It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My first-ever 10-team draft
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:23 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yup, that's right. Reyes at 8. Ridiculous. Rest of it pretty good I think, although the pitching feels a bit scratchy. BTW 25 rounds, CI + MI, 5 OFs, 9 P, 3 bench.

(8) Jose Reyes SS
(13) Mark Teixeira 1B
(28) B.J. Upton CF
(33) Aramis Ramirez 3B
(48) Alexei Ramirez 2B
(53) Carlos Quentin LF
(68) Joey Votto 1B
(73) Chad Billingsley SP
(88) Brad Lidge RP
(93) Raul Ibanez LF
(108) Adam Wainwright SP
(113) Brad Hawpe RF
(128) Jered Weaver SP
(133) Jair Jurrjens SP
(148) Chris Iannetta C
(153) Kelly Johnson 2B
(168) James Loney 1B
(173) Chad Qualls RP
(188) Mike Gonzalez RP
(193) Johnny Cueto SP
(208) Nelson Cruz RF
(213) Wandy Rodriguez SP
(228) Dallas McPherson 3B
(233) Grant Balfour RP
(248) Scott Downs RP

Post subject: Re: My first-ever 10-team draft
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Was this an ESPN mock? Just did one, couldn't access the first 10 rounds or so but turned out nice once I got on.

Nice team, Reyes at 8? WTF?

10 team Roto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:49 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah - ESPN.

The rankings are all over the place so it can be a bit hard to find your guys.

Be nice if they had a 12-team option.

At least two guys said they hated the Mets so wouldn't draft Reyes.

Thanks fellas!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:54 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah, had a hard time finding them too. Did you notice there's no SP or RP in the search, just P. Don't like that at all.

And Sandoval has no catcher eligibility, wtf?

10 team Roto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

ESPN sets their minimum at 20. Sandy only had 11.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Steve,

Pitching is a major concern for this team. A staff of Billingsley, Wainwright, Weaver, Jurjjens, Cueto, and Wandy has way too many question marks for me. After Wainwright (who I think you bit early on), it goes downhill fast. Yes, you got a lot of arms that Grey likes, but I think you also missed out on better, more reliable options in the meantime.

How do you feel about having only two closers? I know Downs and Balfour might get you 15-20 saves, but is that enough to get you to 90? I probably would have skipped Wandy, who will probably be available on waivers for most of the year, and selected another closer late, any closer.
EDIT: You drafted Lidge so early that I didn't even see him there. Ignore this paragraph. Still, ditch Wandy and grab a closer.

Also, for such a soft staff, I'd like to see way more offense, especially in the outfield. If Cruz can produce, that's a great snag so late. Otherwise, Upton, Quentin, Ibanez, and Hawpe aren't exactly striking fear in the hearts of opponents. This is a deceptively slow team as well. Maybe you can do that with Reyes at the top, but I feel like any team with Reyes should be a lock for 12 points in SBs with moderate speed throughout the lineup.

I'm not a big fan of taking Alexei at 48, but that's right around where he is being drafted. Reaching for Votto in the 7th doesn't make much sense to me when you already have Teixeira, but I'd have to see who else was available to make a huge fuss about it.

All in all, with proper management, this could be a competitive team, but you'd really need things to work out in the arms race to cash.

Steve wrote:
Yup, that's right. Reyes at 8. Ridiculous. Rest of it pretty good I think, although the pitching feels a bit scratchy. BTW 25 rounds, CI + MI, 5 OFs, 9 P, 3 bench.

(8) Jose Reyes SS
(13) Mark Teixeira 1B
(28) B.J. Upton CF
(33) Aramis Ramirez 3B
(48) Alexei Ramirez 2B
(53) Carlos Quentin LF
(68) Joey Votto 1B
(73) Chad Billingsley SP
(88) Brad Lidge RP
(93) Raul Ibanez LF
(108) Adam Wainwright SP
(113) Brad Hawpe RF
(128) Jered Weaver SP
(133) Jair Jurrjens SP
(148) Chris Iannetta C
(153) Kelly Johnson 2B
(168) James Loney 1B
(173) Chad Qualls RP
(188) Mike Gonzalez RP
(193) Johnny Cueto SP
(208) Nelson Cruz RF
(213) Wandy Rodriguez SP
(228) Dallas McPherson 3B
(233) Grant Balfour RP
(248) Scott Downs RP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:46 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Steve,

Pitching is a major concern for this team. A staff of Billingsley, Wainwright, Weaver, Jurjjens, Cueto, and Wandy has way too many question marks for me. After Wainwright (who I think you bit early on), it goes downhill fast. Yes, you got a lot of arms that Grey likes, but I think you also missed out on better, more reliable options in the meantime.

How do you feel about having only two closers? I know Downs and Balfour might get you 15-20 saves, but is that enough to get you to 90? I probably would have skipped Wandy, who will probably be available on waivers for most of the year, and selected another closer late, any closer.
EDIT: You drafted Lidge so early that I didn't even see him there. Ignore this paragraph. Still, ditch Wandy and grab a closer.

Also, for such a soft staff, I'd like to see way more offense, especially in the outfield. If Cruz can produce, that's a great snag so late. Otherwise, Upton, Quentin, Ibanez, and Hawpe aren't exactly striking fear in the hearts of opponents. This is a deceptively slow team as well. Maybe you can do that with Reyes at the top, but I feel like any team with Reyes should be a lock for 12 points in SBs with moderate speed throughout the lineup.

I'm not a big fan of taking Alexei at 48, but that's right around where he is being drafted. Reaching for Votto in the 7th doesn't make much sense to me when you already have Teixeira, but I'd have to see who else was available to make a huge fuss about it.

All in all, with proper management, this could be a competitive team, but you'd really need things to work out in the arms race to cash.

Thanks for the input, sean.

Yeah - the pitching didn't feel that good as I was drafting. It seemed to get thin pretty quick. Either that, or I had trouble finding guys in amongst the rankings! Certainly didn't want to take Weaver, Jar-Jar etc when I did, but was struggling to find those reliable guys (or maybe I need to change my mindset about some SPs).
I had thought my OF was a good mix of upside and reliable production, but I guess it does lack a true stud. My thinking was that what I lacked in the outfield, the slack could be picked up at 1B, 3B and CI. Votto's being drafted around there from what I've seen and the chance to pair him with Tex seemed to good to pass up.

Ah well. Better that these things happen in February and not March...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:31 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Steve, I apologize if that came off as being harsh. Just trying to help and just my opinion, which very well may be off. Feel free to set me straight haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

No, no, no - not at all harsh. Valid points all and I really value your input - and your taking the time to provide it.