Eugenio Velez can:
- Run (118 SBs in the last 2 years in the minors, leads spring training with 13)
Eugenio Velez can maybe:
- Hit with some pop – Had 20 triples and 14 HRs in single A in 2006.
- Hit for some average – Hit around .300 the last two years in A and AA
Eugenio Velez cannot:
- Field very well at 2B or 3B. Probably sucks in the OF too (eligible at 2B only in Yahoo!).
- Who cares?
Eugenio Velez is an awesome sleeper pickup in fantasy baseball because:
- Kevin Frandsen on SF reportedly tore his Achilles’ tendon today, meaning SF only has four real options at 2B and 3B – Rich Aurilia, Ray Durham, Jose Castillo, and Eugenio Velez.
- Given the other three are average, injury prone, and much more boring to watch than Velez, I think they’ll give Velez at least 4 games a week in April and play him in a couple of positions like the Angels used to do with Chone Figgins.
- Based on the way he’s running, that could mean 10 April SB (imagine him running against Chris Young on SD…he might steal 2nd and 3rd on the same pitch!)