Drop Maybin?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
kevo252

Drop Maybin?

Postby kevo252 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

Thinking about dropping Maybin for Aaron Hill. Would then be able to bench Zobrist until he comes around a bit.

I already have Konerko locked into my untility spot and Heyward and McCutchen locked into two out of my three OF slots. My other OF slot could be filled by a combination of De Aza, Zobrist and Rasmus.

It would be for my 10 team roto team listed below. Thoughts?

Ryan C

Re: Drop Maybin?

Postby Ryan C » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

Pretty sure Grey advised against dropping Maybin to you yesterday...but if you need a little more influencing I will add my take that you don't drop Maybin at this point.

Maybin is a 40 SB man from a year ago, who has enough pop to deliver 15-20 HR power this year. That has value in ANY format and you just don't toss it away cause the guy is having a slow April. I like Maybing long-term more than De Aza OR Rasmus. Zobrist will be a top 5 2B by year's end. If you move him from 2B, he's just an average OF in terms of value. Keep him where he is and trust that his numbers will come. Just don't see how it makes your team better. Aaron Hill had one big game two weeks ago, since then he's been meh. Step back from the ledge and keep your best players where they are.

kevo252

Postby kevo252 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 am

I understand the "wait it out, be patient" dogma as much as the next guy, but I think it applies more to deeper formats where there is no talent on the waiver wire.

This is my first year in this ten team league with only 5 bench spots. I have only ever played in 14 team leagues with a ten man bench before. There are unlimited transactions and constant movement on the waiver wire.

I understand that Maybin's long term projections may be better than Rasmus and De Aza, but in the long run, he is also a guy I got in the 15th or 16th round that has a lifetime batting average of .250 and only one good season under his belt.

I don't know why playing the hot hand is such a bad idea in a league like this. If Maybin starts to heat up, I can just grab him again.

In a shallow league like this, it seems to me that sitting on guys and hoping they start to contribute is a losing proposition. I want to get Maybin and Zobrist out of my lineup for now, their sub .200 averages are killing me.

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Then drop him. It sounds like you're not so much asking for advice, as you are seeking affirmation. If you think he's not worth league average value he should be on the wire.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”