Point Shares are up for the following mixed-league formats: 5×5 for 10/12/14/15/16 team in both ESPN and Yahoo! roster formats.
For those of you unfamiliar with Point Shares, they represent the estimated difference in an average team’s points if they were to substitute a given player for the average player at his position. For more information, see here.
Here are some additions vs. last year:
- Included three $ estimates to broadly reflect drafting styles from even weighting to hitters and pitchers to a slight skew towards hitters to a heavy skew towards hitters.Â For instance, the ESPN roster versions have $156/$104, $165/$95, and $180/$80 dollar splits.Â The rankings are based on even weighting of hitters and pitchers but you can cut/paste the rankings into an Excel spreadsheet or Google doc to sort by one of the other two figures (to cut/paste, right click within the Point Shares spreadsheet, choose ‘Select All’, copy, then paste.
- Color-coded the category point shares so it’s easier to tell who are great/bad in each category.
- Added the ADP from ESPN/Yahoo then showed the difference vs. the Point Share ranking.Â Color-coded the difference so you can see which players are 5 or more picks different in ADP vs. Point Share ranking.
- Added Steamer as a 2nd projection source (here’s one of the reasons why) and Rotochamp as a second playing time source.
Many thanks to:
- Dan Szymborski (the man behind ZiPs projections) and Jared Cross (the man behind Steamer projections) for all the work that goes into providing free, high quality projections.
- The folks at Fantistics and Rotochamp for contributing playing time estimates.
- Everyone who responded to our recent polls and shared their fantasy baseball league info.
Things I’m still mulling over:
- How to provide guidance for popular categories like OBP, OPS, and Quality Starts
Potential answers to questions asked in the comments:
- “Yes, these apply for both Roto and H2H but make sure to load up your bench with SPs for matchups.”
- “Yes, I’ll try to update the Point Shares again before the beginning of the season.”
- “Yes, balance these rankings against your gut vs. treat them like gospel.Â I created these Point Shares and spent countless hours cobbling them together and even I balance this against my gut.Â Jeff Francouer was at the top of the available OFs in an early draft and I still couldn’t pull the trigger on Frenchy.”
- “Yes, you could win a league using any of the three hitter/pitcher splits.Â For mixed leagues, I prefer using the unweighted version (hitters + pitchers valued equally) or a slight hitter skew.Â I’ll have a post up soon showing why that’s my preference.”
- “Yes, I know the Point Shares spreadsheet looks wonkier in Firefox (random gridlines missing).Â Not sure why.Â Looks better in IE and Chrome.”
- “Well, it matters your criteria.Â If you go by sheer size and impressiveness, you have to choose my afro.Â But if you go strictly by softness or ease of combing, Grey’s moustache is your choice.