First real draft of the season

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

First real draft of the season

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 pm

12-team H2H league at Yahoo (5x5 + OBP and Holds, LF/CF/RF, 1xUtil, no MI/CI). Could have some Save and WHIP issues, but real happy with the hitting...

1. (3) Hanley Ramírez (Fla - SS) - No loafing!
2. (22) Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B)
3. (27) Matt Kemp (LAD - CF)
4. (46) Justin Morneau (Min - 1B) - Relieved he fell to me...
5. (51) Jason Heyward (Atl - RF)
6. (70) Yovani Gallardo (Mil - SP)
7. (75) Chris Young (Ari - CF)
8. (94) Aaron Hill (Tor - 2B)
9. (99) Max Scherzer (Det - SP)
10. (118) Chris Pérez (Cle - RP) - Crazy early, but a lot of guys had gone. Putz was there but I was wary of him after the injury news today. Bailey there too but ditto on injury.
11. (123) Craig Kimbrel (Atl - RP)
12. (142) Manny Ramírez (TB - LF)
13. (147) Wandy Rodríguez (Hou - SP)
14. (166) Hiroki Kuroda (LAD - SP) - Not many Ks but nice WHIP to balance Gallardo/Scherzer
15. (171) Leo Núñez (Fla - RP)
16. (190) Jorge Posada (NYY - C)
17. (195) Edinson Vólquez (Cin - SP)
18. (214) Ian Kennedy (Ari - SP)
19. (219) Ryan Raburn (Det - 2B,LF,CF,RF) - Don't normally draft a bench bat in this league, but good value and eligibility.
20. (238) Edwin Jackson (CWS - SP)
21. (243) Jorge De La Rosa (Col - SP)
22. (262) Kyle Farnsworth (TB - RP)
23. (267) Octavio Dotel (Tor - RP)
24. (286) Jason Motte (StL - RP)
This IS my f**king outlet!

Grey

Re: First real draft of the season

Postby Grey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 am

12-team H2H league at Yahoo (5x5 + OBP and Holds, LF/CF/RF, 1xUtil, no MI/CI). Could have some Save and WHIP issues, but real happy with the hitting...

10. (118) Chris Pérez (Cle - RP) - Crazy early, but a lot of guys had gone. Putz was there but I was wary of him after the injury news today. Bailey there too but ditto on injury.
14. (166) Hiroki Kuroda (LAD - SP) - Not many Ks but nice WHIP to balance Gallardo/Scherzer
19. (219) Ryan Raburn (Det - 2B,LF,CF,RF) - Don't normally draft a bench bat in this league, but good value and eligibility.
I think your team is stacked where it should be (hitting) and a little weak on pitching which will be manageable. Wish you would've one less potential WHIP disaster, but it's not a huge deal.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I think your team is stacked where it should be (hitting) and a little weak on pitching which will be manageable. Wish you would've one less potential WHIP disaster, but it's not a huge deal.
Yeah, as I was going through, the one thing (apart from the closer situation) I wasn't quite happy with was Scherzer as my #2. I'd actually thought that taking Perez/Kimbrel back-to-back had done me in, but it actually wasn't.

In the 9th, when I took Scherzer - Liriano, Oswalt, Weaver and Haren had all been taken in the 8th, and then Cain right before me in the 9th. Any of those guys would have looked good with Gallardo, no?

I guess I could have taken a starter in the 8th, but I wanted Krispie there (he wouldn't have made it back) and generally in this draft when I had a hitting/pitching decision I went for the hitter which i think is the right thing to do in H2H.

I suppose I could have taken Bills or Marcum in the 11th rather than Kimbrel (Bills would have given me two guys from that tier, which feels better) and I was hoping Bills be there for me in the 12th, but he wasn't - and I was a bit nervous about Marcum's injury.

Does all that seem like a fair analysis?

Also - just dropped Motte for Rauch - right move? And should I drop Dotel for Ogando? He seems set to close if Feliz ends up in the rotation.

Grey

Postby Grey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, as I was going through, the one thing (apart from the closer situation) I wasn't quite happy with was Scherzer as my #2. I'd actually thought that taking Perez/Kimbrel back-to-back had done me in, but it actually wasn't.

In the 9th, when I took Scherzer - Liriano, Oswalt, Weaver and Haren had all been taken in the 8th, and then Cain right before me in the 9th. Any of those guys would have looked good with Gallardo, no?

I guess I could have taken a starter in the 8th, but I wanted Krispie there (he wouldn't have made it back) and generally in this draft when I had a hitting/pitching decision I went for the hitter which i think is the right thing to do in H2H.

I suppose I could have taken Bills or Marcum in the 11th rather than Kimbrel (Bills would have given me two guys from that tier, which feels better) and I was hoping Bills be there for me in the 12th, but he wasn't - and I was a bit nervous about Marcum's injury.

Does all that seem like a fair analysis?

Also - just dropped Motte for Rauch - right move? And should I drop Dotel for Ogando? He seems set to close if Feliz ends up in the rotation.
They would've looked better with Gallardo, but it's fine for H2H. You've played that format before, you have to scrap by some weeks anyway. Drop Motte for Rauch and Dotel for Ogando.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm

I really only drafted Raburn as a bench guy. However, Morrison is available. Does Raburn's multi-position eligibility still make him more useful than Morrison, given that this is an OBP league?

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Nah, you can go with Morrison.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks. One more - you like Niese better than any of my tail-end guys here?

Gallardo
Scherzer
Wandy
Kuroda
Kennedy
Volquez
Jackson
De La Rosa

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Hold for now.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 am

Ugh. Stupid injuries. Drafted Dotel then dropped him for Ogando. Should I grab him again? Other relievers are Perez, Kimbrel, Nunez, Farnsworth and Ogando. We count Holds too.

Grey

Postby Grey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Hold Ogando for now.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”