It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: RCL A Latin 9 Team Division
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

To echo previous statements, this was a fascinating draft. I saw players come off the board ahead, sometimes well ahead, of where I expected, given my assumption that the vast majority of the league are regular readers here. The loss of certain players definitely changed the way I thought my team would look.

Rd 1, p4 - David Wright 3B - actually thought about Miggy, but had to face Grey in the morning..."do you still respect me?"
Rd 2, p21 - Prince Fielder 1B - ringing in my ears: "If you don't get one in this tier..."
Rd 3, p28 - Brandon Phillips 2B - maybe should've gone for a power OF, but Kemp was gone...
Rd 4, p45 - Carlos Quentin OF - wanted Alexei here but he was gone; besides, CQ sounds better than Al-Ram
Rd 5, p52 - Shane Victorino OF - I feel the need, the need for speed...
Rd 6, p69 - Josh Beckett SP - wasn't going to do SP until after Rd 6, but there's Josh on the street hiking his skirt at #69
Rd 7, p76 - Carlos Delgado Util or CI - too early for C or RP, so why not?
Rd 8, p93 - Brad Lidge RP - I lookup and say to myself, "Self, Lidge is still there" and Self replies, "Eh could do worse..."
Rd 9, p100 - J.J. Hardy SS - panic...shear panic...
Rd 10, p117 - Brad Hawpe OF - who knew Upton, Cruz and Milledge would be gone so soon; thought I'd be able to come to them
Rd 11, p124 - Adam Wainwright SP - Beckett needed someone to be the man...
Rd 12, p141 - Chien-Ming Wang SP - ...and someone to hold the camera
Rd 13, p148 - Chris Iannetta C - what was I thinking? I could've waited on this!!!
Rd 14, p165 - David Price SP - He'll be a starter...at some point...won't he?
Rd 15, p172 - Carlos Gomez OF - If he wears an "S" on his shirt, does that make him "S CarGo"?
Rd 16, p189 - Matt Garza SP - man, I didn't want so many AL pitchers...
Rd 17, p196 - Jered Weaver SP - ...but i just can't stop myself. I need AL-Anon
Rd 18, p213 - Dallas McPherson Util or CI - prolly should've ben Balentien 'cause he as a "W" in his name
Rd 19, p220 - Yunel Escobar MI - prolly should've been Burriss
Rd 20, p237 - George Sherrill RP - Someone to hold hands with Lidge on those long summer nights in the bullpen...
Rd 21, p244 - Jose Arredondo, RP - ...he's just here for the food
Rd 22, p261 - Franklin Gutierrez OF - nothing wrong with a little Fra-Gu, or, as I like to call him "Klin-tierrez"
Rd 23, p268 - Hideki Okajima RP - this was an affirmative action pick
Rd 24, p285 - Chris Dickerson OF - maybe, just maybe, he'll earn this 28th pick
Rd 25, p292 - Matt Thornton RP - uh...it was late?

C Iannetta
1B Fielder
2B Phillips
3B Wright
SS Hardy
MI Escobar
CI Delgado/McPherson
OF Quentin
OF Victorino
OF Hawpe
OF Gomez
OF Gutierrez
Util Dickerson/McPherson/Delgado

SP Beckett
SP Wainwright
SP Wang
SP Garza
SP Weaver
SP Price (eventually....)
RP Lidge
RP Sherrill
RP Okajima
RP Thornton
RP Arredondo
------------------------
I think I'm hurting in power, avg and Ks, but we'll see...

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
OF x 3 J Upton, A Jones, McCutchen
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
P Zimmerman, Moore, Cobb, Peavy, Ryu, Liriano, Straily
RP Wilhelmsen, Mujica, K-Rod, Jansen
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:09 pm 

hammerfish wrote:
Team: Yuck The Fankees

I agree with BKK in regards to this being a difficult draft....I blame you! (I'm pointing at Grey and Rudy). Since everyone (for the most part) seemed to have similar value on players it ultimately led to players going 1-2 rounds earlier than a typical ESPN or Yahoo! draft, with the exception of Mark Reynolds/CD-Lite who went 4 rounds earlier. (Great timing with that post Grey! :( )

I made a weak attempt to switch up my strategy midway and stack up on pitching but then got nervous between rounds 9-11. I started to fear that unless I grabbed some bats now I'd be left with Swisher and Span...doh!!
Unfortunately, by the time rounds 18-25 came around the Robax Platinum was in full effect and I'll have to admit, the concentration was not what it should have been.

