G: Please rate my team

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Richard Pryor

G: Please rate my team

Postby Richard Pryor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Had the 8th pick in my 12 team H2H league with H, 2B, 3B, OPS & L, BB, CG, K/BB as additional categories (9x9).
30 innings minimum per week.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, UTIL
SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P
BN, BN, BN, BN

Everybody went crazy drafting SP's. I remained calm while starters kept falling off the board.

Here's my team:

(1) D. Wright (3B) - Could've had Votto/Arod instead of Wright/Prince.
(2) P. Fielder (1B) - It was either Prince or Tex. I took Prince.
(3) McCutchen (OF) - could've had J.Up, Choo & N. Cruz, but I chose the Dread Pirate because I thought his extra speed would complement my team better. No regrets.
(4) Jeter (SS) - reach of the draft, but with SS so shallow (Drew abdominal pains) and H & 2B being categories, I thought I didn't have a choice. S. Castro went 75th overall.
(5) Pence (OF) - a no brainer, really. My plan was to draft my first pitcher in the 5th (Verlander) but he went earlier that round
(6) J. Weaver (SP) - The following pitchers were already off the board: Halladay (1), Lincecum (2), Felix (2), C. Lee (2), Lester (3), Kershaw (4), J. Johnson (4), CC (4), Verlander (5), Ubaldo (5), D. Price (5), T. Hanson (6), M. Cain (6), C. Hamels (6). I felt this was the right time to choose my ace. Not as high on Liriano as you, specially with my pitching categories. Liriano can be wild.
(7) Krispie (OF) - My last OF. Ended up with 3 of your top 13 OF's while drafting them in Rds. 3/5/7.
(8) Oswalt (SP) - Liriano, Haren, Gallardo, Greinke, Latos & Buchholz went in Rd. 7. I thought Oswalt would make a good #2. He was the 22nd drafted SP.
(9) M. Scherzer (SP) - After I took Oswalt, Marcum & J. Sanchez were chosen. My plan was to finish off my rotation with Lilly & Kuroda.
(10) C. McGehee (3B) - This guy kept dropping and dropping, and even though I had Wright, I couldn't pass on him. I'll try to move him in the future. I think he has value. I passed on Vlad (with OF eligibility), G. Gzl, Napoli & A. Lind, all of whom were taken in the 10th round.
(11) G. Beckham (2B) - I felt like I had waited long enough, and I was sure he wasn't gonna get back to me. It was either Beckham here or Rayburn 2 rounds later.
(12) T. Lilly (SP) - I considered taking a RP here, but I think Lilly compliments my staff nicely.
(13) M. Thronton (RP) - My first closer.
(14) Montero (C) - 3 teams didn't have a catcher. Montero & Posada remaining. So I took him.
(15) Kuroda (SP) - Mission accomplished.
(16) Big Papi (UTIL) - Talk about value! Maybe I should've passed and taken L. Nunez instead.
(17) R. Soriano (RP) - At this point no good closers remained, so I took a RP with good ratios.
(18) E. Bedard (SP) -
(19) K. Ka'aihue (1B) -

What do you think of my team considering my league's categories? Where did I fk up? Please be honest.

Oregon Nut Cups

Re: G: Please rate my team

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:30 am

With a league that shallow, Jeter was too much of a reach. I would've punted SS at that price.

In a league your size, I would've wanted more arms then bench hitters. See what you can do to start swinging some hitters for pitching. Nothing against your staff, just this kind of league says you need arm depth not bench hitter depth. Might need some power, but overall not a bad team. With league size, you'll see plenty of moves before the year is out.
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

DrRyan

Postby DrRyan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I personally would have preferred Votto/Arod to Wright/Prince. Your SP should be ok, I like Scherzer a ton this year but your RP is a mess. Hopefully you can pick up a closer sooner than later this season.

Richard Pryor

Postby Richard Pryor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 am

In a league your size, I would've wanted more arms then bench hitters. See what you can do to start swinging some hitters for pitching.
Actually, I'm one of 3 teams with 6 SP's (5.5 considering one of them is Bedard). From previous experience, you only need 4SP to reach the 30 innings min per week.

Out of the 4 BN spots, I have 2 for hitters and 2 for pitchers. I like to pick up guys on those off days, since H, 2B, etc are categories.
your RP is a mess.
The thing with closers in my league is that since L, BB & K/BB are categories, it makes no sense to have a closer like Rodney/Valverde/Gregg, who will hurt you in ERA, WHIP, BB & K/BB, just to get saves. I honestly prefer to tank saves and have a guy like Soriano, who will give me great ratios and lower my WHIP & ERA. In my league, saves is just 5.5% of the pie (as opposed to 10% in a standard 5x5 league). And from past experience, even if you have good closers, you will win saves at most 60% of the time.

My reasoning could be wrong. If you feel that way, feel free to call me out.

Nevertheless, I'm sure at some point I'll be able to grab a good closer from the WW, since saves always come into the league, I think this year in particular.

Any other criticism is welcomed.

Richard Pryor

Postby Richard Pryor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 am

I personally would have preferred Votto/Arod to Wright/Prince.
Yes, me too. But I thought Arod wouldn't get to me in Rd. 2 since Yahoo! had him ranked 14, and the #11 & #12 Team were on autodraft. I knew for a fact that either Tex or Prince would be available in the second round (Zimm would also be available, but I'm not a huge fan), so I went with the sure thing.

