Keeper Draft Strategy Question

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Grouchomarxist

Keeper Draft Strategy Question

Postby Grouchomarxist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm

So i'll see if I can pick on the collective wisdom of the forum here and ask a question that is on my mind heading towards my upcoming draft.

If I have 9 keepers, and a "gap" in talent on my roster, should I not keep 9 players and pick a spot or two early in the hopes of picking up that missing talent?

Let me lay it out in detail (league specifics in my sig): I pick 9th out of 12 after finishing 4th last year.

I have obvious keeper picks in Rd 1 & 2 in Crush Davis and E5.
I have no player currently on my roster that would slot into a 3 Round Pick by Grey's rank (picks/ranks 25-36), with an obvious need for a #1 OF type in the Upton, Ellsbury, Rios range.
My next obvious player (by Grey's rankings) is Wil Myers for the 4th Round.
Rounds 5-8 fill in with H. Bailey, F. Liriano, K. Jensen. After that I have a cluster of players at the end of the keeper rounds which will finish at around the 100th pick (W. Rosario, D. Fister, G. Cole, H-J. Ryu), or are prospect types (S. Miller, T. Walker, M. Wacha, N. Arenado).

My league has some very active players that will likely take all 9 keepers, and some not so active players that could stand to go with 6-7, but will probably also take 9 keepers. There is a good chance guys like Jose Abreau, Billy Hamilton, Alex Cobb, Julio Teheran, Jedd Gyorko will be available with that kind of pick. Thats assuming everyone picks somewhat rationally and no one leave someone like Pujols or Braun off their keepers. There is also a chance some higher risk guys are available, aka Kemp or Hamilton, or guys where a particular team is loaded at that position, S. Marte, D. Price, J. Donaldson, J. Reyes for example.

My hope would be,
a) improve my roster with a player I need (Gyorko would be great but I think he might be there later).
b) stockpile at a position and trade from strength for what I do need, but it isn't a trade happy league.
c) Get lucky that someone is an idiot and strike gold.

So is it a crazy strategy? Should i take my 9 guys and hope for the best available come the real draft? Or should I gamble some and see what I can get? Apologies for the wall of text but I know more info is better. I appreciate any input
ESPN 12 Team 1C,1B,2b,3B,SS,3OF,1UTIL, 5SP,4RP, 5Bench: R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG / W,K,ERA,WHIP,SV+HDS Snake Draft, 9 Keepers

Grey

Re: Keeper Draft Strategy Question

Postby Grey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Take 9 guys and draft what you need at the draft... There's no reason to get rid of known qualities for unknown ones...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

blurred

Re: Keeper Draft Strategy Question

Postby blurred » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am

In that scenario I'd be tempted to 'reach' for a player to slot them in to that position, rather than move up, what, 10 spaces from 9th round to early in the 8th round, effectively getting 100th pick instead of 110th?

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”