All in all it was fun and it should be a challenging year.

Good luck everyone. (fingers crossed)

I think you started a trend. Nice write up. Really helps to know what guys were thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:54 pm 

cfrancis wrote:
Rd 1, p4 - David Wright 3B - actually thought about Miggy, but had to face Grey in the morning..."do you still respect me?"
Rd 2, p21 - Prince Fielder 1B - ringing in my ears: "If you don't get one in this tier..."
Rd 3, p28 - Brandon Phillips 2B - maybe should've gone for a power OF, but Kemp was gone...
Rd 4, p45 - Carlos Quentin OF - wanted Alexei here but he was gone; besides, CQ sounds better than Al-Ram
Rd 5, p52 - Shane Victorino OF - I feel the need, the need for speed...
Rd 6, p69 - Josh Beckett SP - wasn't going to do SP until after Rd 6, but there's Josh on the street hiking his skirt at #69
Rd 7, p76 - Carlos Delgado Util or CI - too early for C or RP, so why not?
Rd 8, p93 - Brad Lidge RP - I lookup and say to myself, "Self, Lidge is still there" and Self replies, "Eh could do worse..."
Rd 9, p100 - J.J. Hardy SS - panic...shear panic...
Rd 10, p117 - Brad Hawpe OF - who knew Upton, Cruz and Milledge would be gone so soon; thought I'd be able to come to them
Rd 11, p124 - Adam Wainwright SP - Beckett needed someone to be the man...
Rd 12, p141 - Chien-Ming Wang SP - ...and someone to hold the camera
Rd 13, p148 - Chris Iannetta C - what was I thinking? I could've waited on this!!!
Rd 14, p165 - David Price SP - He'll be a starter...at some point...won't he?
Rd 15, p172 - Carlos Gomez OF - If he wears an "S" on his shirt, does that make him "S CarGo"?
Rd 16, p189 - Matt Garza SP - man, I didn't want so many AL pitchers...
Rd 17, p196 - Jered Weaver SP - ...but i just can't stop myself. I need AL-Anon
Rd 18, p213 - Dallas McPherson Util or CI - prolly should've ben Balentien 'cause he as a "W" in his name
Rd 19, p220 - Yunel Escobar MI - prolly should've been Burriss
Rd 20, p237 - George Sherrill RP - Someone to hold hands with Lidge on those long summer nights in the bullpen...
Rd 21, p244 - Jose Arredondo, RP - ...he's just here for the food
Rd 22, p261 - Franklin Gutierrez OF - nothing wrong with a little Fra-Gu, or, as I like to call him "Klin-tierrez"
Rd 23, p268 - Hideki Okajima RP - this was an affirmative action pick
Rd 24, p285 - Chris Dickerson OF - maybe, just maybe, he'll earn this 28th pick
Rd 25, p292 - Matt Thornton RP - uh...it was late?

C Iannetta
1B Fielder
2B Phillips
3B Wright
SS Hardy
MI Escobar
CI Delgado/McPherson
OF Quentin
OF Victorino
OF Hawpe
OF Gomez
OF Gutierrez
Util Dickerson/McPherson/Delgado

SP Beckett
SP Wainwright
SP Wang
SP Garza
SP Weaver
SP Price (eventually....)
RP Lidge
RP Sherrill
RP Okajima
RP Thornton
RP Arredondo
------------------------
I think I'm hurting in power, avg and Ks, but we'll see...

Cool, love the writeup. I wouldn't have had a problem with Miggy there, but you won't be disappointed with Wright. I love CQ there. Hiking the skirt -- ha! I love Lidge there. Love Hawpe there too. Overall, I really like your team; you're relying a lot on Gomez to get you steals, but whatever SAGNOF. It'll work itself out. Your pitching staff is a little touch and go, but you should be able to grab people off waivers. Overall, nice team.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:52 pm 

First off, would just like to echo the sentiment that this was the toughest draft I've been in, although since I'd only been in Yahoo! public leagues before this year, that isn't saying much.

