It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: General draft strategy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey Grey and To Whom It May Concern,

Last year one of the commenters (can't remember whom) made a great comment about general draft strategy. Based on your rankings, this person noticed a trend in your draft preferences. I can't remember all the details but basically the distilled advice was akin to targeting certain positions before exiting a given round (i.e. aim to have 3B filled by end of round 2, etc). In your Top 100, you mention how you are likely going to roll with a MI from a certain group (Kinsler, Pedroia, yada).

Do you have a general roadmap for filing positions in a snake draft? Obviously, drafters must constantly adjust and there will always be exceptions but last year's commenter observation helped me "win my draft."

12 team format is always popular, but my league is a 16 team 5x5 roto (3 OF, UTIL). I'm thinking I should focus on 1B and 3B in first 2 rounds and probably grab SP1 at the beginning of Rnd 4 and take my first closer at Rnd 6 (IMO, you must carry at least two donkeycorns to be competitive in a 16 team league).

If you have a general gameplan for filling positions this year, I'd love to hear it. BTW, thanks again for another great set of rankings. See you every morning for the next 7 months....

Post subject: Re: General draft strategy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm 

I go over general draft strategy in its own post. To come...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: General draft strategy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:17 pm 

Personally, I'm rolling with the 1B/3B combo for rounds 1 and 2. In every mock I've done, my team has turned out especially solid, and when using the War Room tool provided on Razzball, my teams have ended up in 1st. Granted, these are 12 team 5x5 leagues, but I can't imagine too much strategy changes between them. Here is what I aim for during some important rounds of my draft (obviously based on the flow of the draft, I have to build in some flexibility):

3rd--OF
4th--2B/SS
5th--SP/OF
6th--SP/OF
7th--1B/3B
8th--CL
9th--SP
10th--OF
11th--OF/CL
12th--SP/C
13th--C/CL

In general, by round 13, I hope to have 3 major infield positions locked down, my corner infielder slot filled, 3 solid OF, 2 SP, and 2 CL. This strategy has worked in the past and seems to be effective on both ESPN and MDC mocks. Hopefully this helps a tad. Cheers!