LOGIN

I need to thank frequent commenter ltf for today’s lead. Tim Wheeler (COL, OF) has not been a highly touted prospect in the Rockies farm system – ranked number 21 overall. Since my Scouting the Unknown article written on June 1, 2011, he has hit 10 more home runs (6 weeks). With 24 home runs at Double-A and two multiple home run games in the last 10 days. Wheeler is positioning himself to skyrocket up the prospect ranking charts in 2012 while playing in the hitting friendly environment of his home park (Tulsa) and the Texas League. Is currently slashing .312/.392/.598 in 356 AB with 48 XBH (24 Hr) and 15 steals in 24 attempts with a 93:38 K:BB ratio. Keep a close eye on him, as the Rockies continue to spawn outfielders.

Tyler Skaggs | ARI | LHP (SP): Promoted to Double-A. First outing was poor at best: Gave up 5 runs, 10 baserunners (2 walks) and had 6 strikeouts in 4 innings. See Scouting the Unknown article for further details.

Drew Pomeranz | CLE | RHP (SP): Promoted to Double-A after rocking High-A with 95 strikeouts, 32 walks and a 1.87 ERA in 77 innings. Unlike Skaggs, Pomeranz’s debut went exceptionally well. Over 4 2/3 innings, he allowed one run (on a home run), 4 baserunners (1 walk) and had 5 strikeouts.

J.D. Martinez | HOU | RF: Check out the recent article by John Sickels detailing Martinez. Also see Scouting the Unknown article for further details.

Brett Lawrie | TOR | 2B/3B: Took batting practice last Sunday. A step in the right direction. We’re still looking at a mid-to-late August call up.

Alex Cobb | TB | RHP (SP): Will get the start on Monday (7/19/11) against the Yankees. He’s been very inconsistent when on the mound in the majors. Even with two wins and a sterling 3.41 ERA, I would avoid starting him on Monday.

Tyler Flowers | CHW | C: He was called up on 7/10/11 but has yet to see any playing time. This was expected. Nevertheless, if given playing time, he has the ability to hit 10 home runs over the rest of the season. Or kill your team’s average.

Logan Forsythe | SD | 2B: According to “unnamed sources,” Forsythe was recalled, again, on Friday to fill out the depth chart and fulfill the utility player role. Only in the deepest of NL leagues is he worth your time.

Brett Jackson | CHC | CF: Promoted to Triple-A on 7/15/11. Appears to be on track for a September promotion.

Jacob Turner | DET | RHP (SP): Jim Leyland stated that Turner’s chances of reaching the majors this year are a long shot. I would expect him to remain in the minors for this year and have every opportunity to win a starting job out of Spring Training. He has posted a 3.49 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 79/29 K/BB ratio over 100 2/3 innings at Double-A this year.

Zach McAllister | CLE | RHP (SP): Per Rotoworld (7/15/11), “Zach McAllister and David Huff are the prime candidates to be promoted from Triple-A Columbus to start for the Indians during Monday’s doubleheader.” I’d run far and fast in the other direction from these two options in all normal scenarios. However, they will be facing Minnesota. In deeper leagues, it would could be worth the stream start. I’d lean towards McAllister receiving the call.