LOGIN

Julio Borbon can steal 40-plus bases for your 2010 fantasy baseball team.  I really shouldn’t even have to say more.  And a lot of you probably won’t even read what else I write, especially the readers that found this because they searched Google for “Borbon fantasy” after hallucinations from drinking too much Wild Turkey.  Alas, I shall continue.  Last year, Julio Borbon hit .312 in 157 ABs.  As I tell the ladies, that seems like a small sample size but it’s not.  He should be in the .300 range in 2010.  Next, he stole 19 bases in more or less two months of full duty.  So 40 bases really isn’t that much of a long shot.  Emilio Bonifacio’s April 2009 comes to mind when I think of Borbon.  Borbon might steal 10 bases in April alone and be owned in all but the shallowest of ESPN leagues that are already abandoned.  (Don’t worry, Bonifacio’s May through September doesn’t come to mind.)  So Borbon’s SAGNOF!, got it.  But why is Julio Borbon a 2010 fantasy baseball sleeper?

Ellsbury, who’s being drafted around the 3rd round, is a 10 homer, 50 steal threat.  (Yes, he stole 70 bases last year, but we shouldn’t count on 70 bases from anyone.)  Borbon hit 4 homers in 46 games last year.  His minor league ground ball and fly ball rates were on par with his short time in the majors.  So he can get 8-10 homers next year.  As far as I’m concerned, that’s not exactly a termite-infested limb considering his home park.  If he hits 12 homers, I wouldn’t be shocked.  (At 15 homers, I’d consider notifying Snooki that Borbon might be a juice head.  Or sipping from the Ron Ron Juice.)  So a guy who can go 10/40 and is being drafted in the final rounds versus a 10/50 guy who’s going in the 3rd round?  Done, I’m getting drunk on Borbon.