On to the analysis:

Rd 1, p7: Miguel Cabrera, 1B - Definitely a fan of Miggy at this spot; for some reason my projections are down on Sizemore, and Braun's got those injury questions, so I was pleased that Miggy fell to me.
Rd 2, p18: Matt Holliday, OF - Reached for Holliday here, but I'm down on Hamilton, didn't want to deal with potential "Manny-being-Manny" issues, and already had a 1B, so Berkman and Fielder were out.
Rd 3, p31: Dustin Pedroia, 2B - Reach here, too, but since Roberts went 2 picks later I don't feel too bad about it.
Rd 4, p42: Brandon Webb, SP - Was targeting either Guerrero or Rios and felt good about it b/c they were still there with 2 picks to go, but of course they were then taken back-to-back. Webb was the result of me panicking at that point.
Rd 5, p55: Russell Martin, C - In hindsight, definitely too early for a catcher, as I could have waited a round more. Other options I considered here were Halladay (but I couldn't justify back-to-back SP's at this point in the draft) and Chipper.
Rd 6, p66: Adam Dunn, OF - Stacking up on power, and taking advantage of the BA surplus Holliday + Pedroia create.
Rd 7, p79: Johnny Damon, OF - Looking back, would have preferred Pence, but at the time I thought I needed some more speed + BA to make up for taking Dunn.
Rd 8, p90: Chris Young, OF - Decided to be bold and buck the Razzball advice ("you don't want Krispie on the same team as Dunn ..."), since I could use the speed and figured I had enough BA pros to afford this con.
Rd 9, p103: A.J. Burnett, SP - Like the K's, the win potential. Don't like the WHIP or ERA, but they're acceptable. Hope he stays healthy.
Rd 10, p114: Jon Lester, SP - Above-average K's, nice win potential again, acceptable WHIP + ERA, and much more dependable than Burnett. Had wanted Harden instead, but he went two picks earlier, and in retrospect that's probably for the best. Would have had too much risk otherwise.
Rd 11, p127: Matt Cain, SP - Loading up on starters because I had identified my targets for 3B/SS, already had 4 OFs, and the closers available at this point didn't appeal to me. Cain has nice peripherals, and who knows, maybe this will be the year he gets the run support he deserves.
Rd 12, p138: Bobby Jenks, RP - Wanted Valverde, he got sniped, panicked, and decided I needed a closer. Hopefully the K-rate trend reverses itself, but I won't hold my breath. Is it bad to be saying SAGNOF about a 12th round pick?
Rd 13, p151: Kerry Wood, RP - Get them before they're gone!
Rd 14, p162: Orlando Cabrera, SS - I wanted O-cab and Theriot as my SS + MI, respectively, since for some misguided reason I still thought I was short on steals. I guess the Miggy pick way back when got me into that frame of mind and I never got out of it. At any rate, Theriot went earlier than I expected, but it all turned out well because ...
Rd 15, p175: Edwin Encarnacion, 3B - Hadn't checked on 3B in a while, and was shocked that EE was still sitting there. Snatched him up as fast as my greedy finger could click the draft button.
Rd 16, p186: Coco Crisp, OF - Did I mention the steals fetish I was experiencing during this draft? Anyhow, I had planned to draft a third closer since my first two are both ... un-awe-inspiring, to say the least, but bam-bam-bam went Capps, Bell, and Francisco, and even Lindstrom and Devine got taken.
Rd 17, p199: Chris Young, SP - Picked partly for the amusement factor of owning two of the same player. Other than that, I like the K-potential and he has decent peripherals. Plus, he owes me for getting injured last year.
Rd 18, p210: Huston Street, RP - more saves can't hurt, right? Hanrahan, my actual target for this round, went at the very top of the round, but hopefully Street will get his act together and put up some saves.
Rd 19, p223: Edgar Renteria, SS - Finally picked up a MI. Not a very impressive one, but the best of the bunch that was left, IMO.
Rd 20, p234: John Maine, SP - At least he has a respectable K-rate and a not-disastrous WHIP (You-baldy, I'm looking at'cha).
Rd 21, p247: Dan Wheeler, RP - nice peripherals; chance to pick up some saves when (not if!) Percival goes down.
Rd 22, p258: Mike Lowell, 3B - Lowell's looked real nice in Spring Training so far, especially the power. If he can get within sniffing distance of pre-injury Lowell, I've got a steal at CI.
Rd 23, p271: Dave Bush, SP - Not a great pick. Figured I could use him to make up for some below-average WHIPs on my staff, but I'm not sure if he'll really make a difference.
Rd 24, p282: Matt Joyce, OF - Really grasping at straws now. In hindsight, I would have preferred Dickerson, but oh well. Oh right, just remembered that my thinking was that Joyce usually gets hot for a few weeks and bashes 50% of his homers during his hot streak. I'll just drop him after his first such streak.
Rd 25, p295: Emmanuel Burriss, 2B - SAGNOF!

