LOGIN

Hello, my name is Brett Jackson. My recent power binge – four home runs in eight games – is confirming I am the Cubs best minor league player. Even when I strikeout nearly once every three at-bats, my prowess in the field and suave good looks will bring me to the top. Did I mention scouts believe I’m a lock for becoming a 20/20 player; at 15/18 across Double-A and Triple-A?  With a little under a month, I may just prove them right.

Here is some other Minor League news:

Randall Delgado | ATL | RHP (SP): Was promoted to Triple-A on 8/3/11 after posting a 3.84 ERA, 110:46 K:BB in 117 1/3 inning at Double-A. With a career high of 161 innings pitched in 2010, I don’t see the Braves limiting his total innings this year. Could receive a September call up, depending on matchup could be a nice flyer/streamer by the end.

Matt Moore | TB | LHP (SP): Another week, another solid Matt Moore start at Triple-A: 5 IP, 0 ER, 4 baserunners (1 BB), 9 K.

Tim Wheeler | COL | CF: I lament your existence and lack of pedigree only for you to wipe my face in your stellar stats. I sing your laurels and tattoo your namesake to my arm for you to upper-deck my porcelain god. Take your .171/.227/.171 slash line in 41 at-bats and, and, and … argh, it’s not worth the time. [/rant]

Anthony Rizzo | SD | 1B: Was demoted 7/21/11. Since 7/27/11, he is hitting .313/.366/.844 in 32 at-bats with 9 XBH (4 Hr). The Pacific Coast League definitely isn’t holding him back. His high strikeout rate in the majors and Petco probably had more do with his poor performance.

Julio Teheran | ATL | RHP (SP): What do you get when you’re the top pitching prospect in baseball, you have a string of consecutive starts were you haven’t lost since May, and you give up four runs in your worst start in over two months? Another win. His ERA is low, but is a positive, his strikeouts are down, but that is a negative, albeit, his walks are down, which happens to be a positive. Lows to remain one of the top pitching prospects for 2012, barring the Mayan’s predictions.

Martin Perez | TEX | LHP (SP): Lost in the shuffle of Matt Moore and Brad Peacock is Perez. One of the game’s top young (D.o.B: 4/4/1991) pitching prospects. He was promoted to Triple-A on July 16th, at the tender age of 20. His first start was decent, but starts two, three and four were a disaster. The most recent start (number five), was much better. He went 6 2/3 IP, 0 ER, 6 Baserunners (2 BB), and 8 K. Two years younger than my favorite young pitcher (Matt Moore), the Rangers number one prospect has plenty of time, pedigree and talent to reach the majors and become a bonafide number on starter.A

Johnny Giavotella | KC | 2B: The Royals promoted their 18th ranked prospect for Friday’s game. In Triple-A, he was hitting .338/.390/.481 in 453 at-bats with 45 XBH (9 Hr, 34 2B), 9 steals in 14 attempts and a 57:40 K:BB ratio. During his debut on Friday night, he went 2-for-3 with a double, RBI and a stolen base. He has gap power with slightly below average speed. Defensively, he’s a tweener. Nothing exciting. Don’t expect more than a few home runs and a couple of steals at most from Giavotella.

Zach Stewart | CHW | RHP (SP): The White Sox recalled Stewart to start Saturday against the Twins. Has control/command problems and good strikeout potential (8 K/9 ceiling) with his 94 to 96 MPH sinking fastball and biting slider.

Henderson Alvarez | TOR | RHP (SP): There were rumors that Alvarez would have received the Jays spot start given to Brad Mills. Alvarez is a ground ball pitcher who throws a 92 to 94 MPH plus-fastball and a plus changeup that has a feigned splitter action. His breaking pitch needs improvement. In 88 Double-A innings, he has 66 strikeouts, 17 walks, a 2.86 ERA (3.55 FIP) and a .286 BABIP. He is still learning how to pitch instead of throw and projects for middle-of-the-rotation.