It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The season where "don't pay for saves" is debunked
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

mdgross50 wrote:
Like I said Admiral, I won't try to convince you. I think I've said more than enough already.

Exactly.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I for one will never draft a closer in the first 10 rounds ever again. The last 2 years Ive done it it has bitten me in the ass. This year I said I wasn't going to do it but then everyone was loading up on other positions so I grabbed Storen, Madson, and Farnsworth. Guess what not only did I lose out on a SP and some power bats but I opened the season with no closer.

Last season I think it was Marmol and Soria. Bottom line the top 10 always seem to shift from season to season and nothing is guaranteed. I'd rather build a stronger offense, take some long shots or bottom third relievers, and wait for the inevitable fallout to occur and then pick up the pieces.

IMHO

C: Castro 1B: Pujols 2B: Espinosa 3B: Aviles SS: Tulo OF: Trout, Aoki, Crisp UTIL: Denorfia
BN: DL: Zimmerman, Bruce

SP: Teheran, Sanchez RP: Reed, Janssen P: Tillman, Porcello, Iwakuma
BN: Cobb, Wheeler, Hutchinson, Fister, Liriano DL: Lindstrom

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:02 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

It's odd because the 20th ranked closer is nearer in value to the 5th ranked closer than any other position, but no other position has such fluidity, especially this season. It's not like if you draft Tulo he's going to become a first baseman or a back-up shortstop.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm 

How about some success stories on here about how going cheap on saves this year has paid off? Surely someone on here was lucky enough to draw some aces for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm 

i didnt draft a single closer and i'm in first.

2b- Cuddyer
3b- Moustakas
ss- Alexei Ramirez
of- Granderson
of- Pence
of- Bj Upton
util- Trout
util- Craig
bn- Ackley
bn- Swisher
bn- Garnder
DL- Sandoval

Sp- Garza
Sp- Beachy
Rp- Casilla
rp- Robertson
p- Moore
p- Benoit
p- Chapman
p- Myers
bn- Lynn
bn- Garcia

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm 

I meant success stories that involved getting cheap saves. How are you doing in that area?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 pm 

I'm sure there are many success stories without paying for saves. In a 12 team mixed league, I waited until the late rounds of the draft for saves (drafted Jim Johnson, Frank Francisco and Brett Myers very late) and then I picked up Broxton off the waiver wire. I'm doing quite well in the saves category there and was able to use more high picks on offense. Last year, in an NL only league, I did not draft a single closer, but drafted Motte, picked up Salas on the wire, and traded for Kimbrel early (when there was uncertainty surrounding his ability to hold off Venters for the job). I did quite well in saves in that league as well and finished 2nd overall.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah, I said this earlier in this now very long string, but I drafted only joe nathan for 5 bucks, but picked up kenley jensen, casilla, and andrew bailey (for my dl spot) all off waivers. Now closer is a strength for my team.

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake
Util - Mike Olt
Bench - Alejandro De Aza
Bench - Abraham Alomonte
DL - Matt Kemp
DL - Cameron Maybin

PITCHERS:
SP - Homer Bailey
SP - Chris Archer
SP - Marco Estrada
RP - Ernesto Frieri
RP - Nate Jones
P - Rick Porcello
P - Drew Hutchinson
P - Brandon McCarthy
DL - Josh Johnson
Bench -Chad Qualls
Bench - Carlos Martinez

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:32 am 

In the last couple of years Heath Bell was one of the safest options out there and this year he's sucking hard. Last year Valverde didn't blow a save all year and this year he's been struggling. Brian Wilson has been a saves leader for several years and quite "safe". You list Papelbon as a "safe" option this year when last year he struggled quite a bit. Typically I've had no luck with any strategy regarding closers. I've been burned by top 3 guys (Putz 09), cheaper guys (Lidge, Fuentes, Franklin, Broxton '11), and everywhere inbetween. This year I took Valverde and Nathan and some guys I thought would get some saves and even with the closer turnover we've had this year, have been beaten to the punch on pretty much everyone that's gotten the job. Those of you not drafting closers and still ending up amongst the leaders in saves need to get into a league where people comb the wire for saves like mine. Only potential closers I've gotten my hands on like Cishek and Frieri have yet to get me a save. I've grabbed the wrong guy or been too slow in every case.

Closers are like predicting top kickers in fantasy football. They are necessary and can help you win a title but predicting them is damn near impossible.

P's Scherzer, Samardzija, Ogando, Nathan, Perez, Hanrahan, Betancourt, Fujikawa (DL), Streamer, Streamer

12-Tm Mixed league(OBP): Three Out Rally
C-Perez, 1B Votto, 2B Rutledge, SS Castro, 3B Longoria, MI (rotating door), CI I. Davis, OF Jennings, OF Choo, OF Aioki, OF Morse, OF Cruz, UT Moss, UT Cain, BN Young Jr., BN Bonifacio, BN Schierholtz, BN J. Francisco
P's- Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Ryu, Estrada, Lincecum, Quintana, Chapman, Holland, Wilhelmsen, League, Francisco (DL)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:08 am 

Men-in-Cleats wrote:
In the last couple of years Heath Bell was one of the safest options out there and this year he's sucking hard. Last year Valverde didn't blow a save all year and this year he's been struggling. Brian Wilson has been a saves leader for several years and quite "safe". You list Papelbon as a "safe" option this year when last year he struggled quite a bit. Typically I've had no luck with any strategy regarding closers. I've been burned by top 3 guys (Putz 09), cheaper guys (Lidge, Fuentes, Franklin, Broxton '11), and everywhere inbetween. This year I took Valverde and Nathan and some guys I thought would get some saves and even with the closer turnover we've had this year, have been beaten to the punch on pretty much everyone that's gotten the job. Those of you not drafting closers and still ending up amongst the leaders in saves need to get into a league where people comb the wire for saves like mine. Only potential closers I've gotten my hands on like Cishek and Frieri have yet to get me a save. I've grabbed the wrong guy or been too slow in every case.

Closers are like predicting top kickers in fantasy football. They are necessary and can help you win a title but predicting them is damn near impossible.

Just because you're not picking the guys up in leagues doesn't mean everyone else's league is filled with retards. In 2 of my leagues guys like Soriano, Broxton, Robertson (he should be drafted in all formats), Venters, Pestano, and this list goes on were drafted. So speculating on saves is part of draft strategies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next