LOGIN

A quick preamble about the 2011 fantasy rookie series that is coming all this month.  Rookies are picked through MLB eligibility requirements, less than 130 ABs or 50 IP.  There’s no Eric Young Jr, no Ryan Kalish, no Peter Bourjos etc. etc. etc.  Okay, with that shizz out of the way, let’s get down to bidness.  Carl Crawford is going to the Angels or the Mets or somewhere else where he’ll probably lose some value.  But that’s for another day, or night if you’re a vampire.  (Hey, sucky!)  Either way, Desmond Jennings time is nigh, a word that only sounds negative.  In this case, it’s positive, ya’ll!  DJ is currently on the ones and twos for top ranked MLB prospects.  He’s ranked second on Stephen’s top 50 fantasy baseball prospects thing-a-ma-boob.  He’s ranked number one for me.  Numero uno.  The Big Mahoff.  Dora the Explorer, Boots the Monkey and Swiper the Fox all wrapped in one!  (What, not street enough?)  In 2010, he swiped 37 bags with a .362 OBP in Triple-A.  In 2009, 11 homers, 52 steals and a .401 OBP (in Double and Triple-A combined).  So what can we expect for Desmond Jennings in 2011 fantasy baseball?

He’s never had an OBP lower than .360 at any stop in the minor leagues, so I don’t think the bottom is going to fall out on that in 2011.  If he’s getting on base, he’ll be stealing bases and scoring runs, whether he’s slotted leadoff or ninth.  Is he much more than SAGNOF?  Yes and no.  He can be more than SAGNOF for 2011, but, worst comes to worst (or wurst comes to wurst, if you’re German) he’s going to steal bases.  There’s the possibility of him getting 5-8 homers and he has the power for 12.  If he reaches the top end of his ceiling, you’re looking at Carl Crawford.  More likely, you’re going to open up this Crackerjack and get half a Carl Crawford.  Say a Carlford.  You ain’t got the Craw yet, kid!  In mixed leagues, Jennings will be worth drafting late as your fifth outfielder.  If he hits well in April, his value will go through the roof and you might be able to flip him over the top rope.  Or hold him and get a line near 75/5/45/.270/35 with upside from there.  The world is yours, Des!  Des, “It’s mine, it’s mine, it’s mine.”