SON Shooting BULLETS!

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

SON Shooting BULLETS!

Postby Simply Fred » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Had our RCL draft last night. Was curious what, if any, impact all that drivel about streaming might have. You be the judge:

30 RP selected through RD14
55 SP drafted, in total through 25 rounds--4.6 SP per team
62 RP drafted
The following on waivers tonight, FA to follow:
Grey’s overall #33 SP, Jarod Parker, #2 SP for Oakland, SEA/home
Grey’s #49, Miley, #3 for AZ, STL/home
Grey’s #50, Anderson, #1 for OAK, SEA/home
Oh BTW: EIGHT #1 SP:
Masterson
Chacin
Norris
Nolasco
Worley
Anderson
Volquez
Harrison
NOT DRAFTED and AVAILABLE on the WIRE!
Hmmm, let’s see, ‘waste’ a waiver pick on Anderson at home vs. SEA? 1 headsup at SEA last year, 6IP, 0.00/1.00 with 4Ks. Last year at home 1.38/.77. How did this guy not get drafted when Antonio Bastardo and Wilton Lopez were? You’d have to read all that hype on streaming to understand it.
Now-what to do? what to do?
Fire them bullets, Rudy!
Last edited by Simply Fred on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slaught's Onslaught

Re: SON Shooting BULLETS!

Postby Slaught's Onslaught » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I get your overall point, but I am not sure a pitcher's spot in the rotation says anything about his value. Chacin, Worley, Nolasco, those guys shouldn't be owned, regardless of being the best of five terrible pitchers on a given team.

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Simply Fred » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Just pointing out that with only 55 SP from the total pool there will be MANY WORTHY SP available.

Slaught's Onslaught

Postby Slaught's Onslaught » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah, I get that. I guess it also shows how many MLB teams don't have anything close to a #1 starter. Not drafting Parker or Anderson seems crazy to me, but I have never been in a draft where this strategy caught on like that.

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Simply Fred » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

doubt anybody has.

Rudy response: "That is noteworthy but it’s also likely specific to your (admittedly awesome) league. The RCL Expert league drafted 74 SPs and 40 RPs (counting Aroldis). FWIW, the Stream-o-nator’s daddy drafted 4 SPs (Lee, F-Her, Lynn, Holland) and 7 RPs (Chapman, Reed, Street, Jansen, Marmol, K-Rob, Albuquerque).

Looks like your league will be the guinea pigs for RCL Streaming 2.0 – if multiple teams are streaming, what is the best strategy? I don’t have the answer. But assuming multiple streamers, I’d expect a lot of competition for good streaming matchups and increasingly having to ‘grab and hold’ SPs a few days in advance of their start. It will also lead to more “well, Anderson’s next start looks okay, i’m gonna keep him for a 2nd start”. Just my best guess…"

me: "Yes, clearly our league exceeded my expectations for the depth that streaming could go. Could easily devalue streaming, or, prove it even more valid. Should be a fun ride! BTW: the top two ranked teams at the end had a total of 3 SP. I know, I know, ESPN ranks mean very little. And, it is interesting that these teams rank dead last in W and K, but will be competitive as they stream in their 180 SP. It appears all upside to me…"

Slaught's Onslaught

Postby Slaught's Onslaught » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Rudy's example is a different case because he has two elite starters. Lee and F-Her will account for about a third of his starts more than likely. Did anyone in your league get multiple top pitchers, Fred?

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Simply Fred » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes! Here's our draft:
http://games.espn.go.com/flb/tools/draf ... 301&mode=1

This all very new territory to see streaming attempted at this level. Several teams drafted 3 or 4 SP, looks like intending to stream--just not totally.

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Simply Fred » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Slaughts, re: Parker. In 4.2 IP home vs. SEA last year he gave up 6 earned. Sure, he 'could' throw bullets this time around. On the other hand, it kind of goes hand-in-hand, that it is key to avoid those types of blow-ups. Hence, not drafted, but, I am sure, will be streamed further on.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”