There’s nothing remotely funny about ESPN’s 2011 fantasy baseball mock draft if you think about how this is their occupation.  Not sure if everyone saw Waiting for Superman, or if anyone saw it, but it blames some teachers for education’s shortcomings.  Guess who’s to blame for fantasy baseballers’ (<–my mom’s term!) shortcomings?  The kinkajou? No, random italicized voice!  ESPN!  Would’ve been my second guess.

After AJ Mass took Halladay with the seventh pick overall, he didn’t backpedal.  Instead, he said, “I’d actually consider taking him as early as third overall, so this was a no-brainer to me at No. 7. There is a lot of pitching depth this season, but few are as “sure a thing” as Halladay.”  A lot?!  There was thirty one pitchers under a 3.50 ERA last year.  It’s officially the age of the pitcher.  Someone in the comments at ESPN named, tony9999171 hit the nail on the head.  (BTW, I’m guessing tony9999170 was taken.)  “Mass aren’t you the same guy that told people last year Ellsbury was a 1st round pick?”  Mass was.  He’s one of the people who doesn’t need to be from Massachusetts to fit the Masshole label.  His picks only get more absurd.  At one point, he sandwiches a closer pick with Juan Pierre and Rajai Davis.  Cool, should go well with his previously drafted Victorino and B.J. Upton picks.  I’m not even kidding.  Okay, moving on before I rupture a blood vessel.

Youuuuuuk went at the 25th pick overall.  Not a completely crazy pick until you realize Ryan Howard lasted until the 35th overall.  Howard’s a career .279 hitter who has averaged 45.8 homers in the last five years.  Has averaged 136 RBIs and 99 runs in those five years.  Youuuuuk has never knocked in 136 RBIs.  The amount Howard has averaged.  Youuuuuuk has only topped 99 runs once in his career.  That is Howard’s average.  Youuuuuk’s career high in homers is 29.  Oh, just a tad short of Howard.  Youuuuuuk’s career average is .294.  So that Youuuuuuk pick way ahead of Howard makes total sense.  /sarcasm  Oh, and Youuuuuuk had a torn muscle in his hand last year.  Yeah, hitters don’t need those hand things.  Seriously, I need to move on; ulcer is flaring right now.

Quinscomb, the thing on the top of a rooster, grabbed Kendry with the 58th pick, Harris took Konerko 68th and Berry took Butler with the 77th pick.  Now these picks aren’t necessarily terrible unto themselves.  Butler hit 15 homers last year, Konerko will be 35 years old and was a 20th round pick last year for a reason and Kendry is dealing with a serious injury.  So someone tell me how these effin’ ‘perts keep talking about how deep the 1st base position is?  Someone explain that to me!  Someone explain how people look at my top 10 and top 20 for 2011 fantasy baseball and say it’s too heavy with 1st basemen.  You want to go to battle with Billy Butler when I’m rocking Te(i)x or Howard?  Good luck to you, friend.

Finally, some quick thoughts.  Cwalinski went with Weeks at the 45th pick overall, which is way too high.  But I believe Cwalinski is a city in Poland and not an actual person, so I’ll excuse it.  The Masshole came back with Jeter at the 34th pick.  Then– Wait, 34th overall for Jeter?!  His ADP last year was 43.  How did he move up from last year?!  How the holy eff did he move up?!  Okay, I need to go take a steam to get my blood pressure down.

1. quimmy says:

el o el grey. el o fn el……..

The ESPN mock draft actually made the Yahoo mock look pretty decent. Any chance we get a mock of the Yahoo mock?

2. Rob says:

Haha great rant, love the comments on Mass – spot on

Do you know 11 other “x-perts” who you could do a mock with that actually makes sense and post for our nitpicking?

Thanks

3. Beau says:

Great post.

All of these guys that you mentioned were taken out of place.

Maybe they only had a 15sec layover.

4. Al Swedgin says:

Oooh, a Grey rant! Let me crack a bottle of Boone’s, kick back, re-read and enjoy…

5. Greg Gallagher says:

Great stuff, Grey!

