Liriano - Does he suck?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
HighNOutside

Re: Liriano - Does he suck?

Postby HighNOutside » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 pm

The first five innings were shutout ball... I can live with progress like that. He walked way too many today, though, so it may be a mirage. Time will tell on this one.
Yeah, the point I keep trying to make is that he was pitching very very well and then suddenly, BAM! Same thing happened today, though fortunately later in the game than before, so its progress. I'm hoping he's still building up stamina and will return to form soon enough. His next probable starts are against CLE and KC so I'm gonna keep putting him in for a while.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:47 pm

The first five innings were shutout ball... I can live with progress like that. He walked way too many today, though, so it may be a mirage. Time will tell on this one.
Yeah, the point I keep trying to make is that he was pitching very very well and then suddenly, BAM! Same thing happened today, though fortunately later in the game than before, so its progress. I'm hoping he's still building up stamina and will return to form soon enough. His next probable starts are against CLE and KC so I'm gonna keep putting him in for a while.
Same here. I remember benching him against the Yankees and Red Sox on the road last year a few times and he wound up throwing 7-8 innings of shutout or 1 run baseball. I'm pretty much all in with him until mid-to-late May hits. If he still sucks then, I'll probably give up on him. In theory, he should be able to handle KC and Cleveland, even if they are the top teams in the AL Central.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

A-Rod's Cousin

Postby A-Rod's Cousin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 pm

He hit 95 several times tonight and was consistently hitting 93. Control was an issue, but early on he wasn't getting hit when he was in the zone. Given that he ran out of gas later in this game makes me think he just didn't come into the spring in good shape (which is a knock on his professionalism but is what it is) and is still working out the kinks. I'm not nearly as worried after tonight as i was before this start.

ChrisV82
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby ChrisV82 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 pm

I drafted him as a #2 in one league, and he's been proving to be a huge steaming number two.

Still, progress is progress.
I like sports with balls in them.

Effington

Postby Effington » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 am

I drafted him as a #2 in one league, and he's been proving to be a huge steaming number two.

Still, progress is progress.
At least he's not an upper-decker....

Not yet anyway.

chlenko

Postby chlenko » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Watched the game on TV. Velocity was good, hitting 96 a couple of times (according to the display on TV)

His control was awful. Rarely went first pitch strike on hitters. Frequently found himself in 2-0 and 2-1 counts. Catcher kept motioning to Liriano to slow down/settle down. I think he got a little bit fortunate that the lineup was not able to take advantage of the hitter's counts.

I believe he missed part of spring training with some arm issue? Maybe he is now just building up arm strength/getting a feel for his pitches.

Plus, as pointed out in the Fire and Ice post today, he is notoriously a slow starter.
14 team Dynasty league - '09/10/11/15 champ
C - Realmuto
1B - Olson
2B - Merrifield
3B - Donaldson
SS - Bogaerts
MI - Lindor
CI - G.Cooper
OF - Marte, E.Rosario, Castellanos, Buxton, Kipnis
UTIL - Dozier
BN - T.Shaw
DL - McCutchen, B.Rdogers