Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Grey

Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread

Postby Grey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 pm

I realize that I take fantasy baseball way too seriously. Anyway, I just got done with my add/drops for Saturday (i.e., tomorrow). I waited by the computer as the seconds ticked down to 2:20 and the first game began. Then I dropped J. Johnson for Kuroda (SF at home), Scherzer for Young (at Washington) and Callaspo for Aceves (Baltimore at home). Plus, Kazmir and I'm looking to rack up some serious innings on Saturday. The best part might be what I'm leaving for my opponent. Still angry that I left Maddux for him to grab today, I'm leaving him Cueto, Padilla, A. Sanchez, Sowers, Silva and a bunch of other guys who are risks to be blown up.

Not sure if I'm really using Aceves tomorrow. Seems like there's not much downside. In any event, if I change my mind, I can always switch him out for a MI one minute prior to the start of games tomorrow.

Great for me that the Cubs play the first game today. I was able to see that Soto is off today, so I swapped him out for Sandoval.

I'm trying really hard here. Hoping to close the gap by the end of the first week.
Last year, Rudy stayed up until 3am in the morning on a random Tuesday to grab BJ Upton from waivers. (Cause he cleared at midnight PST.) Gotta love fantasy baseball.

I like Aceves for tomorrow, but I guess you'll have a better idea after today's games.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:17 am

I don't know if it's possible for me to be more frustrated than I am right now. Yesterday, my batters gave me this: 13 runs, 5 HRs, 16 RBIs, .321. Terrific, right? I mean, seriously, yes it is. Having seen enough daily performances, I can attest to how incredible a night like this is for a line-up of the size of my team. However, this is what my opponent got yesterday: 11 runs, 6 HRs, 15 RBIs, 1 SB, .364. Argh! I want to bang my head against the wall. All the adjustments that I'm making amount to nothing when his team just keeps hitting and hitting and hitting.

And then there's inexplicable luck. My opponent grabbed Wolf and Maddux yesterday. He could have started both pitchers, but instead started only one (for no reason that I can tell). And with one, you would have figured he go with Maddux at home against SF than Wolf at Pittsburgh, right? Wrong. He went with Wolf and got 1 ER in 7 IPs, a win and 7 Ks. Maddux meanwhile sat on his bench and his 7 ERs in 5 innings meant nothing. Argh!

I just don't know what to say. Score now is 9-1, with me losing of course. Here is the breakdown:

Runs: 51-42
HRs: 18-14
RBIs: 48-44
SBs: 4-2 (I had 19 SBS last week! WTF happened to my guys?)
AVG: .343-.304
Ks: 51-50
Wins: 3-2
Saves: 4-2 (My closers aren't doing anything, but this is my only winning category right now.)
ERA: 2.24-6.85 (hopeless)
WHIP: 1.17-1.50 (hopeless)

Waiting until 1:05 to grab pitchers. My choices today aren't as good as yesterday. But ERA and WHIP no longer matter anyway. Just need Ks and a shot at wins. Goal is to grab 3 pitching categories and hope for a comeback in 2 batting categories.

Grey

Postby Grey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:22 am

I don't know if it's possible for me to be more frustrated than I am right now. Yesterday, my batters gave me this: 13 runs, 5 HRs, 16 RBIs, .321. Terrific, right? I mean, seriously, yes it is. Having seen enough daily performances, I can attest to how incredible a night like this is for a line-up of the size of my team. However, this is what my opponent got yesterday: 11 runs, 6 HRs, 15 RBIs, 1 SB, .364. Argh! I want to bang my head against the wall. All the adjustments that I'm making amount to nothing when his team just keeps hitting and hitting and hitting.

And then there's inexplicable luck. My opponent grabbed Wolf and Maddux yesterday. He could have started both pitchers, but instead started only one (for no reason that I can tell). And with one, you would have figured he go with Maddux at home against SF than Wolf at Pittsburgh, right? Wrong. He went with Wolf and got 1 ER in 7 IPs, a win and 7 Ks. Maddux meanwhile sat on his bench and his 7 ERs in 5 innings meant nothing. Argh!

I just don't know what to say. Score now is 9-1, with me losing of course. Here is the breakdown:

Runs: 51-42
HRs: 18-14
RBIs: 48-44
SBs: 4-2 (I had 19 SBS last week! WTF happened to my guys?)
AVG: .343-.304
Ks: 51-50
Wins: 3-2
Saves: 4-2 (My closers aren't doing anything, but this is my only winning category right now.)
ERA: 2.24-6.85 (hopeless)
WHIP: 1.17-1.50 (hopeless)

Waiting until 1:05 to grab pitchers. My choices today aren't as good as yesterday. But ERA and WHIP no longer matter anyway. Just need Ks and a shot at wins. Goal is to grab 3 pitching categories and hope for a comeback in 2 batting categories.
This is still doable. That's crazy he blocked your roundhouse kick yesterday with that insane of an offensive night himself.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks for keeping my spirits up, Grey. I'm a natural pessimist, if you haven't figured that out already.