Rajai Davis and Juan Pierre in the same team, love it……

6. Beau says:

Whoa…is there another “Beau” on here…this is weird. At first I thought I got hacked. And then I realized my fear of getting hacked on the comment board probably was a sign that I need to leave work and blow off some steam.

7. Mets fan says:

That’s why I love doiNg my drafts for my league online at espn there rankings are a joke…

8. Grey

Grey says:

@quimmy: I don’t really look at Yahoo.

@Rob: Yeah, maybe I’ll do a mock. Was supposed to a few weeks ago but my computer crashed.

@Beau: A 15 second layover from Mars.

@Al Swedgin: Ha

@Greg Gallagher: Thanks!

9. AL KOHOLIC says:

wow,looks like little league pickins

10. john butte says:

Huge! The baby mustache that your mustache is growing could draft better than those goons. I just got done reading their mock and came over here to see if you were ready to blast them. Ryan Howard at 35 is egregious Grey, egregious! Back in real life, in my 10 team keeper league it looks like I’ve have my choice of Howard, Tex, or Wright with the 11th pick. I lean Howard, as I have Bautista as a keepr to man 3b. Your thoughts?

11. Grey

@Beau: Beau Deux?

@Mets fan: Love to find someone that has a lot of money and follows Mass’s advice. Get in a league with that person!

12. Beau says:

Also — I loved his strategy to take “upside power” guys to balance out his power…so he goes with Lee and Smoak…fine, but then AJAX, and robot jones. Seriously. He cited at this point that AJAX “actually out valued Jason Jeyward last year”. Good for him and his .390 babip.

Seriously though, can anyone else possibly put together a team with more players-to-avoid or with a greater disparity between sb and ALL OTHER CATEGORIES. Yikes. He’ll lead the league in SB by like 100 but be dead last in HR and somehow still have an avg of like .240.

13. Voidoid says:

I like how Mass, in his justification for the Jeter pick says, “The way I look at it, either Jeter is Jeter, or he falls off the face of the Earth completely.” I don’t know about you, but that’s what I’m looking for from the 34th pick of the draft!

14. Beau says:

@Grey: Hmm, I guess I can go with “Beau Deux” for the season…we’ll see if the other “Beau” has staying power.

15. xtremehulk says:

Any chance you have thought of doing an OBP stud/dud article for those of us in OBP leagues?

16. ThE sHiT says:

Hilarious post Grey! Makes me wna get in a league with all these ‘perts. I wonder if they use Pert Plus shampoo. Hmmm…..

17. Mets fan says:

Lol the question I have is how do these so called “perts” get paid to give out terrible advice where do they get there so called credibilty from to give advice on fantasy on espn And get paid..where they have no idea what there talking about?

18. Dingo says:

Brilliant, Grey! There are few things more entertaining to read than a good “expert” mocking rant. Sadly, the ESPN dudes don’t seem to be the only ones with questionable mocks. The supposedly brighter minds at http://www.hardballtimes.com also had some head-scratchers in their mid-January draft:

Weeks at 45 is too high? How about 25?
    At least Jeter wasn’t picked until #40. That’s only slightly higher than his ADP last year.
    It’s probably a bit troubling that one of the teams I like the most from that draft is the one that drafted both Tulo and Reyes in the first three rounds.

19. Grey

Grey says:

@Beau: Mass supposedly likes to load up on speed. The only problem with that is there’s so much more speed nowadays compared to power.

@Voidoid: Yeah, he’s effin’ bonkers.

@xtremehulk: Sure

@ThE sHiT: Ha

20. What gives you the right? I’ll have you know that I do all of the statistical breakdowns for ESPN’s fantasy sports and I know exactly how well each player is going to do week in and week out.

When your website starts making as much money as ESPN does, maybe I’ll listen (probably not since you clearly don’t know how valuable the stolen base is as a fantasy category!!!!!!).

*not actually AJ Mass.

21. Grey

Grey says:

@Mets fan: Last bit of baseball credibility at ESPN left yesterday.

@Dingo: Yeah, I think I’m gonna have to do a Weeks overrated post. Seems obvious but maybe only to me.

