We’re off and running in the second half of the baseball season. Get busy padding your steals category before September comes and you’re staring up the standings at someone who did.
- Danny Santana has taken up the mantle of back-from-the-dead outfielder that Hunter Pence had carried for a month on the Rangers. He offers some power and speed. Ride the wave with him while you can.
- The Royals finally called up Bubba Starling to play some centerfield. Athleticism is the part of his game that isn’t in doubt. If he can get on base, he can steal a few.
- Kevin Pillar and the Giants get four games against the Mets this week. Pillar’s good for double-digit steals every year. This year isn’t going to be any different. Throw him in for a few games if you need a steal.
- Andrelton Simmons has been back from the IL for a couple of weeks. He’s swiped three bases since being activated. It’s nice to see him running following his ankle sprain.
- Manny Margot has shown some signs of life at the plate lately. He could be a league shifter if he solidifies playing time and gets on base. The steals will come if he does.
- Hector Neris blew a save for the Phillies Saturday. Giving up a home run to Juan Soto isn’t all that concerning. Still, Gabe Kapler is a risk to mix and match in their pen. Keep an eye on the situation.
Here are the catchers being run on the most.