C Russell Martin
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Edwin Encarnacion (ick!)
SS Orlando Cabrera (yuck!)
MI Edgar Renteria (double yuck!)
CI Mike Lowell (triple yuck?)
OF Matt Holliday
OF Adam Dunn
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chris Young
OF Coco Crisp
Util Crap! what util? I knew I forgot something! Guess it's: Matt Joyce
Bench Emmanuel Burriss

SP Brandon Webb
SP A.J. Burnett
SP Jon Lester
SP Matt Cain
SP Chris Young
SP John Maine
SP Dave Bush
RP Bobby Jenks
RP Kerry Wood
RP Huston Street
RP Dan Wheeler

I think I went overboard drafting mediocre starters. Totally forgot about needing a Utility hitter, but hopefully someone decent will pop up on the wires that I can grab. The left side of my infield is a whole bunch of crap, but my OF is pretty strong, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck everyone!

C: Wieters
1B: MCab
2B: Zobrist
3B: Arod
SS: Peralta
OF: Beltran
OF: Ordonez
OF: Werth
Util: D. Lee
Bn: Manny, J.D. Drew, Beltre

SP: Beckett, Oswalt, Cain, Scherzer, Meche, Price
RP: Soria, Qualls, Downs
DL: Escobar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:04 pm 

pwangsta wrote:
Rd 1, p7: Miguel Cabrera, 1B - Definitely a fan of Miggy at this spot; for some reason my projections are down on Sizemore, and Braun's got those injury questions, so I was pleased that Miggy fell to me.
Rd 2, p18: Matt Holliday, OF - Reached for Holliday here, but I'm down on Hamilton, didn't want to deal with potential "Manny-being-Manny" issues, and already had a 1B, so Berkman and Fielder were out.
Rd 3, p31: Dustin Pedroia, 2B - Reach here, too, but since Roberts went 2 picks later I don't feel too bad about it.
Rd 4, p42: Brandon Webb, SP - Was targeting either Guerrero or Rios and felt good about it b/c they were still there with 2 picks to go, but of course they were then taken back-to-back. Webb was the result of me panicking at that point.
Rd 5, p55: Russell Martin, C - In hindsight, definitely too early for a catcher, as I could have waited a round more. Other options I considered here were Halladay (but I couldn't justify back-to-back SP's at this point in the draft) and Chipper.
Rd 6, p66: Adam Dunn, OF - Stacking up on power, and taking advantage of the BA surplus Holliday + Pedroia create.
Rd 7, p79: Johnny Damon, OF - Looking back, would have preferred Pence, but at the time I thought I needed some more speed + BA to make up for taking Dunn.
Rd 8, p90: Chris Young, OF - Decided to be bold and buck the Razzball advice ("you don't want Krispie on the same team as Dunn ..."), since I could use the speed and figured I had enough BA pros to afford this con.
Rd 9, p103: A.J. Burnett, SP - Like the K's, the win potential. Don't like the WHIP or ERA, but they're acceptable. Hope he stays healthy.
Rd 10, p114: Jon Lester, SP - Above-average K's, nice win potential again, acceptable WHIP + ERA, and much more dependable than Burnett. Had wanted Harden instead, but he went two picks earlier, and in retrospect that's probably for the best. Would have had too much risk otherwise.
Rd 11, p127: Matt Cain, SP - Loading up on starters because I had identified my targets for 3B/SS, already had 4 OFs, and the closers available at this point didn't appeal to me. Cain has nice peripherals, and who knows, maybe this will be the year he gets the run support he deserves.
Rd 12, p138: Bobby Jenks, RP - Wanted Valverde, he got sniped, panicked, and decided I needed a closer. Hopefully the K-rate trend reverses itself, but I won't hold my breath. Is it bad to be saying SAGNOF about a 12th round pick?
Rd 13, p151: Kerry Wood, RP - Get them before they're gone!
Rd 14, p162: Orlando Cabrera, SS - I wanted O-cab and Theriot as my SS + MI, respectively, since for some misguided reason I still thought I was short on steals. I guess the Miggy pick way back when got me into that frame of mind and I never got out of it. At any rate, Theriot went earlier than I expected, but it all turned out well because ...
Rd 15, p175: Edwin Encarnacion, 3B - Hadn't checked on 3B in a while, and was shocked that EE was still sitting there. Snatched him up as fast as my greedy finger could click the draft button.
Rd 16, p186: Coco Crisp, OF - Did I mention the steals fetish I was experiencing during this draft? Anyhow, I had planned to draft a third closer since my first two are both ... un-awe-inspiring, to say the least, but bam-bam-bam went Capps, Bell, and Francisco, and even Lindstrom and Devine got taken.
Rd 17, p199: Chris Young, SP - Picked partly for the amusement factor of owning two of the same player. Other than that, I like the K-potential and he has decent peripherals. Plus, he owes me for getting injured last year.
Rd 18, p210: Huston Street, RP - more saves can't hurt, right? Hanrahan, my actual target for this round, went at the very top of the round, but hopefully Street will get his act together and put up some saves.
Rd 19, p223: Edgar Renteria, SS - Finally picked up a MI. Not a very impressive one, but the best of the bunch that was left, IMO.
Rd 20, p234: John Maine, SP - At least he has a respectable K-rate and a not-disastrous WHIP (You-baldy, I'm looking at'cha).
Rd 21, p247: Dan Wheeler, RP - nice peripherals; chance to pick up some saves when (not if!) Percival goes down.
Rd 22, p258: Mike Lowell, 3B - Lowell's looked real nice in Spring Training so far, especially the power. If he can get within sniffing distance of pre-injury Lowell, I've got a steal at CI.
Rd 23, p271: Dave Bush, SP - Not a great pick. Figured I could use him to make up for some below-average WHIPs on my staff, but I'm not sure if he'll really make a difference.
Rd 24, p282: Matt Joyce, OF - Really grasping at straws now. In hindsight, I would have preferred Dickerson, but oh well. Oh right, just remembered that my thinking was that Joyce usually gets hot for a few weeks and bashes 50% of his homers during his hot streak. I'll just drop him after his first such streak.
Rd 25, p295: Emmanuel Burriss, 2B - SAGNOF!