22. napoleongs says:

AJ Mass has had the same problem for years. He cant help himself…he tries to think so much he out-thinks thinking I think. An out-thunkin.

23. shibboleth says:

Grey, I feel your pain. You’ve used a similar analogy with Howard in the past, I think. My question: any concerns at all over Howard’s perceived troubles vs LHP?” Or does that not matter in fantasy land? Okay that was two questions… thanks for all your hard work, as always.

24. LMack says:

Jason Grey is alright.
    He’s the guy who started Mastersball, is he not?

25. little bunny foofoo says:

Weeks round 4 is crazy scary. I’m fine with him round 8 or so in a 12 man, though

I really hope that the Weeks love tapers off as the year goes on because I’m interested in an actually sane market-valuation of him

26. Wilsonian says:

Excellent work, had me forgetting that I should be serving the public right now (or not serving the public, depending on how you look at it) and get some guys out of jail. I really would like to know how these jokers actually get paid for this shizz…I mean, really, can I get a job as a ‘pert at the Network? I don’t know a damn thing except that I know more than those guys.

Anyway, I do have a legit question. As I’m sure you’re aware of my 16 Team H2H league that’s drafting right now. Well, some dude just took Jonny Venters. I’d been looking at Kimbrel due to some of what has been said on here (I believe Smokey likened his shizz to that of one Carlos Marmol). What’s your shiitake on the closer sitch in ATL?

27. God…I tried to read their commentary. Such garbage. I couldn’t take it. I threw up on my poor cat. She looked up at me with her hateful cat eyes. I told her that Ryan Howard was drafted after Adrien Beltre and Derek Jeter. She forgave me and proceeded to cough up a hairball. The hairball asked if those guys play in a money league. I hope so hairball. I hope so.

Thanks for bringing us the highlights, Grey. Some of us didn’t have the stomach to take that on.

28. Grey

Grey says:

@napoleongs: I think you’re onto something.

@shibboleth: No problem. Howard’s had problem in the past and he averages a lot of power every year. I’m not worried.

@LMack: Not sure.

@little bunny foofoo: It’s not happening this year with Weeks.

@Wilsonian: Grab Kimbrel. He’s the closer as of right now.

29. I totally agree about not wanting to be the guy with a Billy Butler and the other guys with Albert, Votto, Fielder, etc.

Unfortunately, I am that damn guy in a 5×5 12-team keeper league (probable keepers of Hanson, Hamels, Braun, Andrus, Stanton). It really sucks not having a big bopper like Gonzalez or Miggy.

It really doesn’t matter if something is deep if you’re not a guy with one of the good guys that makes the position deep. It sucks actually.

Grey – 1 question. I know you’re not a big closer guy… but would you say they are more important in a larger league such as 12, 14, or 15 team leagues? I guess the flip side is that if you use a 7-10th round pick on a good one, then that’s another batter you wouldn’t be getting. I would never consider drafting one even remotely in a high round in one of those 10-team ESPN leagues since you can almost always get plenty in free agency throughout the year.

30. Swapnil says:

Thats exactly why I love playing on ESPN…. Its pretty easy to win your league during the draft itself… Their rankings suck !!
    Loved your rant.. and your manlove for Ian stewart continues this year too I hope…
    Btw why were quinscomb drafting together?

31. sean says:

It’s a good thing these so-called experts only play in leagues against each other. They all seem to share a brain and it’s a weak one. Seems like most of these drafts devolve into a race to the bottom to snag pet players without any regard to the composition of the team. I guess in the ‘pert circles it’s better to be flashy than right.

32. Grey

Grey says:

@bob@867-5309: I think as the league gets deeper have to go safer with at least one closer.

@Swapnil: Rockies infield is pretty crowded right now.

@sean: Think you hit the nail on the head.

33. Mr.MojoRisin says:

I love seeing ESPN’s mocks being so terrible. I hate when the majority has good info. It makes it like the good old days, when you either did your own work or worked off a magazine printed in December.
    Long live crappy info at ESPN!!!

