Keeper League Draft Strategy

Start, sit, who to acquit? My QB just lost a finger, wuss, who should I pick up?
weas
Sponsor
Sponsor

Keeper League Draft Strategy

Postby weas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am

Hey guys, 12 team QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/TE, 6 pt passing TD, 0.5 PPR league and I'm wondering what to do with the 2nd pick. A LOT of the top guys are kept, so my options are listed below. I don't get another pick until 3.02 where likely Dez Bryant, Dwayne Bowe, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Ben Roethlisberger will be best available.

1. Fill my RB1 with Chris Johnson and move Hillis to the flex. Would probably follow this up with Bryant/Bowe at 3.02.
2. Fill my QB with Aaron Rodgers and would probably follow this up with Bryant/Bowe at 3.02.
3. Fill my WR1 with Andre Johnson and probably take Best/Moreno to fill my flex unless I was getting nervous about filling my QB slot.

QB:
RB1: Ray Rice
RB2: Peyton Hillis
Flex:
WR1: Mike Williams
WR2:
TE:

I am leaning towards taking Rodgers because I already have 2 solid RBs and I'm nervous about CJ2K holding out, but would starting 3 great RBs be a significant enough advantage to pass on Rodgers?

Hubrex

Re: Keeper League Draft Strategy

Postby Hubrex » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 pm

Depends on the QB's available in the league for me. I think A.Johnson would be my pick and then I would target a different QB. QB is super deep this year and there are very few WR on the level of A.Johnson. Really it is just him Calvin and Fitzgerald.

Do you have another WR you can keep instead of Hillis then take Rodgers and pick up a back later on. I think Hillis will have a very hard time repeating and is grossly overvalued. Although I love RIce this year to the point that I think he will finish as the top RB.

jimbodan

Re: Keeper League Draft Strategy

Postby jimbodan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:53 am

Hey guys, 12 team QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/TE, 6 pt passing TD, 0.5 PPR league and I'm wondering what to do with the 2nd pick. A LOT of the top guys are kept, so my options are listed below. I don't get another pick until 3.02 where likely Dez Bryant, Dwayne Bowe, Jahvid Best, Knowshon Moreno, Ben Roethlisberger will be best available.

1. Fill my RB1 with Chris Johnson and move Hillis to the flex. Would probably follow this up with Bryant/Bowe at 3.02.
2. Fill my QB with Aaron Rodgers and would probably follow this up with Bryant/Bowe at 3.02.
3. Fill my WR1 with Andre Johnson and probably take Best/Moreno to fill my flex unless I was getting nervous about filling my QB slot.

QB:
RB1: Ray Rice
RB2: Peyton Hillis
Flex:
WR1: Mike Williams
WR2:
TE:

I am leaning towards taking Rodgers because I already have 2 solid RBs and I'm nervous about CJ2K holding out, but would starting 3 great RBs be a significant enough advantage to pass on Rodgers?
I was in a very similar situation the other day. I took over someone's keeper team and had Rice, Andre Johnson, and Blount and I had the 1st overall pick. Apparently the guy traded a ton of draft picks to get Rice so after my 1st pick I had wait 2 full rounds to pick again and I was missing a couple other picks as well. I ended up taking Rivers 1st (best QB available and no top tier RB's or WR's were left, VJax was the highest ranked WR and Felix Jones and highest RB). After missing the next 2 rounds and not picking again until the end of the 4th round. I ended up with Britt at WR. If I would have waited on QB until my next pick instead of taking Rivers first, best available were Stafford, Flacco, Freeman, and Kolb so I'm glad I went QB.

I think if I were you I'd give serious consideration to Chris Johnson. In a normal re-draft league I'm not touching him. In a keeper league however I think I'd be ok with it since even if he misses time this year you'd have him for the foreseeable future. Aaron Rodgers would be my next choice probably but it would be close and depend on what other QB's you think would be available when you pick again. QB is really deep, but if you feel confident that you can get someone like Bryant/Bowe with your next pick then I'd do it.

Really a lot of it comes down to what will be available at your next pick vs. what's available now. If Rodgers is the last good QB available and if you wait you'd be stuck with someone like Freeman, then Rodgers is a no brainer, however if Rivers or Romo or P. Manning or even Schaub/Big Ben will be there when you pick again then I wouldn't take Rodgers 1st.

Return to “Football - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”