12-team H2H draft in the books.

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Grey

Re: 12-team H2H draft in the books.

Postby Grey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Rudy should have a new post in a couple of days... Can try and ask him in the comments of the Fantasy Razzball signups... Hold on getting another/better pitcher for now...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Totally moot now obviously, but in the spirit of trying to learn from each draft, would the better strategy perhaps have been to have taken Prince at 10 and then hoped that Longo came back to me at 15? Longo's ADP at Yahoo looks to be 14.4...
This IS my f**king outlet!

Grey

Postby Grey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Yeah, that would've been better, but can never know if he'll come back...
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Thanks. No more 'what ifs', I promise (emoticon).

For an actual roster question, I know I just dropped Holland, but would you drop either Pestano or Cahill to pick him back up? Dropping Cahill would leave me a starter short of where I really want to be.

So I guess it boils down to who is closer to being a (ahem) closer - Pestano or Holland?

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:26 am

Drop Pestano for Holland...
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, that would've been better, but can never know if he'll come back...
Ha! Now it seems that every damn team I see either here or at the blog has Prince and Longoria in it.

Kind of like when you buy a new car that you didn't think was that common, you start seeing them everywhere (emoticon)

Rudy Gamble

Postby Rudy Gamble » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 am

Hey Steve!

Longo/Cargo is a great first two picks. I've been eyeing CarGo in every league (yet to nab him). I think I've drafted only 1B in the 1st round so far as I think 1B has a huge dropoff after Fielder/Teixeira and I haven't felt confident that one of the 1B comes back to me in the 2nd round. After that, the 'overpay premium' on 1B seems to skyrocket as you experience with Konerko (I don't have him in top 100).

The offensive foundation looks good. As you may have seen in my OBP/OPS/SLG Guidance (http://razzball.com/2012-point-share-gu ... obpopsslg/), Joe Mauer's value skyrockets if you add OBP - I think you got solid value with him at #87. The only pick I hate is Boneface since I discount SBs in H2H. I'd rather have someone who is going to deliver in the other categories - maybe someone like a Yunel Escobar is available on waivers?

Your pitching is going to hurt. I don't mind stocking up on hitting in the early rounds as H2H is really about matchups and sometimes a good starter going twice is more valuable than an ace going once. Bumgarner/Hudson are a solid duo that plays in my favorite division for pitchers. Pairing them with several other 1st/2nd year pitchers like Jay-Z and McCarthy was definitely risky.

A big question is whether you are in a daily vs. weekly change league. If it's daily, I like the MR investments. If weekly, I don't see any value in more than one MR for Holds. In either case, I think you'll need to work hard throughout the year in finding SPs off waivers/free agency. I'd look to unload some relievers (either saves or hold guys) if necessary. I'd focus on NL pitchers who play in a good home ballpark. Someone like Ted Lilly is unsexy but should put up good numbers for you when he's at home or at SF/SD.

Hope that helps...
OK - here it is. 5x5 plus OBP and Holds. Picked 10th. Have nowhere to put Rasmus, but couldn't just leave him there...

EDIT for Rudy - Leaving aside the four (!) risky pitchers, what do you think? Mauer and Youk got a bump due to OBP. Ever since the draft I've been beating myself up over whether I should have taken Prince with my first pick and hoping Longo got back to me. Interestingly, Point Shares actually like the Longo/Car-Go combo a little better than Prince/Longo...

Anyhow - most interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

1. (10) Evan Longoria (TB - 3B)
2. (15) Carlos Gonzalez (Col - LF,CF,RF)
3. (34) Jay Bruce (Cin - RF)
4. (39) Paul Konerko (CWS - 1B)
5. (58) Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B)
6. (63) Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP)
7. (82) Howie Kendrick (LAA - 1B,2B,LF)
8. (87) Joe Mauer (Min - C,1B)
9. (106) Daniel Hudson (Ari - SP)
10. (111) Jose Valverde (Det - RP)
11. (130) Emilio Bonifacio (Mia - 3B,SS,LF,CF,RF)
12. (135) Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
13. (154) Alex Rios (CWS - CF)
14. (159) Rafael Betancourt (Col - RP)
15. (178) Jhoulys Chacin (Col - SP)
16. (183) Jim Johnson (Bal - RP)
17. (202) Matt Thornton (CWS - RP)
18. (207) Jonathan Sanchez (KC - SP)
19. (226) Brandon McCarthy (Oak - SP)
20. (231) Vinnie Pestano (Cle - RP)
21. (250) Trevor Cahill (Ari - SP)
22. (255) Mark Melancon (Bos - RP)
23. (274) Greg Holland (KC - RP)
24. (279) Colby Rasmus (Tor - CF)

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Rudy - thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it. Responses to the points you raised below...
The only pick I hate is Boneface since I discount SBs in H2H. I'd rather have someone who is going to deliver in the other categories - maybe someone like a Yunel Escobar is available on waivers?
Yeah - that's a pick I owe more to Grey than to you ;-) I saw him there and figured he'd give me a better than even chance to win steals each week, considering the team I had drafted to that point. Yunel is not available, but these guys are:

Furcal
Cozart
Alcides
Lowrie
Yuniesky

Also, one team (autodrafted) has both Desmond and Erick Aybar on a team that also has Andrus and Tulo, so I assume they'll both (Desmond and Aybar) be hitting the wire soon. You like either of them better? Point Shares certainly seems to...
Bumgarner/Hudson are a solid duo that plays in my favorite division for pitchers. Pairing them with several other 1st/2nd year pitchers like Jay-Z and McCarthy was definitely risky.
Hmmm. Looks like you and Grey are on the same page here. In my defense, the autodrafted team also hoovered up Verlander, Hamels, Lester, Gallardo and Garza (!) so it got thin at the top pretty quick. Unfortunately, the pickings currently on the wire are pretty thin (we have a 10 pickup limit per week, so a lot of starters get drafted as streaming is thus more difficult), so I'll be working the wire for sure. Hopefully some useful guys get discarded by other along the way. Beyond my top 3, I don't feel particularly wedded to any of them, though McCarthy provides important WHIP help. For now do you like any of the following more than the guys I have:

Burnett
Lohse
Collmenter
Millone
Leake
Moscoso
Tomlin
Teaford
Bauer

There are a bunch more, but their WHIP is egregious and I'm sailing pretty close to the wind there as it is.
A big question is whether you are in a daily vs. weekly change league. If it's daily, I like the MR investments. If weekly, I don't see any value in more than one MR for Holds.
It's daily changes, and in fact my roster has changed a bit since I drafted. I've dropped Melancon for Peavy, Holland for Crain (on the day Soria's injury news came out!) and Pestano for Broxton. These were purely related to prospecting for Saves, and I felt like I was a starter short (the Peavy pickup). Again, not committed to these guys if they're not closing - Holds are everywhere (and there's always someone that pops up during the year). And I do probably only need one - I don't really have room for more than one on my active roster in any case.

Thanks again for your input. Always nice to have (something approaching) an Albright-Gamble consensus :-)

Rudy Gamble

Postby Rudy Gamble » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 am

Hey Steve -
Sorry for the delayed response - just swamped this time of year.

Those SS aren't really going to deliver much more value than Boneface. I'd hold tight and see if a better SS hits waivers. Maybe Boneface has some trade value to someone who is shy on SBs? The SP choices are real slim - I'd give Milone a shot since he plays in OAK. No idea what to expect from Lohse this year w/o Duncan in STL.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 am

I don't like bonefacio. Id take cozart.
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”