34. Swapnil says:

ohhh how about a new show idea grey..
    “So you think you can draft” or something like that…
    6 so called ESPN experts and 6 fans !!!

35. RandomItalicizedVoice says:

@Beau:

maybe go with beaux??

36. nmdunkel says:

Yahoo mock was pretty straight-forward. A couple laughers, but nothing real fun. ESPN and face-palm mocks are like saxophone solos in bad cop movies.

37. sean says:

@Grey: so much for the Berry interview redux

38. jack says:

First, I love your site and your takes on most everything. The ESPN mock was definately terrible.

Second, I’ve been in a pretty competitive keeper league for about 8 years now. I had a streak going where I won 4 years in a row (I know what your thinking, but it really is competitive). Anyway, I starting reading your site about 3 years ago. Over the past two years I’ve finished 11th and 7th! Crazy!

Third, I still love your site and agree on most of your takes on players. I still follow your advice and chalk the past couple years up to bad luck. Heres to a great 2011 and winning the SB category by 200 steals!

39. KeeblerMN says:

@ Mr. Punch – That was an awesome comment! If your cat’s hairball is looking for a league, let me know.

@ Grey – I hope that steam helped, I could feel your forehead vein ready to surrender.
    Aside from your site and some spreadsheet creations of my own I typically pick up a Magazine prior to the draft. Any magazine get the Razzball “Tip of the cap” or “Wag of the Finger” (Thanks Colbert)?

40. d2bnz says:

Just a reminder that CBS had Howard ranked #55……There seems to be a “conspiracy” of sorts with these perts …..and yet in my$$$ keeper league I have been barraged with trades wanting my first two picks of last year ….Howard and Wright.
    On another subject , given that you have given time and space to “utility” players , most of whom were bleh ……How about “pitchers who handle the maple”
    I’m referring to the guys who are capable of ensuring a W by padding their teams run output …..Gallardo and Wainwright come to mind.

41. Steve says:

@Grey: You referenced it, but I love how their bullshit picks are the foundation of their grand pronouncements on the depth or otherwise of a given position.

In the same vein, Berry has just released his top 200. Talks about how heavily he has devalued pitching this year. Then puts like 7 pitchers in his top 35 or something. I could maybe accept such buffoonery if he wasn’t so annoying.

But he is, so I can’t.

Neyer has landed at SB Nation, BTW.

42. Grey

Grey says:

@KeeblerMN: It did help, thanks. I don’t read fantasy magazines.

@d2bnz: CBS is laughable too but no one takes them serious so ignore them. Don’t see pitchers hitting is relevant to fantasy.

@Steve: Yeah, that’s one of my favorite things they do. 1st base is deep then they back that up with complete buffoonery.

43. Steve says:

@Grey: One more – Berry also said he was devaluing catchers a whole lot, on the strength of Soto being taken in the 19th in that mock.

Um, that doesn’t mean catcher is deep, it means you and your colleagues are a bunch of damn fools.

44. Grey

Grey says:

@Steve: I actually didn’t read anything in the commentary beyond Mass’s first blurb. That’s what they do though. We’re all going to draft terribly then reference this as a reason for our advice. It’s maddening.

45. Steve says:

@Grey: Oh, that was in the commentary accompanying Berry’s rankings – it’s really just more of the same, but with added annoyance.

He’s like a low-brow Keith Law.

46. 101 MPH says:

If it hasn’t already been said (and I haven’t read the 40 odd comments yet), the most hilarious part of the ESPN mock draft article was the conviction in AJ Mass’ commentary. In his comments, I was left with the succinct impression that Mass (who probably earns a pay cheque for his fantasy baseball analysis) genuinely believed he was drafting a legitimately good team. I found it hilarious because his rationalizing reminded me of a guy who wakes up naked on his door step after a three day bender and somehow manages to convince himself that he doesn’t have a drinking problem.

Remarkably, Mass’ competition didn’t draft much better than he did. What is it about ESPN that breeds fantasy baseball ignorance? If I could generate that kind of revenue offering bad advice about a subject I didn’t understand…. Holy crap!! ESPN is the fantasy baseball equivalent to Doctor Phil!!