C Russell Martin
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Edwin Encarnacion (ick!)
SS Orlando Cabrera (yuck!)
MI Edgar Renteria (double yuck!)
CI Mike Lowell (triple yuck?)
OF Matt Holliday
OF Adam Dunn
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chris Young
OF Coco Crisp
Util Crap! what util? I knew I forgot something! Guess it's: Matt Joyce
Bench Emmanuel Burriss

SP Brandon Webb
SP A.J. Burnett
SP Jon Lester
SP Matt Cain
SP Chris Young
SP John Maine
SP Dave Bush
RP Bobby Jenks
RP Kerry Wood
RP Huston Street
RP Dan Wheeler

I think I went overboard drafting mediocre starters. Totally forgot about needing a Utility hitter, but hopefully someone decent will pop up on the wires that I can grab. The left side of my infield is a whole bunch of crap, but my OF is pretty strong, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck everyone!

Great breakdown. Really enjoyed that. First off, Miggy's great at 7. Then you can probably see where your team took a left turn, but, if not, I'll say it. Webb did you in. Because you had Webb you couldn't take Halladay, who could be as good if not better than him then you compounded that by grabbing Martin. So with your first five picks you took a 15/15 2nd baseman, a 15/15 catcher and a 25/10 outfielder. Not really strong enough as you can imagine. Then from there you were fighting your way out. Now you have a strong outfield, so you can try to move some of them in a trade, but they're not the most appealing guys. I mean, I like them, but they're not exactly trade fodder. It's tough when your entire league is in here reading this, but I'd try to move Burnett and fix your middle infield or 3rd base or corner issues.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:33 pm 

For those of you with any interest. First trade of the season last Friday between Torre's Honker and Al KOHOLIC. Please feel free to ridicule, deride etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:39 pm 

I'd prefer to get the Pujols side, but it's fair.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 pm 

Grey wrote:
I'd prefer to get the Pujols side, but it's fair.

No one in the league seemed to object, but ya, Pujols side for me too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 pm 

Trade # 2 in the Latin 9: Created a bit of a stir from one owner in the league. Boils down to a bottom of the barrel donkey-corn for a 5-Cat lite OF'er. SAGNOF for SAGNOF. Pretty inconsequencial from my standpoint, but hey, I was one of the traders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 pm 

I can't see why someone would have thrown a fit about that trade. SAGNOF/SAGNOF, indeed.

2B - Danny Espinosa
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Josh Rutledge
OF - Adam Jones
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Drew Stubbs
OF - Starling Marte
UTIL - Billy Butler
Bench - Oscar Tavarez

SP - Hyun-Jin Ryu
SP - Kris Medlen
SP - Jarrod Parker
SP - Shelby Miller
SP - Alex Cobb
RP - Casey Janssen
RP - Kenley Jansen
RP - Brandon League

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next