Draft Board for a Very Unique League

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Curtis.E.Bear

Draft Board for a Very Unique League

Postby Curtis.E.Bear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am

My friends and I are doing an ESPN points league (if you haven't done it before it's kind of like a roto league except you get a certain point value for anything your player does and the points are cumulative. So you get X amount of points for a HR, RBI, HBP, K, etc. Literally everything associated with baseball has a point value) with 8 teams and 30 man rosters. The catch is each team has to have 1 and only 1 player from all 30 MLB teams. Starting positions are 2 C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, MI, CI, LF, CF, RF, 2 OF, and 1 Util.

I'm wondering if this rule would perhaps change your line of thinking in the 1st round of the draft? I thought about team scarcity a lot when making my draft board for the 1st round, but I might just be over-thinking things:

1. Braun
2. Miggy
3. Cutch
4. Trout
5. Cano
6. Giancarlo
7. Pujols
8. Votto

Questions:

1. Braun>Miggy? Brewers are terrible for this format whereas Detroit is one of the stronger teams.
2. I think 3-5 could be ranked in any order. I've thought about Cano at 3 given my bearishness on NYY as a (fantasy) team and the overall scarcity at 2B, although CF is also fairly thin.
3. Giancarlo in front of Pujols, Votto, and Fielder?

Thanks.

Mauddib

Re: Draft Board for a Very Unique League

Postby Mauddib » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am

I think it could play a factor but I wouldn't give it too much weight. The Braun example is a good one and one I would probably follow. But I wouldn't go to an extreme like Headley over Cabrera or anything. The later in the draft, the more I would be looking at this. Kind of like positions, I don't stress about it at the start of the draft but the deeper it goes the more I keep an eye on the depth of each position.

Curtis.E.Bear

Re: Draft Board for a Very Unique League

Postby Curtis.E.Bear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 pm

I found out I'm picking 6th. Just looked over the player point totals from last year for this format. Giancarlo took a big hit because K's are -1 point and he doesnt score many runs or walk. Based on ESPN's projections, Giancarlo doesn't even project in the top 20. If you're curious, you can see the rankings here.

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/freeagency ... lastSeason

I'm guessing the 1st 4 picks in some order will be Trout, Cutch, Miggy, and Braun. Here's the rough draft of how I'm setting up the top 11 (through my 2nd pick):

5. Cano
6. Votto
7. Fielder
8. Pujols
9. Longoria
10. Bautista
11. Beltre

Good arguments for Cargo, Hamilton, Holliday, Kemp, or even taking the dreaded shot on Tulo. Anyone wanna take a crack at this?

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”