47. Eddy says:

@Grey:

That was a great rant, Grey.

As soon as I finished reading the last sentence, I was in my full spartan gear ready to pillage Berry’s Fat Head followed by ESPN HQ.

P.S: “Quinscomb, the thing on the top of a rooster…” HA!

48. Tom says:

Hey Grey – Would you do a post on Draft Day strategies, like when you should pick a pitcher etc etc etc. – When do you think you should be picking up your first 2 pitchers 7th 8th?

49. Gip says:

And those “experts” as ESPN (I seriously think they should change their name to BSPN because it is a far better fit) actually pull down big bucks for their laughable advice — just ask Berry who thinks he died and went to heaven.
    Grey, you have far more gray matter than they do when it comes to fantasyland and since they have little or none at BSPN, you rock!

50. Grey

@101 MPH: Ha!

@Eddy: Let’s pillage!

@Tom: Yes, I do these. It’s January.

51. Grey

Grey says:

@Grey: I mean, uh, February. Damn, Mass took over my calendar.

52. Mic Vackey says:

Wow, that article really needs an FJM style takedown.

My favorite quotes (That Grey couldn’t stomach to post) from the article:

“I was stunned to see the reigning home run champion fall to me in the third round. Even if he loses 25 percent of his power numbers, that will still be good enough for 40 home runs and he has third base eligibility to boot. In my mind, there’s a huge drop-off from Bautista to waiting a round and settling for Adrian Beltre instead.”

And if he loses 75% of his HRs, and regresses back to his previous highs, he’ll be worthless, but it’s still better than taking El Sentor coming off a contract year. So that justifies this pick completely, right?

I really wish that there was a FJM for fantasy baseball “experts”, just for this paragraph:

“My picks include Juan Pierre and Rajai Davis, which should all but lock up stolen bases for me. Having a guy like Bautista certainly helps select a guy like Juan Pierre. Sure, Pierre isn’t going to hit any homers or drive in any runs, but if they both match last season’s numbers, combined it will be like having two players with 25 home runs and 30 stolen bases on my roster. Sign me up.”

/Head explodes
    So, I ask you, readers of razzball comments, how did AJ Mass figure that having Juan Pierre and Rajai Davis would even out to 25 HRs/ 30 SBs each?

With the setup that they used, this is Mass’ team:

C: Mike Napoli
    1B: Joey Votto
    3B: Jose Bautista
    CI: Derrek Lee
    2B: Ben Zobrist
    SS: Derek Jeter
    MI: Kelly Johnson
    OF: BJ Upton, Shane Victorino, Juan Pierre, Rajai Davis, Austin Jackson
    UTIL: Justin Smoak
    P: Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, Ricky Romero, Bronson Arroyo, Carl Pavano, Carlos Marmol, Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel
    BN: Ryan Theriot, Garrett Jones, Domonic Brown

Doode doesn’t even know how to draft a proper fantasy razzball team.

53. Tony says:

yep ESPN is turrible….

if we could all just get paid to do as crappy a job as those guys do…. the world wouldn’t have an unemployment problem.

54. AL KOHOLIC says:

ha napoli is one pf his top guys

55. Tarasco's Secret Stash says:

If you had the opportunity to acquire Ian Stewart right now for pennies, but with the caveat that you must keep him on your roster all year, do you do it?

56. Eddy says:

We all know Yahoo! opens on Feb.8th.

Does anyone know when ESPn opens their doors?

57. Dale says:

Mic, it’s pretty clear that he’s saying that the Bautista/Pierre combo is good for 25/30 (presumably Bautista is 50/10 and Pierre is 0/50). How he lives with the Davis pick isn’t part of that equation.

58. Eddy says:

Two things:

***Spots still open in one of the final Razzmocks!!**

It’s at 7pm EST this Thursday!

Password is balboni.

2) It may have been the stupidest bet ever, but I just waged that if everyone in my 12 man H2H keeper league threw in $30 (to make it a total of $50 per manager), I’d draft Yuniesky Betancourt in the 3rd round. They have exactly two weeks to get the money.

