LOGIN

This is what I’m hoping for… You know how in different cities — really just Philly, but I want it in different cities — there’s a core group of fans for a certain player and they personalize it with their own touch?  For instance, there was Padilla’s Flotilla, which saw fans paddling around in sombreros… Or The Wolf Pack, complete with werewolf masks… Or Moyer’s Lawyers; I hear they represented Mrs. Myers…  So at Nats home games, I want a group of fans dressed up in early-1900s, Austrian officer uniforms.  They can be the House of Strasburgs.  Every time Stephen Strasburg strikes someone out, they do the call and answer chant of, “Who’s house?” “Strasburg’s house!”  Then Mike Aubrey, the DC realtor with a Hitler ‘stache, goose-steps through the bleachers and they all run for the hills, singing the title song from “The Sound of Music.”  Or not.  So much has already been written about Stephen Strasburg and he’s yet to throw a pitch for the Nats, but can he help you for 2010 fantasy baseball?

Maybe.  Best case scenario is a 3.50 ERA and 120 Ks in 100 innings after a June call-up.  Terrific, ownable, not draftable for where he’ll be taken.  (This doesn’t count for keepers.  There I can see going after him.)  Rookies are already risky endeavors.  Rookie pitchers, more so.  The last seven number one draft picks were Delmon Young, Matt Bush, Justin Upton, Luke Hochevar, David Price, Tim Beckham and Strasburg.  One guy in those seven helped you in 2009.  Two and a half guys are draftable for 2010.  Yes, for the first time in his life, Delmon Young is being considered a half of a man…. Like he’s any smaller than the 1/2 on that Charlie Sheen/Jon Cryer sitcom.  Right now, Strasburg is pitching just over a 5 ERA in 4 starts in the Arizona Fall League.  Doesn’t matter, he’ll probably still be hyped in 2010.  Wait to see how Strasburg pitches in the spring.  If he pitches well, cool, let someone else waste a higher than warranted draft pick on him, then watch Strasburg sit in the minors for a few months.  Strasburg should be a great one, but let some other poor schmuck get the ill-advised chest tattoo that reads, “Strasburg for Prez in 2010.”