hanley or startlin 5 years from now

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
FantasyJunkie787
Sponsor
Sponsor

hanley or startlin 5 years from now

Postby FantasyJunkie787 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Who do you like better in a Dynasty league 14 h2h, Say 5 years down the road

Hanley or starlin castro?

Freak
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: hanley or startlin 5 years from now

Postby Freak » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:38 pm

I want the dictator.

FantasyJunkie787
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby FantasyJunkie787 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 pm

lol! i get it cuz of that dude in cuba! haha! i did let out a little lol! thanks man, anyone else?

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:21 pm

5 years from now Hanley will be 32, and if he continues to play like he has been this year, his last two seasons will be his two worst seasons of his career. It's almost unfathomable for a guy to peak at age 25, but maybe Hanley was a Latin 25?

Castro doesn't have the power or speed of Hanley, but 5 years from now I think he'll have developed into a 15/25 guy with high batting average upside. He's already shown great improvement at stealing bases; after going 10/18 for all of last year, he's 10/11 this year and we're not even at the All-Star break.

So on one hand you have a 27 year old who had his career worst season last year and is going to have a MUCH worse season this year. A guy who has had his work ethic seriously questioned numerous times, and when he's been called out for it, he has pretty much ignored it, continued to to what he wants, and even got his manager fired, more or less.
On the other hand you have a 21 year old showing great improvement on the base paths and with room to grow in terms of power. A guy who has ALSO been called out for his work ethic*, but responded by working harder and earning more respect.

I'd take Castro in 2016.

* - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... lin-castro

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 am

Here is my 2 cents. I don't think Castro will ever be the #1 SS. He will be a top level and competitive one, but never a first rounder and #1 at his position. Hanley was #1 SS and arguable #1 overall player this past year.

In 246 ab, HanRam has: 42/7/29/14
In 358 ab, Castro has: 46/2/38/10

And that was when Castro did hit over 300. If hanley was hitting over 300, their numbers would not be so close. Re: last two weeks. You know Hanley can hit 300 on his talent alone because he is still a career .307 hitter. If you made this trade in 5 years, I might take Castro, but then you lose out on the better player for the next 5 years. And still it might be Hanley. I might not want ARod over Lawrie 5 years from now, but would you want ARod or Lawrie between now and then? I don't think it is close.
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:40 am

Here is my 2 cents. I don't think Castro will ever be the #1 SS. He will be a top level and competitive one, but never a first rounder and #1 at his position. Hanley was #1 SS and arguable #1 overall player this past year.

In 246 ab, HanRam has: 42/7/29/14
In 358 ab, Castro has: 46/2/38/10

And that was when Castro did hit over 300. If hanley was hitting over 300, their numbers would not be so close. Re: last two weeks. You know Hanley can hit 300 on his talent alone because he is still a career .307 hitter. If you made this trade in 5 years, I might take Castro, but then you lose out on the better player for the next 5 years. And still it might be Hanley. I might not want ARod over Lawrie 5 years from now, but would you want ARod or Lawrie between now and then? I don't think it is close.

Yeah, I agree with all of this still. Hanley can still outproduce Castro right now; Castro needs a few years to reach his potential.

If the question was who I'd rather have over the next 5 years I'd still want Hanley, too, but as to who I'd want in 2016, I think Castro will have the edge by then.

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

A-Rod's Cousin

Postby A-Rod's Cousin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 am

A lot of baseball guys are saying Starlin will be the best SS to ever play for the Cubs, and that's a list that includes Ernie Banks. That's as high as upside gets.

Oregon Nut Cups

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm

To add a wrinkle to this argument, positional eligibility is a part of this conversation. Who's to say Hanley is an SS in 2 years? Not that Starlin is a great defender at this point, but Hanley has been talked of numerous times as moving to 3B. In 5 years I'd have to guess he'll be there. So part of this conversation is: in 5 years, which position will be thinner: SS or 3B?
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

To add a wrinkle to this argument, positional eligibility is a part of this conversation. Who's to say Hanley is an SS in 2 years? Not that Starlin is a great defender at this point, but Hanley has been talked of numerous times as moving to 3B. In 5 years I'd have to guess he'll be there. So part of this conversation is: in 5 years, which position will be thinner: SS or 3B?
That's like asking whose hair is thinner; George Costanza's or Frank Barone's?

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi

Prospects:

Results:

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”