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:26 am

Ok. 1:05 has come and gone. Here are my moves for Sunday's roster:

1. Dropped Young for Lewis (Detroit vs. Willis)
2. Dropped Aceves for Baek (at Washington vs O. Perez)
3. Dropped Kuroda for O. Perez (San Diego vs. Baek)
4. Dropped Kazmir for Moyer (at Florida vs Volstad)

Can't believe that I'm starting this ugly bunch. Depending on how my four SPs do today and whether B.J. Upton is back in the lineup (please!), I might opt not to use Lewis and/or Moyer and plug in two benched closers instead.

My other choices are:

1. Sonnastine (Minnesota vs. Liriano)
2. Volstad (Philadelphia vs. Moyer)
3. Willis (at Cleveland vs. Lewis)
4. Parr (NYM vs. Pelfrey)
5. McClung (at Cincinnati vs. Arroyo)
6. Feldman (LAA vs. Lackey)
7. Ducksworth (CWS vs. Danks)
8. Ohlendorf (Houston vs. Oswalt)
9. Reynolds (Arizona vs. Haren)
10. Richmond (Boston vs. Dice-K)
11. Waters (at NYY vs. Pettitte)

Sadly, I think that I've picked the best 4 out of the available options for Ks and a shot at wins. If Milwaukee were playing with any sign of actually wanting to be in the playoffs, I might go with McClung, but I see that game against with Arroyo as a loser, especially considering how Arroyo has pitched in recent weeks.

Is Sonnastine worth a pick-up simply because he is more likely to work deeper into games than one of my 4 choices now? Is Volstad worth a look. I have to admit ignorance on these guys. I've been ignoring them all year, and their peripherals are nothing to get excited about.

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:28 am

Oh, I also added Velez and dropped As. Cabrera for today. Figured that I need steals more. Now watch As. Cabrera crank out a HR.

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:58 am

Aceves went 6 innings with no earned runs. Too bad the Yankees can't put up even 1 run in that span, so I effectively get 3 Ks for my trouble.

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:59 am

Eh, I take back the negative tone. Wins are unpredictable. It was the right play, strategy-wise.

Grey

Postby Grey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Ok. 1:05 has come and gone. Here are my moves for Sunday's roster:

1. Dropped Young for Lewis (Detroit vs. Willis)
2. Dropped Aceves for Baek (at Washington vs O. Perez)
3. Dropped Kuroda for O. Perez (San Diego vs. Baek)
4. Dropped Kazmir for Moyer (at Florida vs Volstad)

Can't believe that I'm starting this ugly bunch. Depending on how my four SPs do today and whether B.J. Upton is back in the lineup (please!), I might opt not to use Lewis and/or Moyer and plug in two benched closers instead.

My other choices are:

1. Sonnastine (Minnesota vs. Liriano)
2. Volstad (Philadelphia vs. Moyer)
3. Willis (at Cleveland vs. Lewis)
4. Parr (NYM vs. Pelfrey)
5. McClung (at Cincinnati vs. Arroyo)
6. Feldman (LAA vs. Lackey)
7. Ducksworth (CWS vs. Danks)
8. Ohlendorf (Houston vs. Oswalt)
9. Reynolds (Arizona vs. Haren)
10. Richmond (Boston vs. Dice-K)
11. Waters (at NYY vs. Pettitte)

Sadly, I think that I've picked the best 4 out of the available options for Ks and a shot at wins. If Milwaukee were playing with any sign of actually wanting to be in the playoffs, I might go with McClung, but I see that game against with Arroyo as a loser, especially considering how Arroyo has pitched in recent weeks.

Is Sonnastine worth a pick-up simply because he is more likely to work deeper into games than one of my 4 choices now? Is Volstad worth a look. I have to admit ignorance on these guys. I've been ignoring them all year, and their peripherals are nothing to get excited about.
I'd go Sonnastine and Volstad over Baek and Lewis. Baek away from Petco is miserable, even against the Nots. While Lewis is a really bad play as well. Sorry.

But Velez is a fine speed replacement.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Lolhamburger

Postby Lolhamburger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Hmm, I must be completely clueless about Lewis. The guy has a 0.00 ERA and a 0.57 WHIP. He has 8 Ks and 2 BBs in 14 innings. Seems usable to me, especially considering that his team is playing well. What am I missing?

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”