This should be interesting.

59. Steve says:

@Malacoda: I’m looking forward to the next follow-up in which he attempts to cover his arse after that load of nonsense.

Perhaps he could do a mock in which he picks every player for all 10 teams and draw some pointless conclusion from that.

60. Rocky says:

My brother, who is a semi-experienced fantasy baseball player, wants to start a league with our spread-out family members, who are likely to be less experienced than that. Should I host the league draft at yahoo or espn to achieve maximum possible domination

61. Tony says:

@ eddy, good luck with that haha, so its just upping the buy in? you that confident?

62. Mark says:

Howard at 35th is just stupid. That’s where I have the concussed Justin Morneau. I got Howard going 15th. He’s the sixth first baseman off the board too. Maybe those guys do a 1 first baseman with no utility league…or maybe they are paid to do dumb thing so we go back to their site the next year to see what they did wrong.

63. Jake in Columbus says:

Hey dudes (and 3 dudettes), the article I mentioned a while ago was published today if you’re so inclined to check it out. It involves visualizing player category values vs. ADP to identify trends. Grey has outlined as much here, but it could be helpful to visualize some of what he is talking about (dearth of HR and, of course, SAGNOF!).

64. Cwalinski did take Yuniesky Betancourt in his 4th round of that mock on ESPN. This isn’t the steroid era anymore. Players don’t drastically improve at 37 years of age without the juice. I can see Jeter improving on last years average some, but he’s not THAT Derek Jeter anymore either. Two of the last three years have been well below the bar he set when he was younger so we don’t need to hear about the “yeah, but last year…” stuff or we can go to the Meatloaf where 2 out of 3 IS bad.

65. Eddy says:

@Tony:

You bet your ass I am. Razzball is my secret weapon.

But from the looks of it no one wants to ante-up the $30.

A part of me is extremely relieved.

66. Malacoda says:

Aw I’m only kidding. By and large, ESPN’s hexperts are bi and large.

67. Mike from Jersey says:

Lmao this is great. The reason that you can never work for ESPN is 2 reasons 1. You use logic. That is something Matt Berry and friends aren’t very fond of. 2. You have actually insight. These other “experts” really need to quit. They do take some more risks than most “experts” but all of their risks are retarted. A good risk is dating a hot girl with some managable but questoinable baggage. A bad risk is dating a hot girl who spends her spare time cutting strands of your hair off and making a doll of you.

68. Mike from Jersey says:

@Mike from Jersey:

ESPN takes to take the 2nd of those scenarios. I think Matthew Berry still has Justin Upton’s gentials firmly wedged in his mouth.

69. Mike from Jersey says:

genitals*

70. anon says:

skeeter at 34? wow.. just wow.. That’s just bad.

71. LMack says:

@Jake in Columbus:

Pretty sweet article and the SB chart is very, very effective at illustrating SAGNOF.

72. Malacoda says:

Ok, so I will harp a bit more. Halladay went in the first round to Mass, and Wainwright went in the 5th. So Mass passed on Braun, Adrian Gonzalez, CarGo, Matt Holliday, Cano, and Wright, when he could have gotten the exact same pitcher in round 5 instead. In round 5 he took Verlander. In round 4 he took Jeter.

Somebody tell this guy it isn’t a 2 x 5 league.

73. Mr2Bits says:

@Grey : At least you didn’t tear into Mass with Bautista in the 3rd as it makes me feel warm about keeping him with a 24th round pick.

Wasn’t Gardner also supposed to be a late round filler and not a 9th round pick?

74. Grey

Grey says:

@Mike from Jersey: Yeah, I got one of those crazy baggage girls right now. She’d give MAss a run for his money.

@anon: Ha

@Malacoda: I enjoyed his follow up post where he says everyone is guessing so I’m not drafting bad. Then to prove it, he drafted a team for last year which wasn’t good either.

@Mr2Bits: Don’t mind Gardner so much there. Though I did get him in the 19th in a mock.

