As you read in the title, this is the second installment of the bullpen check-up. Today we look at the American League. (The National League middle relievers post is there, and Grey’s Closer Look.) The options seem to be less as compared to the NL, but quality is still abundant. So enjoy my targets for Holds in the American league. As per the NL post the Peeping Tom’s are guys that you want to watch from a far, but don’t get caught looking too long because it’s the clinker for you or in actuality a miss on the waiver wire.
Baltimore – Very under-rated bullpen, Buck knows how to use the ‘Pen.
- · Who You Want: Pedro Strop, Darren O’Day
- · Peeping Tom: Brian Matusz
Boston – Miller seemed to find a role in relief and did well. Koji whined his whole time in Texas and it showed stat-wise.
- · Who You Want: Andrew Bailey
- · Peeping Tom: Andrew Miller, Koji Uehara
Chicago – I see good things for Jones as I look into my crystal urinal.
- · Who You Want: Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain
- · Peeping Tom: Nate Jones
Cleveland – Love Vinnie, and Allen has closer appeal written in a tattoo on his arm next to his mom’s name.
- · Who You Want: Vinnie Pestano
- · Peeping Tom: Cody Allen
Detroit – Benoit can’t go everyday; it’s a fact. Al can take the whole kiss the ball thing and run with it.
- · Who You Want: Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke
- · Peeping Tom: Al Alburquerque
Houston – Avoid like that Noid from Dominoes a hundred years ago.
- · Who You Want: Jose Veras
- · Peeping Tom: Wesley Wright
Kansas City – Lots of high K output guys to help out. Herrera is a closer in waiting and waiting for Holland to trip up.
- · Who You Want: Kelvin Herrera, Aaron Crow
- · Peeping Tom: Tim Collins
Los Angeles – Burnett gets lost in the shuffle with the change of leagues, was secretly effective for Washington.
- · Who You Want: Scott Downs
- · Peeping Tom: Sean Burnett, Kevin Jepsen
Minnesota – Like Burton, the rest are all if’s and but’s minus the soup and nuts
- · Who You Want: Jared Burton
- · Peeping Tom: Alex Burnett
New York – Robertson is the balls. Aardsma is returning form injury and has been getting good reviews for his throwing in early camp.
- · Who You Want: David Robertson
- · Peeping Tom: David Aardsma, Boone Logan
Oakland – Doolittle is a flame thrower, and reminds me a lot of Wilhelmsen, minus the whole bartender thing.
- · Who You Want: Ryan Cook
- · Peeping Tom: Sean Doolittle
Seattle – I think Furbush is a better starting option than the currently guy at the end of their rotation.
- · Who You Want: Carter Capps, Stephen Pryor
- · Peeping Tom: Charlie Furbush
Tampa Bay – McGee is by far my most sought after relief pitcher this year after Pestano. Peralta was the Holds leader from a year prior, which if history has a say isn’t good.
- · Who You Want: Joel Peralta
- · Peeping Tom: Jake McGee
Texas – Lindblom did great in Philly last year; stats back it up so I am not pulling rabbits out of an orifice. Font has K/IN potential and then some.
- · Who You Want: Josh Lindblom, Robbie Ross, Joakim Soria, Jason Frasor
- · Peeping Tom: Wilmer Font
Toronto – Santos may get some closer love in certain situations. Delabar is very wonky and effective all in one.
- · Who You Want: Sergio Santos
- · Peeping Tom: Steve Delabar