How do I suceceed in a head to head league?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
GilaMonster

How do I suceceed in a head to head league?

Postby GilaMonster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 am

I have asked for help before, but I've made a trade and pinpointed the problem.....the head to head format. I am doing very well in totals for the season, but struggling to win categories every week. Here is where I am ranked in every category in h2h record, and then season totals.

11th ranked in Runs, Yet 4th in total,
2nd in HR, 1st in total
8th in RBI, 3rd in totals
9th in SB , 7th in totals
8th in TB, 2nd in totals
11th in average, 6th in total
4th in Wins, 3rd total
Save is actually 4th for both same for Ks at 2nd and WHIP and K/9 at 3rd
Ranked 9th for ERA, 3nd total

I so basically, I am top 5 every category except 2 which is impressive, but ranked 8th in the league.

Grey

Re: How do I suceceed in a head to head league?

Postby Grey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 am

You're having some really bad luck...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Just about the only advice I can think of applies to future seasons and is almost worthless for this season: get steady players and avoid streaky hitters. Sometimes it's better to have a steady guy like Ryan Braun, Albert Pujols, etc. than a guy who will help you win 4 weeks of the season and not do a whole lot in any other weeks. Some streaky hitters I think need to be considered less valuable in H2H than they are in Roto, like Jay Bruce, Tulo, CarGo, Giancarlo, Luke Scott, etc.

Everything else can be covered by Grey in this post:
http://razzball.com/?s=h2h+strat

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

blinkuldhc

Postby blinkuldhc » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 am

Sounds like bad luck, really. What's your roster/lineup breakdown like? I.e., how many hitters, bench, SP, RP, etc.?

Don't worry, it's a long season, and the beauty of H2H is that you can certainly win the league despite being back in the pack at the A-S break.

Obviously, you need more consistency in hitting. In Head-2-Head, consistency is king; Josh Hamilton hitting 7 HRs in one week but then 0 HRs in the next 2 weeks actually hurts you quite a bit.... so consider trading one of your Big Bats for a known-hitter who plays 150+ games. My guess is that your lineup has Josh Hamilton, Adam Dunn, Ed Encarnacion, Josh Redick, et al....

I would try trading away a big bat for maybe Starlin Castro. He's durable, he plays a position where you can achieve huge offensive gains, and he's consistent. I'd try the same thing at catcher, as well (maybe target Buster Posey).

Personally, with your Big Bats on your roster, I'd max-out my roster space with pitching. I'd carry 5-6 SPs, 5-6 RPs, and then I'd just crush all the pitching categories. You don't need to carry guys like Ty Wiggington or whoever else is on your bench who's just there for his 4 at-bats per week.

thejvp

Postby thejvp » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:51 am

ive been going thru the same thing this year, despite many years of H2H success with the help of Razzball. It is very annoying but what I find helps is just straight out hustling the waiver wire for the hot batters by sorting by 7 or 14 days. Grey is always writing about the streaking hitters and those guys can put you over the top especially if the core of your team is solid.

ChrisV82
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby ChrisV82 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 am

If your bench is deep enough, you should have one or two spots every week available to rotate the next hottest guy. Justin Ruggiano is the kind of guy you add, ride like hell, and when he breaks his leg, shoot him in the head.
I like sports with balls in them.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”