75. Mr2Bits says:

Grey : Also isn’t Lind at 15 a little late for a guy who qualifies to be all over the field?

76. Steve says:

@Grey: ptphpepnpapnpnpyp?

77. Grey

Grey says:

@Mr2Bits: Nah, he’s only eligible at UTIL in ESPN, I believe.

@Steve: Nah, she’s got her own issues. This is a different one who’s Milton Bradley crazy.

78. Stephen says:

@Jake in Columbus: Interesting article. The graphs were a bit cumbersome, however, I did bookmark it to analyze my 20 team league drafting strategy. Thank you for the link. Excellent job.

79. Grey's Mother says:

@Grey: Why can’t you just find a nice, normal girl and settle down?

80. Grey's Mother says:

@Grey: And a phone call every now and then would be nice.

81. It’d be fun to have a Razzball Mock draft filled with Grey, Rudy and selected commenters

82. Grey

Grey says:

@Grey’s Mother: Now I know it’s not you because we talk three times a day.

@obmij76: I know, right.

83. Grey's Mother says:

@Grey: Always answering back.

84. GopherDay says:

@obmij76: @Grey: That would be fun! Would you be up for that Grey?

85. Steve says:

@Grey’s Mother: Don’t be too hard on him Mrs A. He’s doing good and important work.

86. carlos marmLOL says:

Sure, mom, I settle down with a nice girl every night, then I’m free the next morning.

87. Jake in Columbus says:

@LMack:
    Thanks. Without looking at each example (read: tiny dot) in detail it’s hard to picture a particular player’s overall value, but I think the general concept is pretty clear and supports Razzball’s fundamental.

@Stephen:
    Glad you got some use from it. There IS an awful lot to look at there. It wouldn’t take much at all to limit the lower end of the visible player pool to clarify things. I used all the projections I had for the most complete view possible.

88. Mike says:

Yeah Mass is a maroon, and the dueling banjos Pierre Rajai picks made me laugh out loud. I could go on and on but the contrarian in me has to point that–in many league setups–he is not wrong on Halladay.

@Malacoda, not the same pitcher, let’s see Wainwright go 81-37 in the AL East, while pitching for the 4th best team in the division. Halladay had 24% of the wins necessary to win my league cat, that = 52 home runs. 250 innings of 1.04 WHIP, that’s 1/5 of my innings.

Yes Grey, there’s a boatload of 3.50 ERA guys, but 250 innings of 2.44 ERA? That pays for a boatload of SAGNOF my friend. And he does it every single year. Can’t get that anywhere else. It’s like the Butler/Howard analogy, except Doc is Pujols and there’s only 5 hitters on your team.

89. Grey

Grey says:

@Grey’s Mother: Listen to Steve, I’m working for the people!

@GopherDay: Yeah, maybe.

@carlos marmLOL: Nice

@Mike: To even begin to justify it, you don’t follow it up with Verlander four picks later.

90. Mike says:

@Grey: Exactly. Then you go Scherzer, Morrow, Marcum, Hudson, Lilly, Bedard. I’m getting kinda obsessed with that crew for my whole staff this year, ’cause it’s so doable. Course it won’t be once everyone starts reading all these posts. D’oh.

91. Rhymenoceros says:

I think the bozo’s I drafted with last night at MDC shared some of whatever the ESPN ‘perts are smokin’. Maybe I’m just sick (rhetorical!?!), but I love watching fantasy baseballers (thanks Grey’s mom) self-destruct past round 15. What’s better is reading the comments they post to justify their drug induced, ‘pert informed, picks.

On another note, Grey, I found myself in the awkward position of taking your mustache’s side tonight as my wife attempted to ridicule it. I did you proud, Obi-wan, real proud.

92. Cole says:

Well…technically Halladay is a better pick than Ellsbury in the first round.

Is there a certain round that you start to look to the donkeycorns for saves (I’m thinking Axford, Dotel, et al.) or is it based on what you need and/or whats available?

