It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Read this article about brains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Dave Duerson had so much going for him. A former professional American football player, he still carried himself with the bearing of a star. In Chicago, he was feted as a member of the legendary 1985 Bears that won the Super Bowl, thrashing the New England Patriots 46-10. In New York, too, he was fondly remembered as a member of the Giants team that took the Super Bowl championship five years later, squeaking to victory over the Buffalo Bills by just one point.

He had friends throughout the sport, acquired over an 11-year career with the National Football League (NFL) and many years subsequently helping younger and less fortunate players find their way. He had a loving family with three sons and a daughter and a former wife, Alicia, who kept in regular touch, as well as a girlfriend to whom he had recently become engaged. He lived in a condominium that he owned on Sunny Isles Beach in Florida, a barrier island close to Miami dubbed the Venice of America. He was smart, charming, as kind and gentle off the field as he had been aggressive and ruthless on it.

But he knew that he had a problem. There were the outward signs of difficulties – the collapse of his business, the breakup of his marriage, the debts. But there were also the internal changes. The lapses in memory, the mood swings, the piercing headaches on the left side of his head, the difficulty spelling simple words, the blurred eyesight. And hanging over it all was his fear that both his material and physical decline might not be coincidental, that they might have been caused by injuries to his brain suffered playing the game he loved so much – football.

On 17 February 2011, aged 50, Duerson killed himself inside his Florida apartment. He did so in a manner that was in keeping with his unimpaired earlier self – meticulously, neatly, and with a thought to others. He had placed his NFL Man of the Year trophy, awarded in 1987, on a table beside the spot at which he fell, along with several notes setting out his financial and other arrangements. One of the notes carried a request that he repeated in a text message earlier that day to his ex-wife, Alicia. "Please, see that my brain is given to the NFL's brain bank," he said.

The request might have been deemed a quirk had it not tallied with the unusual method of Duerson's suicide. He shot himself in the heart.

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... -destroyed

Post subject: Re: Read this article about brains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 pm 

That's kinda depressing.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am 

Here is a recent article about helmet research and concussions:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook-110719_virginia_tech_helmet_study&sportCat=nfl&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_MostSent

I think were going to hear many more bad stories about athletes and brain injures as this unfolds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

From what I understand, though, concussions occur from bruising to the brain. So, technically, you could headbang to some Exodus and give yourself a concussion because your brain is slamming around inside your skull. A helmet won't necessarily prevent that, it will just stop you from cracking your skull.

EDIT: Oh, I see the article touches on that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

ChrisV82 wrote:
From what I understand, though, concussions occur from bruising to the brain. So, technically, you could headbang to some Exodus and give yourself a concussion because your brain is slamming around inside your skull. A helmet won't necessarily prevent that, it will just stop you from cracking your skull.

EDIT: Oh, I see the article touches on that.

Are we talking Toxic Waltz Exodus or that new anti-Hollywood stuff? That could have an impact on the severity of the concussion.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:30 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hmm, good question. The new stuff is faster but less inviting for a mosh, so maybe we should consider Toxic Waltz-era for hamstring and ankle injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

It's probably a good thing that I cut my hair back when I had to get a job then, because late 80's and early 90's thrash has always incited headbanging from me.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez