It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: coming back
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm 

coming back to roto/fantasy baseball after a few years hiatus. used to play back in the day of bonds and walker and maddux (the cub and early brave etc). in fact don slaught was my catcher in a league. i used to do quite well but the years and knowledge and feel for the game (roto that is) is not as sharp as it was.
i teach and am joining a league with some students and was wondering: ????

we are in a ten team, mixed league H2H yahoo league. i was wondering if with those parameters your player evaluations and rankings would work?

love the sight and humor and writing etc etc. as i read i agree with almost all you say and evaluated, but just wondered if the amount of teams and the format still makes the rankings good?

again thanks for the site and the sharing of the talent and all the work. you are now bookmarked and are pretty much the only site i use for input and insight.

mac

Post subject: Re: coming back
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 pm 

Thanks! Good to have you back. The rankings will work fine for you. Only adjustment I'd make is in H2H I'd look to find more steady contributors. For instance, Utley would be better than Howard cause Utley is more steady where Howard goes on tears when he's great for a month then really terrible. Doesn't change the rankings much, just need to keep an eye on getting steady guys.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 am 

Punting categories in H2H can be excellent, too. I generally punt BA. Adam Dunn, Dan Uggla, Mark Reynolds, Willy Taveras, Carlos Gomez, Michael Bourn, Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell can all be had at good value, and you almost ensure victory in HR, RBI, R and SB.

Also, @Grey, why is a consistent player better than a streaky one?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 am 

A consistent guy will help you every week where as a streaky guy will help you more than you need one week and not at all other weeks. You want help every week, say a 1 HR every week compared to 10 HRs one week then 0 the next.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 am 

was wondering if time permitted if a list of whom you consider "more" consistent players could be made? maybe like 5-10 at each position, nothing too detailed. but guys like laroche who don't even start playing till the all star break. cust askin? thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:21 pm 

i was wondering if in all the sabermatics and roto categories that are available is there one i can look at (such as shandlers forecaster or one of the other guys) that can offer some help in predicting a players consistency in regards to a h2h league. i'm looking to avoid a ryan howard type thing. thanks mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 pm 

Sorry, I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:47 pm 

ok thanks anyway. guess i'll just take your ratings and rankings along try to remember who the howards of the world are.