93. BKK says:

@Grey:
    Top 80 outfielders
    73. Jack Cust – He only has outfield eligibility in Yahoo leagues. That’s okay, cause you’re not drafting him anyway. Cust kayin’. 2011 Projections: 55/20/70/.250
    Top 10 Utilities
    7. Jack Cust – Another Atari. Cust kayin’. 2011 Projections: 60/20/70/.235

Just a note Grey that Cust received twice as much attention than he deserves.

94. Grey

Grey says:

@BKK: That’s hilarious, he gained some average if he plays outfield. Good catch, will fix when I get home.

95. Mike says:

@Cole: I forgot about Ellsbury, holy crap that is funny. Honestly, the more bad advice that gets put out by the high traffic sites, the more money I make in October. I see nothing wrong with that.

96. Hennessey says:

249th-T.Snider…OF

Thoughts?
    Reaches_and_value_picks?
    Strengths/weaknesses_with_hitting/pitching?

Thanks_Grey,_maybe_if_I_win_my_league_I_can_buy_a_new_lap_top!

97. Cole says:

@Mike: Yes! I try not to diss bad advice. The more poor information that is disseminated, the more money the smart make. Oh and sorry for the lawyer talk there.

98. Al says:

Somebody help a newbie out here. I’m starting out how to do research on players, but I have no idea where to go for advice on general draft strategy. Anybody have some good advice?

99. Hennessey says:

@Hennessey: I-just-went-back-and-looked-at-that-team-and-decided-it’s-pretty-terrible.-I-like-the-first-three-picks-and-a-few-others-later-on,-but-for-the-most-part-it’s-pretty-ugly.

100. Rhymenoceros says:

@Hennessey: I was thinking the same thing. The pitching is pretty atrocious, and honestly, outside of Te(i)x, where is your power coming from? Quentin? If he can stay healthy. Wright? If he doesn’t decide to have an off year.

101. Dingo says:

Wow – this might be my favorite justification of his boneheaded draft yet (from a recent chat):

“John (Tampa, FL)

I saw that you took Halladay in the first mock. Good pick but some other analysts say SP is the deepest position this year. Thoughts??
    AJ Mass
    (11:13 AM)

I agree that SP is very deep… but when you’re in a mock, you don’t know what everyone else is going to do — if my pick of Halladay sets off a run of SP, then even a deep SP pool starts to go quickly. Once I knew the other guys were waiting, I then waited longer on other SP.”

That’s definitely how you want to use your first-round pick — trying to fool others into abandoning their own strategies.

102. Ryan S says:

BREAKING NEWS: Unidentified sources claim AJ Mass got his job by preforming sexual favors for ESPN.com producers.

103. Malacoda says:

Actually Mike, Wainwright and Halladay are the same pitcher for fantasy purposes (this is a fantasy baseball site by the way), go compare their stats from last season.

104. Commish Cauda says:

Absolutely my favorite post every year…

105. Rhymenoceros says:

@Dingo: Nice post!

106. Jack Blunderbuss says:

ESPN should give up trying to do fantasy and go back to what they do best……….creating news that only exists because they create it and all other sportswriters copy from because they are as irresponsible as the four letter expletive they copy from…… Kinda like public high school with suits.

107. Jeff says:

Grey, you look like my dad when he was 30.

108. Mike says:

@Malacoda: I wouldn’t use one year’s stats to predict next year’s stats. They are similar, no doubt, but one is Pujols and the other is Votto. One has an extensive track record, the other has just come into his own. Wainwright had a career year last year (’09 wasn’t bad but check the ratios). Halladay does it every year. And Wainwright had to shut it down last year with a ligament something or other. Having said that, no way Wainwright lasts until the 5th round in any normal draft. These self-proclaimed “experts” are just trying to get our attention, and it worked.

109. reusabletp says:

I got a general feeling of “I really don’t give a shit” from most of the draft selections in that mock, how seriously did these guys take it? Maybe it was just my sub-conscience speaking to me while reading the snippets but the selections were all over the place.

Don’t let these guys suck you in to another one of these drafts Grey, I fear that ESPN may try to assimilate you.

110. samson says:

Grey, have you considered writing an article on how you’d take advantage of ESPN rankings?