Bullpens. I couldn’t love them more. They are good and good for you like a bowl of prunes or a pile of old Mad magazines. So with the season approaching I delve into the Hold guys that you want to focus on if your league is awesome enough to include them as a counting stat category. Today is the NL edition, personally I like taking pitchers from the NL to add depth to my bullpen. They have to face weaker line-ups and more pinch hitters. So enjoy who I think you should own in the Who You Want category. I also added a few from each team for you to keep an eye on (but not get noticed doing it by your leaguemates) in the Peeping Tom category. By the by, Rudy just added Holds to the 2013 fantasy baseball projections.
Arizona – Hernandez is the heir apparent closer and a stud for holds a top 10 guy.
- Who You Want: David Hernandez
- Peeping Tom: Tony Sipp
Atlanta – Venters wasn’t what we expected last year, but was still decent. O’Flaherty goes basically everyday so monitor wisely.
- Who You Want: Johnny Venters, Eric O’Flaherty
- Peeping Tom: Luis Avilan, Jordan Walden
Chicago Cubs – Marmol sucks worse than sugar free cereal, Fujikawa has been great in Japan. That’s also another continent, you’re welcome for the free geography lesson.
- Who You Want: James Russell
- Peeping Tom: Kyuji Fujikawa
Cincinnati – Aroldis may pop his head in because Dusty is crazy, like a dirty fox crazy.
- Who You Want: Sean Marshall
- Peeping Tom: J.J. Hoover
Colorado – Colorado is a sinking ship and they aren’t even near water; Betancourt will be first closer traded before deadline, book that.
- Who You Want: Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle
- Peeping Tom: Wilton Lopez
Los Angeles – 3 closers or ex-closers in a bullpen means that someone is unhappy. Most likely you.
- Who You Want: Kenley Jansen
- Peeping Tom: Ronald Belisario
Miami – Yikes, run away; holds and saves, for that matter, will be scarce
- Who You Want: Mike Dunn
- Peeping Tom: Chris Hatcher
Milwaukee – I think the Brewhahaha’s can surprise this year, call me crazy. Lots of veterans and re-treads in this pen that are effective
- Who You Want: Jim Henderson
- Peeping Tom: Brandon Kintzler
New York – Me likey Edgin. Mets aren’t going very far, except to visit Bernie in prison.
- Who You Want: Bobby Parnell
- Peeping Tom: Josh Edgin
Philadelphia – Bastardo was the silky pajamas I wish I owned towards the end of last year. Great pen and a top 5 for me. Lots of options.
- Who You Want: Mike Adams
- Peeping Tom: Antonio Bastardo
Pittsburgh – A big turnover here as they rely on Grilli to be conclusionary. Could be great and unexpected or it could just be Pittsburgh
- Who You Want: Justin Wilson
- Peeping Tom: Jared Hughes
San Diego – A factory of bullpen sexiness in a completely “No Homo” way.
- Who You Want: Luke Gregerson
- Peeping Tom(s): Dale Thayer, Brad Brach
San Francisco – It’s already been said that it’s going to be a jumbled up mess for saves so holds shouldn’t be any different.
- Who You Want: Santiago Casilla
- Peeping Tom: George Kontos
St. Louis – The top bullpen in baseball. Period. Lots of good options and I won’t hate on any of them. Best part are the guys who don’t make the starting rotation
- Who You Want: Mitchell Boggs
- Peeping Tom(s): Edward Mujica, Randy Choate
Washington – Just a notch below the Lou but quality arms all over the place.
- Who You Want: Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard
- Peeping Tom: Christian Garcia