General Drafting Strategy? (I'm a first year noob)

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Wilsonian

Re: General Drafting Strategy? (I'm a first year noob)

Postby Wilsonian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Also check out rotoinfo.com. They post pretty quick updates, usually from twitter and other web sources on injuries. Other than that, when it comes to injuries I get most of my info from Razzball, Razzball comments, and twitter.

And regarding when to take a pitcher, check out Grey's pitcher rankings. You'll want one from the tier he says when you should start taking one. Don't go after the big 5...they're too expensive and you'll get nearly as good stats from someone else. Look at the David Price, Jon Lester tier. That's where you should start. And like others have said, try the pitcher pairing tool. You should be able to get all the stats you need that way.
8 Team H2H (H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OB+SLUG, W, QS, SV, Ks, Ks/9, ERA, WHIP)

C - McCann
1B - Fielder
2B - Utley
3B - Longoria
SS - Tulo
OF - Jones
OF - Crush Davis
OF - Marte
UTIL - Hanley
UTIL - Jennings
BN - Pedro

SP - Gio
SP - Scherzer
SP - Moore
RP - Mujica
RP - Parnell
P - Gregg
P - Benoit
P - Minor
BN - H.Bailey
BN - Lackey
BN - Hellickson
BN - Kluber

16 Team H2H (H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OB+SLUG, W, L, SV, Ks, Ks/9, ERA, WHIP)

C - JP
1B - Goldy
2B - Uggla
3B - Machado
SS - Tulo
OF - Jones
OF - AJax
OF - Stanton
UTIL - Francisco
UTIL - Lo-Cain
BN - Heyward
DL - BJ

SP - Moore
SP - Dempster
SP - Latos
RP - Mujica
RP - Uehara
P - Veras
P - Porcello
BN - Parker
BN - Erasmo
BN - Nolasco
BN - W.Peralta

letsgobravos

Postby letsgobravos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello,

This will officially be my first year doing Fantasy Baseball, so I'm fresh and unknowing. Is there a general accepted drafting strategy? For instance, always grab a certain position before another? Wait a certain amount of time for a pitcher? Grab 1B first, then OF, followed by 2B? Do I just use Grey's top 300 list and grab the best available?

I did hockey this past year (which I also was a noob) and won it (very competitive), but what really helped me out was that somebody gave me a 'blueprint' to draft. Would a system like that work with fantasy baseball?

Here is our league setup:

12T H2H
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG)
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

TL;DR - New to fantasy baseball. Is there a widely accepted rule on what position to draft per round? :?:
First, are you playing H2H or roto? If its H2H, this article by Grey will be helpful...http://razzball.com/fantasy-baseball-dr ... ategy-h2h/

Here's a couple of other pointers that I have gleaned from reading razzball for the last year...

1. Your first 10 picks should be offense heavy. Grey really pushes the idea of loading up on offense early and waiting for value pitchers later in the draft. Its also a good bet to try and leave the first 3 rounds with a 1b and either a 2b/3b.

So leave the first three rounds with a 1B and a 2B/3B .. what is the other category? OF?

2. Definitely don't take a pitcher in the first 2 rounds and its probably best to wait until the 4th or 5th round unless you get an incredible steal on an elite ace in the 3rd. My strategy this year has been to make Greinke my first target pitcher in the 4th round. This pitching tool based on grey's rankings is really helpful. http://razzball.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ngs_1.html

Thanks!

3. Power is a much greater commodity than speed. Look for guys who can hit 25-30+ homers instead of pure speed guys in the middle rounds. There will probably always be a 20-30 steal guy available on waivers.

4. Don't draft elite closers. Depending on your league's roster set up, you can draft a couple of middle tier closers in the 11-14th rounds and then grab a cheap guy like Myers in the final rounds. If you get 4 decent/mediocre closers, you'll still probably beat the teams who drafted guys like Kimbrel in the 6th-8th round.

So what does the first 10 rounds typically end up looking like?

Hope this helps! Good luck.

(Grey, feel free to point out where I have strayed away from your philosophy)
1. 2 infielders and an outfielder is a good approach, but you could take a 3rd infielder if you were presented with the right value. My approach this year in both of my drafts thus far has been to get an elite 1B with my first pick then look for the best infielder/outfielder available with picks 2 and 3. I've found that either Stanton or McCutchen will be available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round so they are good guys to keep an eye on.

2. For the teams in my sig, you can see that the first 10 rounds were 7 or 8 batters and 2-3 pitchers. If you use the pitching tool I linked earlier for a mock draft, I think you'll see that you can put together a very solid staff while only taking 2-3 pitchers in the first 10 rounds.

VinWins

Postby VinWins » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 am

Not sure if somebody pointed you to the tier sheet already:

http://razzball.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Tiers.html

MinnieAndPaul

Postby MinnieAndPaul » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 am

Not sure if somebody pointed you to the tier sheet already:

http://razzball.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Tiers.html
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!
12 Team H2H
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG)
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

C Ruiz
1B Votto
2B Kendrick
3B Inge
SS Seager
OF McCutchen
OF Pence
OF Heyward
Util Butler
Util Schafer
BN Longoria
BN Berkman
DL Howard

SP Bumgarner
SP Gonzalez
RP Rodney
RP Robertson
P Lester
P Sanchez
P Scherzer
P Lynn
BN Capuano
BN Marshall
BN Rodriguez

Stumanji

Postby Stumanji » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:55 pm

My 2c.

