It's never too early, right?

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

It's never too early, right?

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 am

OK - here we go. We probably won't have to nominate keepers until auction day next year (probably just before the season starts), but I need something to occupy my mind until then.

Rosters this year were:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P.

Scoring categories were:

Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Games Started (GS), Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP).

These could change. e.g. we were supposed to have a 4th OF this year, but it never happened. Bearing all that in mind, here's what I had left at the end of the year, with prices to keep 'em in brackets.

C Buster Posey $5
1B Joey Votto $26
2B Robinson Cano $15
3B Mat Gamel $5
SS Stephen Drew $20
CI Ian Stewart $5
MI Alexei Ramirez $10
OF Dexter Fowler $5
OF Curtis Granderson $15
OF Carlos Gonzalez $5
Util Shane Victorino $17
BN Sean Rodriguez $5
BN Nolan Reimold $5

Max Scherzer $14
Matt Cain $15
Derek Holland $5
Fernando Rodney $5
Andrew Bailey $5
Jose Valverde $16

From the guys I bought I'd already kicked Zimmerman ($30), Rios ($25), Vlad ($25) Soto ($25), Beckett ($28) and Peavy ($33) to the curb.

Your early thoughts on who to keep, would be much, as always, appreciated.
This IS my f**king outlet!

Grey

Re: It's never too early, right?

Postby Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 am

OK - here we go. We probably won't have to nominate keepers until auction day next year (probably just before the season starts), but I need something to occupy my mind until then.

Rosters this year were:

Scoring categories were:

Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Games Started (GS), Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP).

These could change. e.g. we were supposed to have a 4th OF this year, but it never happened. Bearing all that in mind, here's what I had left at the end of the year, with prices to keep 'em in brackets.

C Buster Posey $5
1B Joey Votto $26
2B Robinson Cano $15
3B Mat Gamel $5
SS Stephen Drew $20
CI Ian Stewart $5
MI Alexei Ramirez $10
OF Dexter Fowler $5
OF Curtis Granderson $15
OF Carlos Gonzalez $5
Util Shane Victorino $17
BN Sean Rodriguez $5
BN Nolan Reimold $5

Max Scherzer $14
Matt Cain $15
Derek Holland $5
Fernando Rodney $5
Andrew Bailey $5
Jose Valverde $16

From the guys I bought I'd already kicked Zimmerman ($30), Rios ($25), Vlad ($25) Soto ($25), Beckett ($28) and Peavy ($33) to the curb.

Maybe I missed it, but how many keepers do you keep?
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 am

Nah you didn't. I'm a plonker. We can keep a max of six and the cost of the keepers comes off a total budget of $300.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Rosters this year were:

Scoring categories were:

C Buster Posey $5
1B Joey Votto $26
2B Robinson Cano $15
3B Mat Gamel $5
SS Stephen Drew $20
CI Ian Stewart $5
MI Alexei Ramirez $10
OF Dexter Fowler $5
OF Curtis Granderson $15
OF Carlos Gonzalez $5
Util Shane Victorino $17
BN Sean Rodriguez $5
BN Nolan Reimold $5

Max Scherzer $14
Matt Cain $15
Derek Holland $5
Fernando Rodney $5
Andrew Bailey $5
Jose Valverde $16

Plonker, nice term, never heard that before.

Fowler, Gonzalez, Victorino, Cano, Cain then Bailey, Stewart or Votto, but we'll need to revisit this next year.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Plonker, nice term, never heard that before.
Yeah - it's a goodie. It's a British term, thought you might have come across it when you were there. I guess putz is the closest US equivalent - in both senses!

Keeper-wise, whichever way I go, I'm going to have to pursue some power fairly aggressively, no?

Oh - and have you read this? Only just started it, but it's hilarious.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Keepers -- Yeah, you're going to have your fill of 20 steal guys, will need some power.

Haven't heard of that book. Currently reading the Mark Fidyrich book, No Big Deal
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:30 pm

That looks great - amazing how sport is littered with all these "one-hit wonders".

Just ordered James Ellroy's "Blood's A Rover" - can't wait to get my hands on that. Maybe American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand can be off-season projects for you ;-)

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm

The Tigers really abused this kid. They were worse than Dusty. He threw 24 complete games out of 29 starts and threw 10 and 11 inning complete games on some nights.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Gotcha. Sounds like he could have been something if not for that.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:09 pm

This was a great moment from his season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSDo3BX ... re=related
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”