It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Steve Nash traded to the Lakers!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm 

Different number (Wilt's #13 is retired)...different jersey/colours...the West just got more interesting.

Last edited by BluePulaski on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Steve Nash traded to the Lakers!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

For two first round and two second round picks over the next three years, too.

He's 38 years old, so this isn't as amazing as it would have been 5 years ago, but still...it looks like the Heat aren't the only ones who can stock up and make a run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 am 

it does make one wonder...I can see why Nash wanted to stay in Phoenix...for his kids...he likes the team, owner, fans, organization...I guess it took him until now to realize that it is OK for him leave...make sure he doesn't regret it...he may have been able to win a championship the last couple of years depending on where he went...

...as for the Lakers...giving up the picks had to be done...they need to pay Nash, I believe under their trade exception,...they also had to make sure their bid was taken over other teams...the Suns might have been able to get more but it was partly appeasing Nash (even though he probably didn't demand anything)...Nash was able to set up his old team for the future and stay close to his kids...I think the Lakers could improve their backup PG situation...they will have to give Nash days/minutes off...and will not want to give up too many games...they'll want to stay in the top off of the draw come playoff time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am 

The Clippers seem like they are about to sign Jamal Crawford...though the Lakers don't seem to be in a position to sign any FAs right now, further trade action on their part, Crawford would be ideal...Nash and Kobe could get rest and you stick in Jamal to chuck the ball on his own for a bit...he's very valuable...if you're team is down by a lot...you stick him in their for the chance he gets hot...first stringers come back to handle the rest...the Clippers would be wise to get him...most teams would be

C - empty (will pick up a hot catcher when ready)
1B - E. Hosmer
2B - J. Kipnis
SS - T. Tulowitzki
3B - A. Beltre
OF - M. Trout, A. McCutchen, J. Upton
UTIL - G. Stanton, A. Rizzo, B. Harper, empty slot

PITCHERS: SP - S. Strasburg, A. Wainwright, G. Gonzalez, H. Iwakuma, S. Miller, K. Medlen, H. Ryu, M. Garza, A. Cobb, H. Bailey, R. Porcello, M. Estrada, W. Peralta, S. Gray, E. Ramirez
RP - A. Chapman, A. Reed, J. Benoit
N/A slot: M. Pineda. DL - C. Maybin, M. Moore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:08 pm 

Depends on the contract with Crawford. Those instant offense guys can start to look a little foosty when their shot isn't falling, and Crawford shot .384/.308 last year. His efficiency has also cratered the last couple of years and that makes him less appealing in the 6th man role. At last glance the offer for Crawford was 4 years at 25M. 6.25M doesn't seem bad for this year, but it's probably going to look like roadkill when he's 34 and 35. For fanatta purposes you just have to assume he's going to shoot your FG% in the face with a bazooka and draft accordingly.

As for Nash, I think he'll be about as good this coming year as he was last year, maybe even a hair better. He's got waaaay better finishers in LAL, and I don't think it's odd to think that he might lead the league in Ast one last time. Less points maybe, but more Ast, I think it works out unless his 3pt makes fall off a cliff for some reason.