Before your draft, do a few mock drafts (you can do them on ESPN or Mock Draft Central), using Razzball rankings/tiers and experimenting with the aforementioned strategies to see what kind of team you end up with and what you think will work for you. A lot of mock drafters will abandon the draft before it is over, which means their teams will be auto-drafted using pre-rankings, so take the later rounds with a grain of salt.

I think Grey's Tiers are one of the most helpful draft tools, because it's more than just a straight-up list of guys from 1-300. You can see the value of players relative to other guys at the same position. The tiers are also helpful because you can identify a "range" of players that you want to grab; it's ok to like a specific player, but don't fall in love to the point where you are reaching way too high just to get him. For example, if you identify Tier 3 ("If I don't have one starter already, here's where I'm drafting and I'm fine with that:" Hamels, Bumgarner, Gallardo, Price, Lester) as where you want to grab a SP, you don't need to panic once Tier 2 is gone. If it's your pick and only Hamels has been drafted out of the 5 guys in Tier 3, draft a more scarce position/greater need and then you still will probably be able to get one of Bumgarner, Gallardo, Price, or Lester a round later. Also, as a rule of thumb with the tiers, the last guy in a tier will probably be a better relative "value" in the draft than the first guy. In other words, using the Tier 3 SP as an example, why draft Hamels in the 4th round when you can draft Lester in the 5th? They'll end the year with similar stats, but you've just acquired a better 4th round pick, too.

Finally, make a list or queue up a bunch of guys that you want to target in the latter rounds for your bench spots. These can be your high-upside guys, sleepers, bounce-back candidates, etc. The last thing you want to be doing in the late rounds is scrambling through the pre-rankings searching for a guy to draft while the clock is running down. This will only lead to a bench full of crappy, no upside, old guys that you'll be releasing to the waiver wire within the first 2 weeks of the season.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
12 tm roto keeper (keepers*), R, HR, RBI, SB, OPS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Net Sv, QS

C: Sal Perez
1B: Butler*
2B: Phillips*
SS: A. Escobar
3B: Sandoval
MI: Altuve
CI: Frazier
OF: Trout*
OF: Bruce*
OF: Des Jennings
OF: Fowler
Util: V-Mart
Bench Bats: Berkman, Chris Carter, Leonys Martin
Minors: B. Hamilton*
Minors: Arenado*
Minors: Eaton
SP: Felix*
SP: Bumgarner*
SP: Morrow
SP: Niese
SP: Minor
RP: Kenley Jansen
RP: Janssen
RP: Fujikawa
Bench Arms: Gee, Cashner, Porcello
Minors: Bauer

MinnieAndPaul

Postby MinnieAndPaul » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 pm

My 2c.

Before your draft, do a few mock drafts (you can do them on ESPN or Mock Draft Central), using Razzball rankings/tiers and experimenting with the aforementioned strategies to see what kind of team you end up with and what you think will work for you. A lot of mock drafters will abandon the draft before it is over, which means their teams will be auto-drafted using pre-rankings, so take the later rounds with a grain of salt.

I think Grey's Tiers are one of the most helpful draft tools, because it's more than just a straight-up list of guys from 1-300. You can see the value of players relative to other guys at the same position. The tiers are also helpful because you can identify a "range" of players that you want to grab; it's ok to like a specific player, but don't fall in love to the point where you are reaching way too high just to get him. For example, if you identify Tier 3 ("If I don't have one starter already, here's where I'm drafting and I'm fine with that:" Hamels, Bumgarner, Gallardo, Price, Lester) as where you want to grab a SP, you don't need to panic once Tier 2 is gone. If it's your pick and only Hamels has been drafted out of the 5 guys in Tier 3, draft a more scarce position/greater need and then you still will probably be able to get one of Bumgarner, Gallardo, Price, or Lester a round later. Also, as a rule of thumb with the tiers, the last guy in a tier will probably be a better relative "value" in the draft than the first guy. In other words, using the Tier 3 SP as an example, why draft Hamels in the 4th round when you can draft Lester in the 5th? They'll end the year with similar stats, but you've just acquired a better 4th round pick, too.

Finally, make a list or queue up a bunch of guys that you want to target in the latter rounds for your bench spots. These can be your high-upside guys, sleepers, bounce-back candidates, etc. The last thing you want to be doing in the late rounds is scrambling through the pre-rankings searching for a guy to draft while the clock is running down. This will only lead to a bench full of crappy, no upside, old guys that you'll be releasing to the waiver wire within the first 2 weeks of the season.

Thanks, I just did a quick mock draft. The first five round I got:

Braun
Kinsler
Wright
Greinke
Bruce

Was that a good start? Only thing was I didn't get a 1B in all of those picks.
12 Team H2H

C Ruiz
1B Votto
2B Kendrick
3B Inge
SS Seager
OF McCutchen
OF Pence
OF Heyward
Util Butler
Util Schafer
BN Longoria
BN Berkman
DL Howard

SP Bumgarner
SP Gonzalez
RP Rodney
RP Robertson
P Lester
P Sanchez
P Scherzer
P Lynn
BN Capuano
BN Marshall
BN Rodriguez

letsgobravos

Postby letsgobravos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 pm

My 2c.

Thanks, I just did a quick mock draft. The first five round I got:

Braun
Kinsler
Wright
Greinke
Bruce

Was that a good start? Only thing was I didn't get a 1B in all of those picks.
Which position were you drafting from? Greinke in the 4th is great. Bruce in the 5th is also very solid. I'm not a huge fan of Wright in the 3rd though, I probably would have taken Beltre instead if he was available. If you went this route in a real draft, I would be looking for Berkman, Young or Hosmer in the 6-7th round as your 1B.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”