Francisco.

Could I, should I??