I knew Braun was/is gonna have a huge year, but with just 3 OF spots, I couldn't justify a 1st round pick on an OF, specially knowing I would get good value later on. My plan was to take a 1B/3B with my first 2 picks. Of course, if I knew McGehee would last until the 10th round, I wouldn't have taken Wright with my first pick.

But there are a couple of Mets fan in my league, so I think he might be involved in a big blockbuster later on, specially if he gets off to a hot start.

jebusfreek666

Postby jebusfreek666 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:26 am

I agree, votto/arod would have been my choice as well.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:43 am

30 IP Min? your goal is to win pitching stats, not just hit the minimum. You can cycle more SP in on a daily basis and get stats for your pitching categories. Razz recommends 7-8 SPs on most teams, unless you have an inning cap.

If I were you I wouldn't hate my team, but I wouldn't absolutely love it either. I would have punted SS. You could have had Verlander and your staff, and instead of taking Bedard, you could have had Escobar. (plus there are red sox SS and others who can get you some decent numbers.) You have a lot of speed and need to look for more power. I also might have further punted C (if you punt a spot, why not really punt it) and got better RP.
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

Richard Pryor

Postby Richard Pryor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 am

30 IP Min? your goal is to win pitching stats, not just hit the minimum. You can cycle more SP in on a daily basis and get stats for your pitching categories.
You need to consider my league's pitching categories. We have BB, L & K/BB. That means if I were to start a lot of pitchers, I would most certainly be giving away L & BB to win K & 'possibly' W. And if those extra starters don't have good command, I would loose K/BB as well.
If I were you I wouldn't hate my team, but I wouldn't absolutely love it either. I would have punted SS. You could have had Verlander
Yes, perhaps. I really like Verlander this year, but 41 overall seemed like a bit of a reach, especially since everybody was going crazy drafting SP's. Overall, I think my pitching staff is not my problem.

I did some numbers yesterday. Used 2010 stats for pitchers and here's how my staff ended up compared to others (I'm in bold).

ERA WHIP K/BB
3.06 1.11 3.54
3.11 1.14 3.45
3.24 1.16 3.36
3.42 1.19 3.00
3.50 1.21 2.74

Problem with my team mates is that they got 2 stud SP's, but didn't back it up with a third & fourth decent option. The guy who took Halladay & Lester backed it up with Nolasco (has upside) & Cueto. The guy who took CC & Cain followed it up with Dempster & Garza. One team has C. Lee, Price, Hanson & Carpenter. By far the best rotation, but his offense sucks.
I also might have further punted C (if you punt a spot, why not really punt it) and got better RP.
I agree with you here. I could've had Nathan in the 14th instead of Montero.

Please keep the critics coming! I'm grateful.

blinkuldhc

Postby blinkuldhc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 am

We all need to realize the effect of scoring those 9x categories. That changes the value of guys like Adam Dunn clones (low/mediocre 2B, 3B, H), SAGNOF closers (bloated K/BB, BB, L), workhorse SPs (Carl Pavano 2nd in MLB with 7 CG), etc.

That said:

1. Jeter was a huge reach -- you picked him within the top 40ish picks, that shouldn't happen in any league (though he may carry slightly more value in your league). Either go for the top SS or punt SS. Jeter is not worth the price you paid.

2. If you really wanted SS that badly, you should have taken Tulo at #8 if available. Or, take Reyes at #17, or even at #8 would be better than Jeter at top 40ish. Actually, Reyes should be the pick, he'll destroy your league. What 2010 J. Bautista did in HRs, Reyes does in H, 3Bs, SBs, 2Bs... WITH SS ELIGIBILITY.

3. Beckham seems like a reach, too. The guy is a bit overrated. No elite HR or BA potential, no SB at all. I think Raburn has a lower risk AND higher upside (25+ HR potential, .850 OPS potential, slightly better SB totals).

4. I would have gone Votto/Arod, especially since your league scores H/XBH/OPS. ARod owns Wright in the important cats. Votto OWNS Fielder in 2B, OPS, SB, AVG, H and is slightly better in R, RBI (all per 162 games). Votto has also been on the rise, Fielder has been regressing.

5. DUDE, punt catcher at that point. Were you really worried that the 2-3 other C-less owners were going to "beat you" to Montero? At that point in the draft, there's no catcher that you could draft or not-draft that would make any sort of difference in competitive balance.

6. Weaver was a great pick. He's so underrated, don't know why. Elite WHIP, and he's a workhorse.

7. I think you'll be among the top in WHIP, but you may need more pure K, K/BB guys, though, e.g. the high risk, high reward SPs like Edwin Jackson, Jhoulys Chacin, et al.

8. Uh, you should have taken Nunez over Papi. You ended up with one pure closer (Thornton) and one hopeful CP, current set up (Soriano), and btw Rivera is already 2-2 in SV opps. YOU NEED CLOSERS.

9. Now that I think about it, Pence was a reach in the 5th, yet you say it was a no-brainer. Your league is NOT a match for Pence.

Check out Pence's 2010 rankings among OUTFIELDERS only: 32nd in OPS, 30th in 2B, 24th in BA. He's not even great in the other categories (HR, SB, H, RBI, 3B, R). In standard 5x5, Pence delivered in most categories -- in your league, not the same... he doesn't deliver in most of the 9 categories.

To put it in perspective, a guy like Nick Markakis suddenly beats Hunter Pence in 5 of the 9 categories (H, 2B, 3B, OPS, BA), and in the other 4 categories, Pence isn't exactly dominating (maybe HR). Look at Andres Torres, he DEMOLISHED Pence in OPS, 2B, 3B, SB. Sorry, but Pence has much less value in your league.

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”