We at Razzball hear the cries of the dedicated fans and emotionally invested fantasy baseballers who tear up when their favorite/drafted players underperform. The black holes in their teams’ lineup that threaten to swallow all that is Debby Boone. The pitchers that are, alas, belly-itchers.
Thus, we are going forward with the 5th annual installment of Fantasy Razzball – where the goal is to manage the worst fantasy baseball team possible. If you have a weak stomach or a big heart, stay away. If you have a big stomach and a weak heart, you should see a doctor and make some changes in your diet. If neither of those conditional statements apply, you can forget about tears in your beer. It’ll be more like tears in your coffee and saving money on sugar.
The rules are basically the same as the past 2 years but we have a few logistical changes:
- Just as we have with our Razzball Commenter Leagues, we need volunteer commissioners to manage each league/draft time. We’ve already recruited a commissioner for the full league (Higgins) to update standings and make sure all the leagues abide by the same rules. So if you’re interested in being the commissioner, add your name/e-mail address in the comments.
- We used to create four ‘dummy’ teams that merely served to draft the top players and try to minimize the damage for anyone who missed the draft and forgot to update their rankings. It didn’t work as well as hoped so instead we’re going to adjust the competitive index so it removes the last 3 teams in each league.
- 10 Team Leagues, MLB universe, uses Yahoo! position eligibility
- All leagues must be in Yahoo! (to maintain consistent position eligibility rules and IP caps)
- Weekly Roster Changes (leaves you time to lavish on your Daily Leagues)
- C / 1B / 2B / SS / 3B / CI / MI / 5 OF / 9 P / 5 bench
- 1,250 innings cap. No minimum IP. No AB mins/maxes
- Leagues will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. If you want to play in the same league with a couple friends, no problem. Just submit the e-mail addresses at the same time.
- Each league will have four ‘dummy’ teams that merely serve to draft the top players. This helps minimize the damage for anyone who misses the draft and forgot to update their draft list.
- 1 team per person.
- Collusion between teams is grounds for disqualification from winning the grand prize.
- Blogs/sports sites may have multiple participants but one team per writer. These blogs will be noted in the standings and during periodic standings posts. It is expected – but not required – for some quid pro quo mention of Razzball on your site.
- Hitter Stats
- AB = +2
- H = -3
- R = -4
- HR = -6
- RBI = -4
- K = +2
- Pitcher Stats
- IP = -1
- HR = +4
- L = +8
- K = -1
- ER = +1.5
- H+BB = +1
The point structure makes it so that about 2/3 of the league’s hitters as well as just about every pitcher has positive value. So leaving a roster spot open or filled by a guy who plays once a week will hurt your team.
An autographed baseball by Grey Albright, myself (Rudy Gamble), and a TBD Fantasy Razzball All-Star (last year was Neifi Perez).
Note For Sports Bloggers
We have discontinued the ‘Blogger” league but you are more than welcome to join a commenter league. Once all the leagues are drafted, we’ll have a sign-up sheet to add blog affiliations to the master standings.
How To Sign Up
Find an open league below and e-mail the commissioner for an invite.
1. VinWins — vinreich [at] zoho.com