It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Change in ESPN scoring?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 am 

Hey, I thought you might know the answer to this... I can't find anything definitive in my searches of the ESPN rules. Did ESPN change the way they handle pitching stats once the Games Started limit is reached (roto)? It used to be, none of your pitching stats counted after you hit the limit (starts or relief appearances). However, an owner in my league reached the limit about a week ago and I just noticed last night that 5 Ks from two relief pitchers were added to his total.

Post subject: Re: Change in ESPN scoring?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 am 

I never saw anything about a change, but I have also noticed reliever stats being counted after the limit is reached.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

And this is the problem I was talking about with a GS limit rather than an IP limit. It's, IMO, unfair that a team can continue to accrue pitching stats after their "GS limit" has been reached. I don't know if you can use IP limit rather than GS in ESPN, but, again IMO, that's the biggest change that needs to be made for RCLs next season. Next would be deeper benches and another DL slot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm 

You can set an IP limit in ESPN instead of a GS limit.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way it is. I figure it is the same for everyone, and just another rule you can use to your advantage or ignore. As has been mentioned previously, the 180 limit really allows for strategic usage. For me, no limit probably works best, since I don't use much strategy other than "If I own them, I use them."

And, of course, it's always hard to get a consensus on rules changes.

One that definitely needs to be considered is if someone offers you Bautista for Holliday, you have to accept it (yeah, I'm still crying about that).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm 

I've got to admit I'm a little confused now. Speaking of the RCL leagues specifically, once a team has reached their GS limit, do the stats still count for RP's going forward?

(RCL Champions League) My Mustache Has A Mustache
C - Ramos
1B - Goldy
2B - Kinsler
3B - Pedro
SS - Zobrist
MI - Rendon
CI - Napoli
OF - Ellsbury, Victorino, A.Jackson, Cruz, C.Carter
UT - Sandoval
BE - A.Guerrero
SP - Yu, MadBum, Dickey, Haren, Buchholz, C.Martinez
RP - Rosenthal, Uehara, C.Janssen, Hawkins, Herrera

(RCL) You're Teheran Us Apart
C - Castro
1B - Edwin
2B - Zobrist
3B - Longo
SS - ECab
MI - Rendon
CI - Teixeira
OF - A.Jones, Kemp, D.Brown, K.Davis, C.Carter
UT - Frazier
BE - Dee Gordon
SP - MadBum, Bailey, Smyly, Pineda, Yordano, Kennedy
RP - Nathan, Robertson, Grilli, Melancon, Herrera

(RCL) Buy Me Some Peanuts n Crack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:02 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

VinWins wrote:
You can set an IP limit in ESPN instead of a GS limit.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way it is. I figure it is the same for everyone, and just another rule you can use to your advantage or ignore. As has been mentioned previously, the 180 limit really allows for strategic usage. For me, no limit probably works best, since I don't use much strategy other than "If I own them, I use them."

And, of course, it's always hard to get a consensus on rules changes.

One that definitely needs to be considered is if someone offers you Bautista for Holliday, you have to accept it (yeah, I'm still crying about that).

Oh I realize it is what it is for this season...but no reason a change can't be considered for next year.

And Bautista hasn't really done crap the last month plus....so I wouldn't be too disappointed there. (Although I'm not sure how Holliday's done since I don't own him anywhere.) If you had only made that offer 3 weeks earlier...I would have been all over it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I've only played at ESPN since the RCLs started up - so 3 years now - and I'm almost certain it has always been the case that you continue to accrue stats from relievers once the GS limit is reached.

Could be wrong of course, but pretty sure I'm not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:28 pm 

RandomItalicizdVoice wrote:
I'm not sure how Holliday's done since I don't own him anywhere. If you had only made that offer 3 weeks earlier...I would have been all over it.

Holliday did great for me (.347/6HR/31 RBI) before I traded him for Halladay. So Bautista wouldn't have improved me that much. I wouldn't be upset if you turned down my offer, but it was the other way around! You were offering to trade Bautista for a "quality outfielder" but it was so early in the season that it didn't make sense to me to give up my 2nd round pick.

A Hill O' Beans wrote:
Speaking of the RCL leagues specifically, once a team has reached their GS limit, do the stats still count for RP's going forward?

Yes. Relievers' stats will still be counted after the Games Started limit is reached.

Steve wrote:

Does seem pretty unlikely, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

VinWins wrote:
RandomItalicizdVoice wrote:
I'm not sure how Holliday's done since I don't own him anywhere. If you had only made that offer 3 weeks earlier...I would have been all over it.

Holliday did great for me (.347/6HR/31 RBI) before I traded him for Halladay. So Bautista wouldn't have improved me that much. I wouldn't be upset if you turned down my offer, but it was the other way around! You were offering to trade Bautista for a "quality outfielder" but it was so early in the season that it didn't make sense to me to give up my 2nd round pick.

A Hill O' Beans wrote:
Speaking of the RCL leagues specifically, once a team has reached their GS limit, do the stats still count for RP's going forward?

Yes. Relievers' stats will still be counted after the Games Started limit is reached.

Steve wrote:

Does seem pretty unlikely, doesn't it?

Certainly in my experience ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 am 

Thanks for the replies, all.

So yeah, RP credit is definitely still earned. I watched this guy's team closely last night and he was showing a 17 K increase, with 16 of them coming from SPs. Today, after the rollover and official tally, he only has a 1 K increase. Also, if I now look at his lineup for yesterday, all of his SP lines are zeroed out like they didn't happen, but the one RP line is still there.

I wonder if ESPN accounts for recently converted RPs (guys who still have RP as their primary position)... meaning, if they make a start (or if an RP makes a spot start), will credit for all stats be given?