It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Early Keeper Evaluation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm 

There are still 3 games left in the '08 season and the 'perts are already talking about keepers for '09. Of course, anything could happen over the winter to your players (ACL tear, Guitar Hero mishap, attempted murder conviction in Venezuela) and many leagues' keeper deadlines aren't until March. I'm still curious, however, which players commentors think would be the best keepers for me to retain going into next year.

League details: 12-team, head to head, 22-man roster, 10 keepers each season.

Of the 24 players (2 were taking up DL spots) I will have on my roster at the end of '08, the following are who I'm considering keeping:

Soto
Morneau
Wright
Rollins
McLouth
Kemp
Atkins
Furcal
Crawford

E. Santana
Lincecum
Jobacum
J. Shields
Zambrano
Gallardo

Of those 15 or so players, which 10 should I think about keeping?

Post subject: Re: Early Keeper Evaluation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm 

VanHammersly wrote:
There are still 3 games left in the '08 season and the 'perts are already talking about keepers for '09. Of course, anything could happen over the winter to your players (ACL tear, Guitar Hero mishap, attempted murder conviction in Venezuela) and many leagues' keeper deadlines aren't until March. I'm still curious, however, which players commentors think would be the best keepers for me to retain going into next year.

League details: 12-team, head to head, 22-man roster, 10 keepers each season.

Of the 24 players (2 were taking up DL spots) I will have on my roster at the end of '08, the following are who I'm considering keeping:

Soto
Morneau
Wright
Rollins
McLouth
Kemp
Atkins
Furcal
Crawford

E. Santana
Lincecum
Jobacum
J. Shields
Zambrano
Gallardo

Of those 15 or so players, which 10 should I think about keeping?

Soto
Morneau
Wright
Rollins
McLouth
Kemp
Crawford
Lincecum
Ervin
Shields

Gallardo and Jobacum are contingent on a bunch of offseason things that are unknowable right now. As of right now, Gallardo is too risky and Jobacum's in the minors/bullpen. If Gallardo shows he's ready for the season in spring, he bumps out Shields. If Jobacum makes the rotation, he's more intriguing, but still probably someone to let pass.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:57 am 

Who knows what you would be getting with Furcal. As this last April demonstrates, he has huge upside, but there is no way you can take a chance on him.

Soto, Wright, Morneau, Rollins, and Crawford are no-brainers in your batter pool. Lincecum is the only no-brainer pitcher, but you might also consider Zambrano. I know that everybody is expecting his arm to give out any day now, but if he makes it through the playoffs in one piece he will be decent trade bait early next year. If you don't want to bet on Big Z, go with Shields. Either way, that leaves three spots open.

Kemp, McLouth, and Santana are probably the way to go. Kemp has big upside and is entering the stage of his career where a huge breakout is a possibility. McLouth tried to breakout earlier this season, but couldn't quite finish. Still, he's got the potential even if his team is a liability. I am not a fan of Santana, but, assuming he stays with the Angels, he's on a winning team in a weak division.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 am 

Thanks for the advice, guys. I agree that Furcal, Scherzer, and Gallardo are all big question marks heading into next year. With that said, I would love to target both pitchers, although I imagine both will go very quickly--in the 11th or 12th rounds--in this league.

I know Crawford is a no-brainer keeper but I feel that, aside from a week here and a week there over the past 2 seasons I've owned him, he is never too helpful and even prior to his injury this year I was benching him regularly in favor of a hot Elijah Dukes or even Matt Joyce when he had a favorable match-up. If Crawford gets off to a good start in April, I almost certainly want to deal him.

Soto also seems like a necessary keeper even though I don't like keeping catchers because, like Grey's post this morning says, you're often better off finding hot hands on waivers. The nature of a keeper league alters that strategy a bit since I won't really be "over-drafting" Soto by keeping him, but at the same time, I can see Garrett Atkins having a more productive 2009 season if he finds himself in a more consistent situation (i.e., not moving him around defensively from 3rd to 1st to account for the Rockies' injuries this season) in a hitter's park. Most Rockies, save for Holliday, had shitty seasons in '08 compared to their career norms and what expectations held. Of course, his road line is pretty atrocious outside of Coors.

Lastly, I think I'll be hard-pressed to keep Zambrano. He pitched erratically at times the past two seasons I've owned him, but when he's pitching well he's a great asset. I think that he will have to be monitored through the winter and even throughout spring training to basically be a keeper deadline decision for me.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:51 am 

Good followup post. Glad I was able to be of some assistance.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.