LOGIN

I usually like to keep private emails private, but when it’s matters of the state or sleepers, all is fair.  The first email was from Hank from Dearborn, Michigan.  Hank writes, “Where’s Brennan Boesch?  I’ve been long time reader of Razzball and I wish to know the answer to this question.  Until I know said answer, I’m farting in your general direction.”  Eddie Murphy from Los Angeles writes, “I can’t believe you didn’t write a sleeper post about Brennan Boesch.  By the way, this is the last of my final thousand words I’m allowed to say before they stop letting me make crappy, family comedies.”  Finally, in writes Larry King, “Anyone see where I put my suspenders?”  Sorry, Hank, Eddie and Larry, Brennan Boesch has been on my radar, but I guess I just needed a little push from you guys.  So what makes Brennan Boesch a 2012 fantasy baseball sleeper?

January Grey placed him in a tier called, “At least two of these guys will break out and shoot up the rankings for 2013.”  Boesch could easily be that guy.  He reminds me a lot of Mike Morse as he was headed into the 2011 season.  All signs point to him about to break out.  Last season, Boesch hit 16 homers, stole 5 bases and rang up a .283 average in only 115 games.  There’s nothing there screaming out at me that is unlikely to happen again, so if you prorate all of those numbers up for 150+ games, Boesch looks like a legit third fantasy outfielder.  Since he’s about to be 27 years old, there’s a chance for more as he hits his peak.  Maybe peaking near 25 homers, getting lucky with runs and RBIs and hitting .280.  Basically, Mike Morse.  At the worst, he looks like a 1st half player.  Last year, 12 homers pre-All-Star Break, 4 after.  In 2010, 12 homers in the 1st half and 2 homers in the 2nd half.  Some ‘perts have been saying that’s a negative about Boesch.  I’d much rather draft a guy that I don’t have to wait on until June to start hitting.  At least with Boesch, you see dividends, then trade or drop him in July.  I predict by mid-April a common comment on the site will be “Boesch…and…bomb!”