It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Loading Up on Starters
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 am 

I love this post...

EDIT: Weird that it would know before you posted though, if you look at the timestamp.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Loading Up on Starters
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:55 pm 

6 teams loaded up on starting pitching yesterday to finish off their allowable starts.

The Vincibles (Cracking The WHIP)

Grey mentioned in his borderline starters post (http://razzball.com/borderline-fantasy- ... s-week-26/) that Friday was a good day for streaming, and, (I know this will surprise you) he was right! I actually won a (public) league last year by starting 8 pitchers on the last day of the season, so I've been anxious to try it again this year. Grey also said that the last day is a good day for streaming, as players have already checked out, but I can't wait that long!

I had no pitchers starting Friday, so I had to pick up 9.

Since my ERA/WHIP going in was 3.858/1.307, I'm obviously very happy with 2.90/1.11. My ERA is now a season best 3.826. My WHIP dropped to 1.300. I gained a point in Ks and half a point in Wins. Unfortunately, my hitting (6/32, 0 HR/0 RBI) lost me a point.

Prague Defenestrators (The Beer League)

The Defenestrators jumped into the title hunt in The Beer League, gaining 4 points and pulling to within 1 of the lead. They were fortunate enough to have their 5th round pick, Jered Weaver, to build around. Weaver pitched another fine game, but failed to win #19.

Afghanistan Buzkashi (RCL 7)

Stretched their lead in the tight RCL 7 from 2 to 5.5 points Friday. Despite an amazing 2.15/0.79 ERA/WHIP, they only managed 2 wins. Unfortunately, they lost their #2 starter to a rainout.

The Buzkashi lowered their ERA from 3.627 to 3.574 and their WHIP dropped to 1.211 from 1.226.

Simply Fred (ECFBL)

Being in the toughest league, Fred didn't have as many good pitchers to choose from as some of us.

SF Champs (Slam and Legs Special)

The Champs were trying to solidify their hold on 2nd place, but Pomeranz and Stewart blew up their ERA and WHIP.

WoodyPaige AllStars (Ones are GOOD right?)

Tony's bad luck continued, as he lost his #1 starter to a postponement.

I also wrapped up a team on Wednesday:

The Jets (RCL 33)

I guess there was a reason Ohlendorf was 0% owned.

Last edited by VinWins on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 am 

2 more teams tried their luck Saturday, with Retro Vertigo using 9 starters and Better Lucky 8.

Retro Vertigo (ECFBL)

They pulled to within 2.5 points of leader THE VILLE AL KOHOLIC A on Friday, but couldn't close the gap Saturday. Ian Kennedy once again came through, but Aaron Harang was the only other pitcher to pick up a win. Kyle Lohse pitched 7 solid innings, but the Cubs waited until the 9th to give the Cards the game.

Better Lucky Than Good (Partially Torn RCL)

Better Lucky's ace, Justin Verlander, did not come through, so only Harang provided a win. It didn't help that the Rangers used Alexi Ogando for just 2 innings. They did still record an impressive WHIP, though. And, since BLTG is sitting with an unreal 118 points, I guess this won't hurt too much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:01 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

That's quite a pitching line your team in RCL5 had yesterday, Vin. 7 Wins! And you picked up 8.5 points (including taking a 1/2 point from me!) in the standings. Gotta be the single best last-ditch stream effort I've ever seen. Incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:28 pm 

Yeah, quite unbelievable. Of course, a lot of teams still have starts left, and I will lose some of those points. But, I'll enjoy it while I can! (That was today, Sunday, unless it is already Monday where you are!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:42 pm 

I already lost 1 of those points I gained today!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm 

VinWins wrote:
Better Lucky's ace, Justin Verlander, did not come through, so only Harang provided a win. It didn't help that the Rangers used Alexi Ogando for just 2 innings. They did still record an impressive WHIP, though. And, since BLTG is sitting with an unreal 118 points, I guess this won't hurt too much.

Nah, it didn't hurt me too much, but I'm a greedy li'l pig and I was really hoping I'd finish with 119 points and maybe get into the RCL record books. And I was pretty close too until those meddlin' kids (Verlander, Teaford and (especially) Surkamp) whizzed in my cereal bowl.

Now I have to hope that Broth's Bombers decides to buy an ERA/K lottery ticket and trots out 6-7 starters. I think that's my only chance of catching him on ERA. Of course, it could be that all his pitchers throw the games of their lives and he cements his ERA while taking a point away from me in K's.

Either way, it's been a helluva run this year. Every time I thought my team had turned a corner (the wrong corner), I turned out to be wrong. They just never turned into the suck.

I already can't wait 'til next year.

C: Brian McCann (kept 1 yr @ $5)
IB: Eric Hosmer (through 2016, $17)
2B: Anthony Rendon ($5)
3B: Manny Machado (through 2016, $14)
SS: Ian Desmond (kept 1 yr @ $8)
MI: Jean Segura (through 2017, $10)
CI: Edwin Encarcion (kept 1 yr @ $27)
OF: Bryce Harper (through 2015, $14)
OF: Nick Castellanos ($7)
OF: Ben Revere ($5)
OF: Curtis Granderson, ($8)
OF: Brett Gardner ($4)
Util: Billy Butler ($13)
P: Stephen Strasburg (kept 1 yr @ $14)
P: Michael Pineda ($4)
P: Danny Salazar (through 2017, $14)
P: Aroldis Chapman (kept 1 yr @ $21)
P: Zack Wheeler (through 2017, $14)
P: Grant Balfour ($13)
P: Nate Jones ($10)
P: Yordono Ventura ($8)
P: Sonny Gray ($14)
B: Miguel Montero ($4)
B: Gregory Polanco ($3)
B: Denard Span ($1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 am 

3 more teams reached reached the start limit with a bang Sunday.

Toronto Bautistas (RCL 5)

My last team to reach 180 starts had my best pitching day ever. 7 of the 9 starters picked up wins! My ERA dropped from 3.71 to 3.67. I gained 7.5 points in the standings as well. However, many of those points will disappear over the next 3 days as other teams continue to use their starters. Plus, I was down 4 points for the week going in.

I was fortunate that Halladay and Kershaw both pitched on the same day, as their previous starts were not on the same day.

Plucky Kiwis (Original Recipe)

Steve trotted out 7 starters, and came away with 5 wins and great ERA and WHIP. He also struck out more than my 9 starters in 7.2 fewer innings, with the help of 4 from Papelbon. He gained 4 points in the standings to pull within 1.5 of 3rd place.

Colicky Fuddruckers (League of Razz and Balls)

The Fuddruckers, one of the top teams in the RCL, started with Halladay and added 8 starters Sunday. The 8 managed only 1 win, matching Roy's total for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 am 

There ended being a lot of great starts from usual mediocre pitchers yesterday.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:10 am 

Grey wrote:
There ended being a lot of great starts from usual mediocre pitchers yesterday.

Yeah, I knew that was going to happen...didn't I mention that?